Rumor: Next Xbox Could Run Windows

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
I'm very conflicted about this. I admit whole heartedly I'm one of the biggest PC gaming snobs you are going to find. The vast majority of console games to me are a very small step above pulling a lever, seeing the big plastic arrow spin, and learning that "The Duck says, QUACK QUACK QUACK". Ideally I would like to keep console and PC gaming as far apart as humanly possible.

I've witnessed the cesspool that is Xbox Live and PSN and those people seem like like the absolute lowest of lifeforms. I don't want to share a platform with those people, I don't want to interact with those people, and I sure as Hell don't want people designing the games I play with those mouth breathers in mind.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
ehh, I seem to remember ms promising this sort of functionality before, I have doubts since for a console to run an os like windows it would need to be alot beefier, unless somehow microsoft managed to make a "windows lite" version or something, which I have doubts they could do

oh, and FUCK these captcha ads

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Alfador_VII said:
OK, Next Xbox runs Windows, and Windows 8 will run Xbox games?

Remind me again of the difference between a PC and a console.
The former gets viruses, the other doesn't have major compatability errors that stop you playing games.

No, I am not gonna stop talking about how much trying to game on a PC has been fucking me over.
You're stuck with what you get in the latter, and the games cost half as much again.

No, I am not gonna stop talking about how little the price difference is.

OT: Then it'll be the perfect time for someone to come in with a better OS available for PC gaming. Its bad enough when multiplatform games share the same UI in the PC and console versions, let alone an entire fucking OS that's been stretched across them.

(And in case they haven't taken the hint, we don't want them on the fucking PC. GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE you fucking arse holes.)

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Ruairi iliffe said:
So its come full circle at last, Consoles just being prebuilt Game pcs, eh?
Indeed. That's where Microsoft started isn't it?

Alfador_VII said:
OK, Next Xbox runs Windows, and Windows 8 will run Xbox games?

Remind me again of the difference between a PC and a console.
What difference?

Xbox proved this conclusively anyway. (The original, not the 360) - Seriously, look up it's specs; It reads like that of a cheap PC of the period. (Hard Drive, DVD drive, Intel Celeron Processor. Nvidia graphics chip.)

For that matter, hackers have gotten original xboxes running normal versions of windows anyway. Further proving they were in fact just very cheap PC's.

Anyway, this is still just a rumour, but it fits together nicely with the 'windows 8 can run xbox 360 games' one. (And the fact that Xbox controllers have worked on PC's since, well, forever.)

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Funny, the way the gaming industry treats players you'd think 90% of the 360s already do, just not willingly. I suppose if this turns out to be true Microsoft is taking the 'if you can't beat them (in our paranoid little pseudo-minds), join them' approach.

And it's about damn time, too!

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
It makes sense.
Consoles are becoming more and more like homecomputers already.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Has anyone tried to explain to Microsoft the concept and drawbacks of a monoculture? Cause apparently they need to be told this repeatedly, Navi-like, until they get it.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Does this mean we will all be controlling our PCs with Xbox controllers? Seems logical since Microsoft doesn't let you use PC peripherals on the Xbox.

DrunkDonut

Dec 30, 2009
Xanthious said:
I'm very conflicted about this. I admit whole heartedly I'm one of the biggest PC gaming snobs you are going to find. The vast majority of console games to me are a very small step above pulling a lever, seeing the big plastic arrow spin, and learning that "The Duck says, QUACK QUACK QUACK". Ideally I would like to keep console and PC gaming as far apart as humanly possible.

I've witnessed the cesspool that is Xbox Live and PSN and those people seem like like the absolute lowest of lifeforms. I don't want to share a platform with those people, I don't want to interact with those people, and I sure as Hell don't want people designing the games I play with those mouth breathers in mind.
And I can say us console gamers Don't want to interact with you snobs so no offence taken.
But I would love to see the COD/Halo fan boys interact/talk to PC snobs.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
To be honest I saw this coming but it can only work if they killed the console as a normal console and make it an affordable Xbox branded gaming PC. I don't want Windows on my Xbox, I want XBL on my PC and cross platform gaming between PC and Xbox!

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
So they are turning a console that is a computer in to a computer... Hooray technology!
Thank you Microsoft, you are extremely smart people.

-.-

So now they are admitting that consoles are just computers with parts that can't be changed and limited interface...

FranckN

Mar 14, 2011
this is not just a scam for selling you the operating system and the console all in one pack, don't you microsoft?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I think dropping the Windows brand name would be a bad idea. There is way to much brand recognition to change it at this point.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Makes sense, especially since Windows 8 looks like it was designed to be an Xbox interface to begin with..