Rumor: "Nintendo Fusion" Is Nintendo's New Next-Gen System

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Akichi Daikashima said:
Dragonbums said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
Wait what?

...They already have a next gen console?

WHAT?

WHAT IS HAPPENING?

HAS SATORU IWATA IMPLODED UPON HIMSELF?

WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?

WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS FUSION THING? ALL THEY NEED IS BETTER MARKETING AND MOAR GARMS.

Seriously, what? I do not know what to make of this.
Don't be surprised. Honestly all three manufacturers start planning for new consoles the moment they release their next gen console (and if not immediate a year or so later) from there it's all a guessing game on what their competitors might implement, how much power they are going to use, etc. etc.

As everyone else has stated though, these specs seem to be a load of ass. I'm also highly doubtful that something that leaked this early. Especially from Nintendo.

Didn't we learn about not taking anonymous sources to heart?
I am still confused: so they are making/planning a new games console?

Like, a year after the WiiU launched?

I know that manufacturers like to think ahead, but this seems way too soon.
They are most likely already planning their next console, but right now it'll be nothing more than some ideas scrawled up on a chalkboard deep within Nintendo HQ. Games consoles aren't just thrown together in 12 months, you know, there are many, many years of research and development that go into each box.

However, the specs listed in the article are - as has been said before in this comments section - complete bullish!t.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Isn't it actually pretty common for electronics companies to work on another project after releasing the latest one?

Though, in this industry, rumors turn out to be true more often than not.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
This is at least the second Nintendo story I've read this month on this site that has ZERO credibility, due to it being TOTALLY unsubstantiated.

Seriously, can someone please knock off this crap? Or make up some more plausible or entertaining BS?

How about -

"Rumor: Reggie Fils-Aime gains his power from a hacked Virtual Boy that peers into the 8th dimension"

"Miyamoto ironically killed by an overturned farm truck filled with giant mushrooms"

"Nintendo is rumored to be purchased by Disney. JJ Abrahms to direct the Mushroom Kingdom Hearts movie."

Really its not that hard, you know when you are pulling shit out of your ass that is.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
How likely is it that Nintendo goes third party after this gen? They're bleeding money with the Wii U.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Oh boy....

Akichi Daikashima said:
HAS SATORU IWATA IMPLODED UPON HIMSELF?

FUSION
It's all becoming clear now!

No but really, I do wonder where they're going with this. Also, they should totally use the likeness of King Dedede's weapon of choice for that processor, that'd be awesome.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
SirBryghtside said:
james.sponge said:
I'd like to see a new Metroid Prime instead, a good one that is.
Mybe it's an ARG, it does share the name with a Metroid game after all :p
Didn't Reggie hint that Retro will make another Metroid after Tropical Freeze?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kmadden2004 said:
If this rumour is true, then I'd put money on nothing coming from it (at least publicly) for another two or three years minimum. As bad for business as the Wii-U may be, it would be even worse for Nintendo to just abandon it within a couple of years of its debut
Both systems are new enough it'd be borderline suicide, yeah. Especially the Wii U though. Could you imagine the loss of consumer faith if they dropped the Wii U or even released another console at this point?

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
While I have no doubt that Nintendo already has people working on its next consoles (those of which we probably won't hear about for a good two years), I'm extremely skeptical of the specs presented here. There are lots of features/parts on those two lists that Nintendo could never afford. (See; gorilla glass, thumbprint security scanner, Radeon HD RX 200, etc.) Also, who would include a coaxial cable in any modern electronic device?

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
You know how I know this is nonsense? "2816 shaders @ 960 MHz"
Unless this is coming out in 2+ years not happening.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Stavros Dimou said:
What's the point of putting a super-top processor that would cost $500+ alone in a system with just 4gb ram,when 4gb ram have been a limit for so many games 1,2,and 3 years ago,and most modern systems (even budget computers) come with 8gb of ram ?
Something's not right here,it's suspicious because this hardware configuration is way unbalanced,in no way someone with at least some knowledge of computer technology would make this.

It's like putting a 650bhp engine that can output 300mph speed in a car, along with breaks that are only for cars with 60mph max speed.
Uhhh, you do know that less than 6 months ago all AAA titles had to live with 512MB of RAM...
I agree with your point, 4 is a stupidly small number in this day-and-age... But for the majority of last year 512 was the limit...

But yeah, as with everyone else, this is completely fake... At least within a reasonable time period....
Either that, or, Nintendo has completely lost their marbles:
Refusing to join the x86 architecture... EDIT: it says it's a 64 bit processor, so this point is probably wrong
Using a MODERN DAY top-end GPU...
Full SSD storage...

Unless the network overhaul they did in December made several brand-new servers to download from, a fully digital console isn't going to work...

Too expensive, too powerful, too stupid...

The Wii U might just be beyond help...

Hell, most people who bought the Wii probably didn't know that the console alone wasn't the be all and end all... I remember news reports saying that when the Wii U was released there were idiots buying the tablet controller separate then yelling at Nintendo for mis-informing them....

Zelda and Mario can't carry a console... And although buying Bayonetta might've been a step in the right direction, the hardware is the main thing that drove me (and my friends) away from the console...
All that said, I don't want Nintendo to leave the games market, they at least make consoles for games... Not media streaming and the other crap....

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Interesting

Now, as for new hardware, unless the console wing is on par or superior to the newly released console, there is no point. It would like flushing money down the toilet. Sure the integrated w/ a handheld device certainly changes the overall dynamic but if that idea was a failure for the WiiU, and the console is sporting inferior specs that make it harder for developers to quickly transition titles for multiplatform, then effectively nothing has changed and it will be a failure.

On the handheld wing. I do find it both interesting and disappointing. For a rumored device that does not even exist yet, stands to reason it should not look on par stat wise with already available eastern market KIRFs. That said, if by some miracle there were a LEGAL way to run android on the handheld, I would likely eyeball it pretty heavily for that purpose. However the most likely reality is that will be very unlikely if at all possible. If stuck in locked down proprietary OS, it would be worthless to me.

So the synergy vibe this would be trying to hit seems really hollow because it looks more like an updated name to sound edgy, and repackaging what they tried with the WiiU, with likely better implementation of it, behind system specs for both devices that seemingly fall short, and if that is in fact the case then the device comes with built in fail guaranteed because of an unnecessary hamstringing that makes it harder to get devs to do 3rd party work, which will in turn gut the total game library and effectively have put this device in the exact same position where the WiiU is now.

Nintendo has proven in the past they "CAN" do hardware well. They have also survived by relying on proprietary software first, but with failing 3rd party support that has really just been trudging along with a mortal wound and surviving really just means, not dead yet. While nintendo does make great games and has historically epic properties, there is simply no practical way any company can thrive on their own properties alone. Especially a company that has historically let their own high standards cock block chances for profitability and long term solvency.

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
I'm... pretty sure Nintendo has stated previously that they start development on each gen right after the previous one comes out. Didn't they say, when the Wii U came out, that they'd been working on it since the release of the Wii?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I didn't even bother reading very much of this. Nintendo is not going to go the way Sega did with their Saturn, 32X, Dreamcast, etc. Doing this would cause dis-trust in Nintendo's brand. People would more than likely not go and get the new one I'm sure. Hell, even if the WiiU isn't selling, abandoning it now would be the WORST idea for them. This kind of rumor junk has been spewing for awhile now. This one is no different

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Akichi Daikashima said:
I am still confused: so they are making/planning a new games console?

Like, a year after the WiiU launched?

I know that manufacturers like to think ahead, but this seems way too soon.
Well, yeah.

Initial designs for the Playstation 3 began in 2000, if not earlier. That was when the CELL processor started being created, as well.

It's one of the reasons console hardware has tended to be a few years behind PC hardware right out of the gate for the past decade.

But yes, these specs seem incredibly suspect, especially given the fact that you couldn't find specifics about the Wii U's hardware even for a few months after the console had actually launched. While I wouldn't be surprised if they're planning for the future already, Nintendo is the last company I'd expect to release a console that's more expensive than a high-end gaming PC.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Yeah, fake.
They're coming out with Super Smash Bros for the WiiU soon enough, I seriously doubt that they're about to release a new console already.

DelphiSantano

Feb 11, 2009
These specs are rubbish, the required consumer price point alone says that.
And while the Wii U hasn't exactly had the best year sales-wise, it's very far from an "unmitigated disaster". It is still a high-quality console, it's just suffering from lack of adoption.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
I do admit, combining the Wii U with the 3DS into one console sounds like a neat idea with quite some potential... but the problem with the Wii U is, and has always been, a rather barren library of games because every other developer just says "screw it, we are developing for PS4 and XBOne only".

Starblazer117

Jan 21, 2009
T-Shirt Turtle said:
I'm never really that good at understanding tech specs. Such things look like scientific arglebargle to me. Are these specs better than the Wii U or the 3DS?
The terminal specs Better than both the PS4 and Xbox1 put it that way.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Yeeeah, Satoru? Can we talk for a minute? Thanks.

We don't need bigger tech. We don't need stouter hardware. We don't need something that sticks closer to what the Bjg Two are doing. What we need is more games, and less of your usual "Mario, Metroid, Zelda or bust" attitude.

Grow the fuck up. Realize that painting yourself as the one true "family" console does nobody any favors. Offer the hardcore gamers the same opportunities as other console manufacturers *and* also include family-friendly content. You'll fix half of your problems. Open up to third-party content, because God knows the median age for most gamers has progressed so much that most of us think it's absolutely normal to see showers of blood and graphic displays of gore in our games. Do that while still safeguarding your Mother Mary complex by putting out your usual iterations of your core safe, sterile, tried and proven franchises.

Okay? Thanks.