Rumor: Nintendo to Unveil New Hardware at E3 - Update

Velociferocks

Jul 20, 2009
My guess/hope would be a new WiiU revision without the stupid tablet-gamepad-thing a proper hard drive of 250 - 500 GB with a lower price, they will probably have their fitness thing there but I doubt it's anything more than a peripheral to the 3DS.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
MrBaskerville said:
They just released the 3DS and it has barely started it's life on the market, i highly doubt they are going to replace it now that it's starting to make them money.
It's Nintendo, they made a new version of the DS every 2-3 years. Probably the next version of the 3DS.

OP:Or probably a version of the Wii U that doesn't come with the tablet conrtoller that's barely being used in the software.

Or peripherals.

And that's if this rumour is true. Nintendo needs software right now though, not more stuff for people to buy with no games to play on it. We've got enough of that going on as it is.
True, but that´s iterations and not entirely new hardware that needs its own library of games. I find it hard to believe that they would release a succesor to the 3Ds so soon.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
I doubt it'll be an entirely new home console, the Wii-U's just a storm that Nintendo's going to have to ride out for a couple more years, plus it'll be too early in the next console's development to wheel one out on show (with its own library of games, no less).

And the 3DS is still going strong, so I can't see Nintendo being too keen to replace that any time soon.

Perhaps a new "third pillar" unit (like the DS was to the GBA and GC), or some kind of relaunch of the Wii-U?

Of course, if I were off in Cloud Cuckoo Land, I'd start dreaming of a Nintendo-branded mobile phone...

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
MrBaskerville said:
They just released the 3DS and it has barely started it's life on the market, i highly doubt they are going to replace it now that it's starting to make them money.
It's Nintendo, they made a new version of the DS every 2-3 years. Probably the next version of the 3DS.
Ding ding ding!!!!!

We have a winner. If there is new hardware, I would bet on a 3DS with dual analog sticks. Or at least the dual analog attachment for the 3DS XL. It desperately cries for it at night.

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
You're right the Wii thing wasn't just fluke, it was a fluke that should be ignored for happening.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
BrotherRool said:
VITALITY SENSOR!

Nintendo may well introduce a new wobble board or fiddle sticks. There's absolutely no way they're introducing a more high-powered console and nothing they've said suggests it's even an option they're considering. They're half a decade behind Sony and Microsoft now, they couldn't catch up. They've given over trying to sell games to us and now they're trying to attract all the people who thought the Wii Fit actually made you fit.
The vitality sensor is the first thing i thought of too XD

I don't understand the mindset of a Nintendo fan, they've been on a downwards trajectory for the better part of a decade now. Why do people assume Nintendo was anything but astoundingly lucky with the Wii and has completely lost the capability to be in touch with the gaming market in 2014. They live in Nintendo fantasy land where its still 1998 and they are still creating games that push the medium forward.
Your profile pic wins =D The thing I don't get about Nintendo fans is when people are talking about how Nintendo doesn't offer them anything anymore and the response is 'they're financially stable' or 'they've got a real insight into selling games devices to old people's homes.'

I mean that's cool and all, but my happiness doesn't depend on the business acumen of companies who don't employ me. If the answer to Nintendo sucking is that they can sell things to non-gamers it still means Nintendo sucks for gamers. If Sony dumped all their decent games but sold really decent batteries, that wouldn't make Sony a good gaming company.

Good for Nintendo if they can trick people into thinking standing on a board can substitute for an hour of heavy physical exercise but if they're not making games I care about, then why should I care about them?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
*snip*
...and they are still creating games that push the medium forward.
While I have to agree that they are mostly out of touch as far as technology goes, this is where you're dead wrong.
They are pushing the medium forward with their games. Just because you don't like those games doesn't mean they aren't pushing things forward. Mario Galaxy did more for the platformer genre than any Sony or MS IP did to any genre. Galaxy 2 took Galaxy one and improved on it.
Skyward Sword which had it's own problems had the awesome 1on1 sword fighting. Playing some games with swords afterwards made me realize just how awesome some of them would be with such motion controls. For example MGR's slowmo cutting would be perfect with such controls. Countering in the game would be like 20 times better and would feel more rewarding with them.
Pikmin 3 is a genre on it's own. Metroid is one of the father's of metroidvania.
Mario Kart is still considered unrivaled in kart racer. Wii Sports created a HUGE surge of such games. You want to tell me that's not pushing the medium?
Whether you like it or not doesn't change the reality. And Nintendo being still relevant as far as game design goes is the reality.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I have mixed feelings on this. While I don't think the Wii U is going to sell well, and may even fall into the Nintendo console trend and sell less than all previous consoles (not that it's hard to sell less than the Wii, it is one of the all time highest selling consoles), I don't like the idea of them abandoning it, either. But, they need to do something, so maybe a new console could be what the doctor ordered.

Honestly, I'm skeptical on this. Even if they new release new hardware, I suspect it's a new version of the 3DS or some peripheral. I highly doubt it's a new console. Not unless they were already developing it before the Wii U even launched.

Scrumpmonkey said:
BrotherRool said:
VITALITY SENSOR!

Nintendo may well introduce a new wobble board or fiddle sticks. There's absolutely no way they're introducing a more high-powered console and nothing they've said suggests it's even an option they're considering. They're half a decade behind Sony and Microsoft now, they couldn't catch up. They've given over trying to sell games to us and now they're trying to attract all the people who thought the Wii Fit actually made you fit.
The vitality sensor is the first thing i thought of too XD

I don't understand the mindset of a Nintendo fan, they've been on a downwards trajectory for the better part of a decade now. Why do people assume Nintendo was anything but astoundingly lucky with the Wii and has completely lost the capability to be in touch with the gaming market in 2014. They live in Nintendo fantasy land where its still 1998 and they are still creating games that push the medium forward.
Man, I can wait to see the responses you get from the NDF. Those guys snap if you merely imply that Nintendo consoles have sold less with each iteration, other than the Wii. Or suggest that maybe, possibly, there is room to think that the Wii U may not have been a good idea. Or in any way impune Nintendo. And don't you dare be wrong about whether Nintendo has released more than one Pokemon Stadium game hater.
(I'm speaking from person experience on that last one. I've been called a hater for not realizing that Nintendo released a second Pokemon Stadium game.)

Also, I miss your old avatar.

Dec 16, 2009
If its a new console, I am done with Nintendo. I was willing to accept less 3rd party support, but this short a lifespan would be the end for me.

Now an adapter to play 2DS games on the Wii U controller, count me in.

The Wii U needs a boost through an advertising campaighn

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
I think it will be a system update. If its a 1.5 or more casual wider appeal console release... I'll accept it. Too many KS projects are coming to the WiiU for me to consider it a failure, I knew going in this generation PC would be "best" for 3rd party support and this won't stop the coming of Zelda, Mario, and etc.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
'New hardware' is pretty vague.

That could be a new color of the Wii-U pad when you get down to it.

Even at the high end, I'd wager some upgrade on the 3ds or something. They keep making a new version of the DS constantly.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Well, given the current stories of Nintendo expanding their product line to include health-related items, the new hardware could very well be linked to that theme. They don't have much of a reason to announce any kind of 3ds successor and the only thing that comes to mind with the Wii U is that they need to creatively rename it. I'm actually thinking of buying a Wii U simply because Nintendo is still the king of get-together party games everyone can enjoy (Mario Party, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, etc), it's just the slow adoption of the console is making it more of a "Buy with a PS4" rather than "buy instead of a..." kind of situation.

Now if only Sony could stop faffing around and get their full backlog of PS One and PS2 classics onto the PS Vita. That handheld needs it badly.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
FoolKiller said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
MrBaskerville said:
Ding ding ding!!!!!

We have a winner. If there is new hardware, I would bet on a 3DS with dual analog sticks. Or at least the dual analog attachment for the 3DS XL. It desperately cries for it at night.

http://tinyurl.com/p2jkyp6

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Kmadden2004 said:
FoolKiller said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
MrBaskerville said:
Ding ding ding!!!!!

http://tinyurl.com/p2jkyp6
Yes. I know. You know where you can't find it. Any store in Canada. And if its not there, then its likely not in a US store either. I still like retail.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Perhaps they'll just make the wii-u smaller and better in bed and actually put some effort into marketing the darn thing.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Wonder if it could be something like the Super Gameboy which would allow 3DS games to be played on the WiiU.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sleekit said:
well a new handheld is probably due...
The 3DS is barely 3 years old. That would indicate they would be replacing it after four years.

I don't think that's even close to due, and they probably don't want to mess with the part of their line that's actually successful to some degree.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
loa said:
Perhaps they'll just make the wii-u smaller and better in bed and actually put some effort into marketing the darn thing.
It's not often you hear "smaller" and "better in bed" together. >.>