Rumor: Nintendo to Unveil New Hardware at E3 - Update

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Did anyone else cringe every time they read "a new hardware?" I've never heard it referred to like that, is that really a thing?

Anyway, rumors of Nintendo moving past the WiiU and working on the next thing have been around for a while now, I'm not against believing these rumors now.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Wow 2 pages and a good chunk of it is literally making fun of the mythological NDF force aka. people who have a different opinion about something Nintendo related unrelated to their doom and gloom than you. Better yet, those same people have been going on about how this NDF will "attack" them for their opinions when that has yet to happen the last 4 times they claimed it was going to happen.

Stay classy Escapist. Still the only gaming site on the web that even has this ridiculous name title.

OT: Like other people have said I want to bet it has something to do with their medical peripherals. I have a feeling the vitality sensor might be making a comeback. That piece of tech just sounds a little too valuable for them to simply just scrap. Not sure if it will be announced at E3 though. Perhaps there is a medical conference that also happens around the same time?

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
The WiiU has sold few enough units that I could see them releasing a "WiiU 2.0" that has similar programming architecture, but with extra processing and RAM. Existing games would still work, but developers could finally stop complaining about the hardware.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
The Nintendo smartphone. I'm calling it now.

I think I'm joking but I'm not sure. If Nintendo released a full-featured cell phone that was also a player of their exclusive portable games...that might actually be a lucrative future for Nintendo. I know I'd be interested. And I haven't given Nintendo hardly any business in the past decade.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
At this point, moving into a new generation would be suicide. They barely made a blip with the WiiU. If they abandon that ship so early, I am guessing nobody (not even the most rabid fans) would follow. Besides, its not like they have run out of franchises to publish this generation.

If the hardware is a new SKU for the 3DS or the WiiU, it would be for more reasonable (and, lets face it, given Nintendo's history, it would be predictable). I still hope they don't plan to release games that only work on the new version, though...

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Dragonbums said:
Stay classy Escapist. Still the only gaming site on the web that even has this ridiculous name title.

OT: Like other people have said I want to bet it has something to do with their medical peripherals. I have a feeling the vitality sensor might be making a comeback. That piece of tech just sounds a little too valuable for them to simply just scrap. Not sure if it will be announced at E3 though. Perhaps there is a medical conference that also happens around the same time?
That's not actually true. I can remember it being used regularly on Giantbomb when I browesed that forum and, in fact, the first time I can remember it being used was with reference to someone defending the gamecubes game library not long after it had been released - that would make the phrase more than 10 years old. Looks like that website doesn't even exist anymore, though I'm not even 100% on the name anymore.

OT:
I think they quietly stopped working on the medical peripheral for good reason - doctors already have professional tools to do it, and private individuals would have an extremely limited number of reasons to ever use one together with a Wii.

That's not to say that there aren't monitoring products available for private individuals, but they tend to be stand alone or paired with a mobile phone, meaning that they are very convenient for indoor/outdoor fitness without requiring a console nearby. They might intend it to be used with the Wii Fit, but I don't think that's a grand idea. It is being found that the Wii Fit, while fun, does not appear to actually help people lose weight or stay fit - a vitality monitor peripheral would draw uncomfortable attention to those findings.

I think a "flip" version of the 2DS or a new hardware iteration of the 3DS is most likely, since both those products have proved popular and successful.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
Scrumpmonkey said:

I guess it boils down to how you define innovation. In my opinion tlou didn't do a whole lot of new stuff either, it's a stealth game with zombies. Hell bioshock didn't do anything new as far as core gameplay is concerned (plasmids? sorry but naming your magic after dna-rings doesn't exactly reinvent the shooter genre). People praise rightfully those games for their storys and atmosphere. I don't realy see how that trumps the innovations other games have done in other departments though (re. skyward swords swordplay, the combat of the arkham games, wonderfull 101 and well almost everything that game does, the orignal halo, titanfall etc.). I'm not talking about nintendo specifically on this matter, I just think it's a bit unfair to just dismiss new ideas if you don't happen to like said ideas or if they are presented in a familiar context.

OT: if nintendo realy does release a new console then i'd better be able to trade my wii u in for that (but keep my tablet controller and have it be fully compatible with all the features) and it better be backwards compatible to both wii and wii u games. Anything else would be unacceptable and straight up scam.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
It's allready confirmed that he rumours were untrue, but i'm still hopIng that they announce a printer peripheral for the WiiU gamepad.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Really? Did everyone conveniently forget about the meeting held by Iwata on January 30th? Like, the one in which Iwata laid down the plans for the year? I mean, I know we have a short term memory but come on, people!

[img=http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/img/41.jpg]http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/img/41.jpg[/img]

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/05.html

Here, this is the new hardware everyone has twisted their panties over. The new Quality of Life improving device set to release in 2015. Can we stop saying "The Wii U is Dead!" now? Obviously, for hype to generate for a new device (I wouldn't call it a console until we see what it is) must start a year ahead of time.

Dragonbums said:
Wow 2 pages and a good chunk of it is literally making fun of the mythological NDF force aka. people who have a different opinion about something Nintendo related unrelated to their doom and gloom than you. Better yet, those same people have been going on about how this NDF will "attack" them for their opinions when that has yet to happen the last 4 times they claimed it was going to happen.

I think you may be on to something, but I'm pretty sure it will be tied into the QOL. Iwata did say during that meeting that health was the primary goal of the QOL, so I'm sure some of the failures of the Wii will be making a comeback.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
I can see maybe a wii u model that is cheaper, has more internal storage, blu ray player, but not a new console. It takes longer than 2 years to develop one. My money says it's a new controller/add on for the wii u, maybe a resigned gamepad with longer battery(I know you can buy a battery online but the shop is always sold out when I look) and better controller layout.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
My money is on 2DS XL, as I imagine turning the Wii-U into the next Sega Saturn would be financial suicide.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
aaaaaand, SQUASHED:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/461875/no-nintendo-hardware-reveal-at-e3-company-confirms/

Move along people, nothing to see here. Though I fully expect people to believe otherwise even right until the last few minutes of E3.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Aiddon said:
aaaaaand, SQUASHED:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/461875/no-nintendo-hardware-reveal-at-e3-company-confirms/

Move along people, nothing to see here. Though I fully expect people to believe otherwise even right until the last few minutes of E3.
The funny thing about that is that the original source of the rumor didn't even publish said rumor themselves because it didn't meet the criteria for a legitimate article. Yet another company took that rumor and blew it up.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
If Nintendo announces a new games console than I guess we can go ahead and call the Wii U done. If it's some kind of add-on or peripheral or, upgrade to the Wii U then that would be something completely different obviously. I don't know why it would be revealed at E3 but hasn't Nintendo talked about releasing a new Wellness or, Health-Focused...thing? I would expect to find out what that is at some point in the near future but perhaps not at E3.

My second guess would be a clam-shell 2DS and/or 2DS/3DS that features the second stick. I'd think the clamshell 2DS is more likely than a dual-stick DS of any kind since so few games utilize two sticks...as far as I know and I'm only aware of two of them...Another guess that would be COMPLETELY WTF would be a Virtual Console box of some kind...like a Nintendo-style Ouya that utilizes everything on all variations of the Virtual Console.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Behold...The new official NINTENDO milk and buscuit holder!! Powered by the hopes and dreams of ferrel children!

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
loa said:
Perhaps they'll just make the wii-u smaller and better in bed and actually put some effort into marketing the darn thing.
It's not often you hear "smaller" and "better in bed" together. >.>
Words of a man who never dated a short girl. ^_^

OT: Likely not new hardware in of itself, but some kind of controller revision or a cheaper Wii U does seem likely actually. But if the rumours been squashed then I guess it's not to be.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Rellik San said:
Words of a man who never dated a short girl. ^_^
I'm 6'5". I was with a 5'2" girl for eight years. :p

Racecarlock said:
Ohhhhhhhh I can't wait for this conference.

"We're calling it the Nintendo Puu".
They're calling it the Pii. That way their next console can be called the Piiu.