Rumor: Nintendo to Unveil New Hardware at E3 - Update

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Oh good. Now Nintendo isn't learning from video game history. The WiiU is this generation's Sega Saturn.

It's too bad, really. The WiiU had an interesting concept. It seems like most people don't realize the reason it had the massive touch screen controller is because it's a DS for your TV. Not a bad idea, but would have been better if it could also work with their latest handheld, but the 3DS had it's own gimmick fish to fry. At least the Playstation Vita has some of that functionality with the PS4. Too bad I'm not planning to buy either of those systems.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
the antithesis said:
Oh good. Now Nintendo isn't learning from video game history. The WiiU is this generation's Sega Saturn.

It's too bad, really. The WiiU had an interesting concept. It seems like most people don't realize the reason it had the massive touch screen controller is because it's a DS for your TV. Not a bad idea, but would have been better if it could also work with their latest handheld, but the 3DS had it's own gimmick fish to fry. At least the Playstation Vita has some of that functionality with the PS4. Too bad I'm not planning to buy either of those systems.
Omg dude, did you not read like the last 5 posts that pointed out the new hardware rumor to be a hoax?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Well due to time its definately not a brand new generation for the home console. Chances are as some people have said its a new version off the Wii U like a slim or something along those lines. Which wouldnt be a bad idea, some kind of new version to give themselve a relaunch at this and to get it right this time.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Dragonbums said:
The funny thing about that is that the original source of the rumor didn't even publish said rumor themselves because it didn't meet the criteria for a legitimate article. Yet another company took that rumor and blew it up.
What can I say, people like their soap operas. Even if they're completely nonsensical and keep running long after they've become irrelevant. Logic and facts are boring to people. And as we've seen, even if the rumor has been debunked BY NINTENDO THEMSELVES, people still cling to it.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I just think it's funny that Nintendo's stance was that they don't comment on rumors or conjecture... and then they comment on rumors and conjecture.

Anyway, It's probably or the best they don't release new hardware right now.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sarge034 said:
I just think it's funny that Nintendo's stance was that they don't comment on rumors or conjecture... and then they comment on rumors and conjecture.
That's pretty much par for the course.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Sarge034 said:

Anyway, It's probably or the best they don't release new hardware right now.
They said they don't needlessly comment on rumors, but they will if they are forced. If the rumors can have negative consequences for the company or if the rumor spreads far too much, they will comment.

And if you read this thread, you will see that they rumor had a rather negative impact on Nintendo's reputation.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
They said they don't needlessly comment on rumors, but they will if they are forced. If the rumors can have negative consequences for the company or if the rumor spreads far too much, they will comment.

And if you read this thread, you will see that they rumor had a rather negative impact on Nintendo's reputation.
Really? Then either I'm hallucinating or I can't English...

When asked for a statement, Nintendo representatives said that it does not comment or rumors or speculations, which could either mean the story's real, or a few sources have been given wrong info.
... Or option three, which is I was interpreting the stance correctly and you are incorrect. Let's go with that one.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Calling it now...

Oh yeah, Nintendo knows how much you've been waiting for it...

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
*snip*
...and they are still creating games that push the medium forward.
While I have to agree that they are mostly out of touch as far as technology goes, this is where you're dead wrong.
They are pushing the medium forward with their games. Just because you don't like those games doesn't mean they aren't pushing things forward. Mario Galaxy did more for the platformer genre than any Sony or MS IP did to any genre. Galaxy 2 took Galaxy one and improved on it.
Skyward Sword which had it's own problems had the awesome 1on1 sword fighting. Playing some games with swords afterwards made me realize just how awesome some of them would be with such motion controls. For example MGR's slowmo cutting would be perfect with such controls. Countering in the game would be like 20 times better and would feel more rewarding with them.
Pikmin 3 is a genre on it's own. Metroid is one of the father's of metroidvania.
Mario Kart is still considered unrivaled in kart racer. Wii Sports created a HUGE surge of such games. You want to tell me that's not pushing the medium?
Whether you like it or not doesn't change the reality. And Nintendo being still relevant as far as game design goes is the reality.
Most of your points like the ones about Metroid and Mario Kart are not "pushing the medium" because at this point its merely repetition and being still being good doesn't "push a medium", they pushed the genre over a decade ago. Mario Galaxy might have done great things for platformers but indies are doing a hell of a lot more, indies have done more for platforming that Nintendo, Microsoft and SOny put together over the last few years.

As for the sword fighting motion controls, they are just stupid. It doesn't matter how you waggle the controller, you can pretend to swing a sword or you can just do a masturbatory style motion and it will work just as well.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
MrBaskerville said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
MrBaskerville said:
They just released the 3DS and it has barely started it's life on the market, i highly doubt they are going to replace it now that it's starting to make them money.
It's Nintendo, they made a new version of the DS every 2-3 years. Probably the next version of the 3DS.

OP:Or probably a version of the Wii U that doesn't come with the tablet conrtoller that's barely being used in the software.

Or peripherals.

And that's if this rumour is true. Nintendo needs software right now though, not more stuff for people to buy with no games to play on it. We've got enough of that going on as it is.
True, but that´s iterations and not entirely new hardware that needs its own library of games. I find it hard to believe that they would release a succesor to the 3Ds so soon.
New iterations count as new hardware in my opinion. I'd count the different versions of the PS3 and PS3 Slims as different hardware. New hardware doesn't always mean new successor.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Mr Ink 5000 said:
If its a new console, I am done with Nintendo. I was willing to accept less 3rd party support, but this short a lifespan would be the end for me.
Fortunately for Nintendo that's not the case, but as I've always said on these forums, Nintendo is strangely looking a lot like SEGA in the mid 90s...

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I don't think the Wii U is an inherently bad idea, but $300 is too much for what it is: a last gen HD console with a tablet controller. I personally think we could use a cheaper console this gen. If they made the Wii U more like $200 by cutting the tablet I'd might consider getting one. If they come out with any games I find[footnote]just in case someone wants to quote me with a list of gamz I already know and don't care about[/footnote] interesting that is. Sell me the console first and I'll consider the tablet later. But that won't happen. They've already put much into it. Eventually they'll get the price down without cutting the tablet but I don't know about it happening this year and Wii U will continue to suffer from lack of interest if they don't sell any consoles

The rumors are already debunked but in case Nintendo is only rendering to a new consoles, I hope they make a new 3DS with a built in second circle pad. Maybe then I'd stop putting off buying a 3DS

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mabye with all the buzz over the oculus rift it will be some kind if virtual head set....

Heh heh.....heh heh....

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Why would anyone think they would release new hardware? Seems a bit stupid to me. Most would be an updated WiiU instead of an actual new console. Am looking forward to E3 though, i get the feeling that Microsoft are going to knock it out the park with lots of games to show off. After last year, they really need to make a major positive impact as opposed to a mayor negative one.