Rumor: PC Features Cut From Dragon Age 2

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
razer17 said:
Serious, PC elitists need to stop bitching. Consoles sell more, and companies exist to MAKE MONEY. Let me reiterate, these are companies who need to MAKE MONEY. Considering that so many companies have recently lost money, they need to do that more than ever. Ergo, they go where the consumers are.

It isn't greed, it's complete sense. If you were clever, you as the director of a company would do the same thing. If you wouldn't, then please never run a business, you'll probably bankrupt yourself.
Good business sense? So not taking an extra couple days to include a decent set of modding tools, thus alienating THE ENTIRE MODDING COMMUNITY, and thus losing THOUSANDS OF SALES, is "good business sense"?

Huh. Live and learn.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
At the moment I'm going to keep my nerd rage in check, they haven't set anything in stone yet regarding mods, meaning that if they are included in Dragon Age 2 [small](Something that seems ever more unlikely)[/small], we'll just have to wait a while for a skilled modder to come along and modify the leveling [small](and hopefully, combat)[/small] system to make it deeper, and feel more like something that wasn't produced for the "Must kill something every 3 seconds or I will suffer a stroke" demographic.

However, if they do, in fact, dumb Dragon Age 2 down to the point where it might as well be Mass Effect with dragons and swords... Well, then Bioware can kindly take a step back, and fuck it's own face, why? Because if I wanted to play a game like Mass Effect, I'd play Mass Effect.

My love for BioWare has been incredibly strained ever since they announced that one of the best Star Wars games ever released period, was having it's story completely screwed over so that they could release the next chapter in the series as a fucking MMORPG, which comepletely goes against everything that made the franchise what it was, in order to milk the goddamn WoW MMO cash cow. If they do what they have been suggesting that they're doing to Dragon Age... Well, then BioWare will just be another faceless, emotionless game developer along the lines of Activison and EA that will be dead to it's former fanbase, churning out the same crap and drivil that appeals to only the most basic of gamers which only seek the thrill of "killin' teh n00bs lol" instead of being immersed in a beautifully thought-out universe, capable of making one truely care for it's inhabitants, actively hoping for these people, these worlds, to achieve the happy ending they so desperately seek, deserve...

...If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back, play some KotOR, and greive for my beloved franchise, lost to the annals of marketing forever... Please BioWare, please don't ruin this franchise too, the Dragon Age franchise deserves better than that, don't do to us it what you did to KoTOR, don't sell it out in the name of profit...

[sub][sub][sub]Please...[/sub][/sub][/sub]

ww2jacob

Mar 21, 2008
Should this be true, I will be very disappointed in BioWare. I enjoy using the DA:O toolset and find it allows me to do almost anything I want with the game. I'd hoped they'd continue improving it for new releases of DA until they added persistent world multiplayer like in Neverwinter Nights. People still mod and play NWN because it's one of the few games with deep mod tools that also has persistent world multiplayer, which essentially allowed modders to create their own mini-MMORPG spaces.

But since BioWare seems to be going after the market of consoles over PC, I think it's doubtful we'll see either deeper mod tools or full persistent worlds, maybe at best some kind of simple PvP multiplayer designed for consoles. Perhaps a cooperative campaign if we're lucky.

WillItWork

Apr 7, 2008
WrongSprite said:
Can't say I care, 'cause although I do have the PC version, I never used mods, or the aerial camera.
Really? That's about all I used. Couldn't see crap with the close cameras, I just used it occasionally for graphic goodness.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Really, as much as the whole camera thing is irritating, the general trend of 'Dragon Age 2' towards less choice and more boringness is what's been concerning me.

First of all, the forcing you to play as a human. Awful idea. Absolutely awful. The humans stood out in DA1 by being singularly boring. The only way you can tell you're a human is that all the flavour text given to elves and dwarves was stripped out. Then they compound it by redesigning all the races to make it even more of a kick in the teeth that you can't play as them. Have you seen the new Qunari? I know you couldn't play as them first time round but still.

Also, the conversation wheel being introduced, which is only good for trolling the player, when you watch as 'I'm suspicious of your intent' turns into something like 'I KNOW YOU'RE LYING AND I WON'T LET YOU GET AWAY WITH THIS'.

Then, on purely personal taste values (I don't like tacky nonsense)...

Hawke? Really? What, was Mann McBuffington Grimjaw too classy?

I've not lost all hope for DA2 because Bioware have never made a game I don't like - but I'm certainly very, very cautious of being burned here. I've heard nothing good so far.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
GiantRedButton said:
Wow i thought people were overexaggerating when they said consoles hurt gaming. lowest common denominator i guess.
If they say its bacause the pc version sold less ( wasn't it the best selling platform o. O )
then lets see how that improves when im not getting that version.
Man consoles did not come along and curb stomp PC gaming. People with an obscene sense of entitlement pirating the shit out of games that took tons of money to make did. They migrated to consoles because that's where people still BUY games. Let's stop bitching about consoles, you have only the pirates to thank.

matt87_50 said:
lol yeah, like the mods that FIXED YOUR LAME ASS PROBLEMS WITH THE FIRST ONE!! LIKE NOT SHIPPING THE HIGH RES TEXTURES!!

what ever, go to the consoles, see if I care, like there aren't other RPGs. like that one from Blizzard that begins with a 'D' and ends with a '**** you lame Bioware!!11!'

also, its like they would have to go out of their way to remove these features... like, they are already there... from the first one...

its like they are all just continuing to test what shit they can get away with with the customer...

**** that noise.

on the other hand, maybe they are just assuming everyone will crack it and mod it that way... of course they will all PIRATE it that way too... because the only version that will be any good will be the PIRATED one...

I am SOO over lazy developers.

remember back in the day? when games companies only made games for PC? and PCs were like a million dollars so only few people had them?? how is it that back THEN they could still make enough money to support the community, and now they are making billions of dollars, they are too lazy to even port across features from the old one!?? it is just completely inexplicable!
Graphics, and sound benchmarks have been raised dramaticly since the old days of PC gaming, and fancy graphics literally do cost more to make. Also back in the day there was not such rampant plague of "gimme the game for free" people. Games like this take alot of money to develop most PC games need a console market as well to justify thier dev cost. Again, thank your pirating buddies who are "too smart" to pay for games. Your failing to consider a highly modified landscape for games of today vs games of the past. Do you really have any idea what's involved with any of this? Are you really qualified to call them lazy? They mentioned they we're considering updating the DA:1 toolset for DA:2 on the PC, but all this cost money. Does it make good sense to spend money on developing the PC only version when your audience always seems to be able to justify pirating the game. Game developers do not make billions of dollars. AAA titles make millions, and that's not all profit. Some pays for developing the current game, some cash goes into developing the next. They do have a staff to pay, Dragon Age was not made by 10 guys. Once again, they make that millions off actual game sales, not just people playing it. So the console market is injecting far more support to game development, yet so many avid PC gamers seem to feel entitled to a wider range of high quality features.

It's funny how not worth it so many games are, even though they're so "gotta have it" that torrents light up like christmas trees.

Pirates are why you have to login to play starcraft.
Pirates are why PC gaming is now secondary to console gaming instead of the other way around.
Pirates are why you don't get the full developers toolset when a game comes out.

The magic here is that a great number of the people that migth be griping about this really don't have any recourse. Boycotting a game you were gonna pirate anyway really isn't a big deal to the devs.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Shit Bioware, why even bother with the PC version at all, if you're just going to take away the one vaguely interesting feature of the first DA?

Also,

"For budgetary reasons, we focused our work on a 3rd person view, that asks for very detailed and nice textures so that the player can admire the game with a close-up view," he said. "With an aerial view we should cover much more ground and so [must] create other textures."
How fucking lazy and stupid can you get? Bioware cannot even do mipmapping?! Have they ever heared of anisotrophic filtering? Trilineair filtering?
"No, both big and small textures is TOO HARD!"

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Tharwen said:
But... it's an RPG...

And I personly prefer RPGs on PC
Look, I fixed that for you so it ain't wrong anymore!

Seriously PC community, you brought this on yourself.

People pirate the game -> The game sells less on PC -> The game sells more, compared to the PC, on console -> We don't live in Sovjet so BioWare needs to make money -> BioWare makes the game focused on PC.

Your pirates is ruining everything for you it would seem.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
So this is where the so called "Non top-bottom" rumor came from? Oh boy, I'll try to do some damage control for those that don't know yet.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/3298325 Go here for the quick summary of video.

http://gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/07/30/dragon-age-2-team-discusses-story-combat-and-hawke.aspx Go here for the actual video.

As you can see. They have not removed it. All they have done so far is change the way the console game will play and to improve on the ally AI (Really needed if you ask me.)

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Oh, I'll wait.

I'll wait until I can buy it for $20-$30 used and see if I want to.

BiWare, don't blow it.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Shycte said:
Tharwen said:
But... it's an RPG...

People pirate the game -> The game sells less on PC -> The game sells more, compared to the PC, on console -> We don't live in Sovjet so BioWare needs to make money -> BioWare makes the game focused on PC.

Huh, so that's why no-one makes games on handhelds any more. Oh, wait...

Seriously, if you're going to use the piracy arguement, please note that handheld games get pirated as much, if not more, than PC games.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Question.. Is dropping the PC features of DA2 mean that they might actually support the gamepad on the PC version this time?

As for the modding.. Hate to see it go, but really i dont think theres been a massive amount of technical innovation in one year to even bother with it. Really they could release a DA2 asset pack for DA1s toolkit and pretty much sate that desire.

Beyond that, what else is there... Oh yeah, GAMEPAD SUPPORT!!!! Joy2key & xpadder work, but when it is a game optimized for a console.. there is no excuse not to have at least the option for it.

OriginalJoeBlack

Jun 20, 2010
Hello.
I do not know what to think of it, but, man i did love the first game. I never really was into RPGs except for a few one (you sure know which one i mean), sure it is not nice to "love" a game, because that turns into defending the game and that again turns me into a fanboy. But seriously? I am not suprised this did happen, EA does this to every game studio they buy. They ruin it. "Pushing" the developers to rush the game to the market, where the developer has many times the need to rather focus on consoles, because they know "where the limit is" on consoles and what console gamers will forgive. Many of you already did say, that we are comparing 2 console systems to the computer system, and the sad fact, that many kids - *erhm* - i mean computer gamers rather pirate the game than buy it, does kill the sale numbers for the PC.

Ok, enough of me being nice. WARNING! NERD RAGE INCOMING!

Thank you EA, thank you BioWare, after years we finally have a nice RPG that isnt either: a rubbish piece of 3rd or first person viewed piece of crap that does copy/paste the same stuff all over and over again with like the worst story i ever saw in a video game, but does rather give me a nice story that is not either the wet dream of a 13-year old or some JRPG stuff, with DLCs, something with nice graphics on both: the world and the NPCs a fan-base that does last longer than a month and least but not last: books! I bought and did read both books which gave me a nice look on things that happened before the original game. This is what made me think: "Hmmm, this stuff is good.But these DLCs are gettin boring. How about we jump forward and make a MMORPG or a Dragon Age II?"
And now, when finally a II gets announced, BAM! after some time i get to know that they ruin it cause of them being lazy as me when the coffee is done and i do not want to stand up to get it.

And now, they think this will make more people buy it on the PC? Hah! Good luck with that.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
He shouldn't have told the magazine that there won't be a toolset and no tactical view for pc if that wasn't the case, but its good to know I can go back to looking forward to this game now.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Delusibeta said:
Shycte said:
Tharwen said:
But... it's an RPG...

Huh, so that's why no-one makes games on handhelds any more. Oh, wait...

Seriously, if you're going to use the piracy arguement, please note that handheld games get pirated as much, if not more, than PC games.
Yes, but that is because there is still a shitload of cash to be made in that buisness, PC, not so much. Because if there were, we wouldn't be talking bout' this.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
*sigh*

On the one hand, it's a shame for the PC owners. On the other hand... I don't care. Cause see, I'm one of those dumb, moronic console owners that folks in this thread seem to hate with the firey passion of a thousand suns. I'm one of those pathetic sheeple who bought DLCs. And I clearly have no taste, because I enjoyed DA:O on my console of choice. Oh, yes. You heard me and my heretical words. I enjoyed it. I had... gasp! Fun! You know, the reason we game to begin with?

I love how anytime there's a thread about games like Elder Scrolls or Fallout or Dragon Age, the sentiment is that if you didn't play the PC version modded all to heck and back, you don't deserve to live and certainly couldn't have had any fun. Because that always leads me to look back at the many long 'One more hour' sessions I've had, enjoying myself, trying new things, experimenting, conversing, exploring, questing, and playing through, and wondered if I'm just doing it wrong.

So yeah. The PC version, because sales were better for consoles, is going to lose some components as their model for it shifts to console development. If it bothers you so much, then speak with your wallet and don't buy it. Stick with DA:O and its mods, and laugh at your superiority. Me? I'm gonna buy it, for the console, and if it's as good as the first one, I'm going to enjoy it.

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
lol the console version that next to everyone hated? Haha oh you pc gamers and your piracy habits killing your own industry.

The_Graff

Oct 21, 2009
prolly been said a few times here, but are we really that surprised? with development time and costs developers would appear to be focusing on the simpler games they can make for consoles.