Rumor: Plot for Star Wars 7 Leaks Out

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Rumor: Plot for Star Wars 7 Leaks Out

Potential spoilers within where it talks about Star Wars: Episode VII's plot and what the characters are up to.

While the plot for J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: Episode VII has been kept under lock and key from the public, could we finally have the first plot details leak out? In a report by the normally reputable Badass Digest, the site claims it has the general premise of the upcoming seventh entry to the Star Wars film franchise. Keep in mind that even if what you'll be reading has not been confirmed and should be treated as a rumor, there's a chance that this could all be legit. So best to consider some of the details as potential spoilers.

Just so nothing will be lost in translation, since the site's report on the plot tried its best to be very basic and not go into anything specific, we've included the plot details as is.

On how Star Wars: Episode VII will start out:

Imagine the standard Star Wars crawl, and when it ends the camera pans up to the stars. But instead of a spaceship zooming into frame we see... a hand! A severed hand, tumbling through space. A severed hand gripping a light saber.

That hand falls onto a desert planet, where it is discovered by characters who will be our heroes. One is Daisy Ridley. The other is John Boyega, who is playing someone trying to change his path in life (again, I'm keeping it vague here). They recognize the light saber as a Jedi relic and decide to return it to the proper people.

It's said that on their quest, they then meet Han Solo and Chewbacca who recognize the lightsaber as belonging to someone they know.

Their quest takes them off world, and they meet up with Han Solo and Chewbacca, who aren't flying around in the Millenium Falcon anymore but are piloting... well, that could be a spoiler. I'll leave it. Anyway, Han and Chewie recognize the light saber as Luke's, and they say they haven't seen their friend in thirty years, since the events of Return of the Jedi.

So begins a quest to find the missing Jedi Master. Meanwhile, on an ice planet, nefarious forces are building a super weapon, one capable of destroying not planets but entire solar systems...

According to the report, it says the plot of Episode VII is an "echo" of A New Hope, with the basic "sweep" of the story being similar and intentionally made that way. However, it does add that fans shouldn't assume that every " every ice or desert planet in the galaxy has already been visited." Supposedly, this is just the broadest of outlines, but it's said that they're hearing "extremely positive things about the action, and very, very good things about the characters themselves."

In other Star Wars: Episode VII rumors, don't forget that just last month, we reported that the movie's villains will be called "Jedi Hunters," [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135494-Report-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-Villains-to-be-Known-as-Jedi-Hunters] who are said to worship the Sith and are working to bring them back. Could this really be the plot for Star Wars: Episode VII? What do you make of it so far?

Source: Badass Digest [http://badassdigest.com/2014/07/20/exclusive-star-wars-episode-vii-plot-details-revealed/]

MrPeanut

Jun 18, 2011
...That sounds so bad.

No, for real.

Granted it's not much, but if what we see here is the summary of the overall plot, is it REALLY the best they could come up with?

Ugh, should have gone with Thrawn.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It's all marketing. The odds are against the movie being good in the first place because... the hype the marketing department keeps stoking is just going to make people hate it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Yeahhhh.... no. I'll doubt that with some gusto, just because it sounds too much like bad fanfic (is there good fanfic? I don't know and don't really want to know). If it is in any way related to the actual movie, it sounds like a nebulous first draft rather than a final copy so, yeah.
Hell, who knows, maybe thats what George Lucas was going to do before he realized he was going to have a mob of fake-lightsaber wielding fans show up like a torch mob at his ranch because they finally had enough of his bullshit.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Oh Jesus, they're doing the super weapon race the post Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe was plagued by, only a matter of time before we get the Sun Crusher

Really hoping this isn't the actual movie plot, it's dumb, dumb, dumb

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So Star Wars is going to be a buddy road-trip movie? I'd be okay with that if it centered around Han and Chewie having adventures rather than two people we know nothing about.

And this bit sounds a bit dumb:

Their quest takes them off world, and they meet up with Han Solo and Chewbacca, who aren't flying around in the Millenium Falcon anymore but are piloting... well, that could be a spoiler.
Piloting something other than their iconic space bucket? The only thing that would be kind of fun to see them pilot is the bloody Death Star.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
That sounds pretty fucking rubbish.

Also I burst out laughing at a disembodied hand somehow surviving reentry into a planet's atmosphere.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
So the villains got their hands on Lucifer's cannon? *reference no-one will get*

Ultratwinkie said:
Wait, they find the severed hand of luke? Really? A hand went from a gas giant to space and then somehow survived the re-entry? Presumably to tatooine because hollywood has no original ideas left? Neither of those planets are anywhere near each other, by the time the hand stumbles there everyone will be long dead. Even a planet right next to each other would take a lot of time and a lot of luck.

This plot sounds awful, so awful it must be a parody.
Hey he has two hands, maybe it was his other one.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If this remour is real then so far I have an "meh" reaction. Also I take it the lightsaber is the green one that Luke make himself?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Why would anyone read it? Seriously, either you don't give a fuck about Star Wars, in which case you don't care, or you are interested in it, in which case you only stand to lose by reading any of it. I don't get people sometimes...

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Jandau said:
Why would anyone read it? Seriously, either you don't give a fuck about Star Wars, in which case you don't care, or you are interested in it, in which case you only stand to lose by reading any of it. I don't get people sometimes...
It's not that detailed. It's just the premise. Though I have gained somewhat, because should this be true, I can excpect nothing but dissapointment and have the potential to be pleasently surprised.

EDIT: "Spoilers" discussed further below in this post, avert your eyes if you don't want to see.

Dominic Crossman said:
I swear people preemptively hate on movies just so they can feel smug if they're crap.
The only big movie that's coming up that doesn't seem to suffer from this is Guardians of the Galaxy (probably because it's from Marvel)

I understand people don't want to get their hopes up but it is getting to point where the things people hate on contradict each other. Like having old characters appear is stupid because they're old and having new characters is shit because they're not established.

Somethings got to give people. Now let the hate begin because I missed some point.
Well nobodies complained about the new characters in this thread yet. Plus different people like /different/ things, why would the complaints be completely uniform for something like this? It's not like the same people are complaining about new and old characters.

No my issue is...the premise sounds dodgy as all hell if this turns out to be true. Luke losing his hand again? Why? He lost it in Empire to draw parellels between him and Vader, Anakin lost it in the prequals for the (unnecessary) reason of hammering in a parellel between Anakin and Luke, before they diverge character wise.

The hand going through whatever took it off, space, and then the atmosphere is bollocks. A desert planet, ooh how original. I wonder if it's Tatooine? Even if it isn't, it's a bad idea, there's no reason to echo beats of the plot from the 2 other trilogies. Especially not if it leads them into meeeting Han and Chewbacca, it just sounds lazy.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
I swear people preemptively hate on movies just so they can feel smug if they're crap.
The only big movie that's coming up that doesn't seem to suffer from this is Guardians of the Galaxy (probably because it's from Marvel)

I understand people don't want to get their hopes up but it is getting to point where the things people hate on contradict each other. Like having old characters appear is stupid because they're old and having new characters is shit because they're not established.

Edit: But I never see the opposite (personally), such as someone praising the inclusion of old characters or how new characters keep it fresh for instance. People do read different sites to each other however so I might of just missed it, like some might not have seen certain complaints.

Somethings got to give people. Now let the hate begin because I missed some point.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
As soon as the hand in space lands on planet line came up. I started head butting a wall. Rally? That shit won't fly even if your five feking years old! This hogwash can not be real.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
luvd1 said:
As soon as the hand in space lands on planet line came up. I started head butting a wall. Rally? That shit won't fly even if your five feking years old! This hogwash can not be real.
This is from the same person who gave us "alternate universe Spock" in the very first movie, so I'm not exactly surprised if it turns out to be true

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
This doesn't surprise me in the least. J J Abrams relies heavily on established tropes, call-backs and iconography for movies he make with established franchises. Even his film Super 8 was essentially his best attempt to mimic 80s SciFi Spielberg.

So of course the story will have the same basic structure and beats from New Hope. Abrams isn't an innovator. He's just really good at boiling down everything into its key components and presenting them in a decent way so long as you're willing to not dwell too much upon the how or why. Also, something, something lens flares.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I just threw up in my mouth a little. Everything about this is setting off red flags for me. Just no. Final judgement will be given when it comes out, but for now I'm going for this is most likely going to be shit.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
elvor0 said:
it just sounds lazy.
That's mostly the vibe I get yes. It all seems like re-treading old ground again. I'm not going to go rage all about it, but it's not the most optimistic premise either. Abrams being the nostalgia fan he is, we shouldn't be really surprised. Ah well, well see.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
SNCommand said:
luvd1 said:
This is from the same person who gave us "alternate universe Spock" in the very first movie, so I'm not exactly surprised if it turns out to be true
Shit, what if this hand is from an alternate universe where Luke turned to the dark side? It will be like the Emperor except it can only communicate through space sign language. Then the final battle will be between Darth Hand and Luke's other hand that gets chopped off in Episode VII for some reason (space toast buttering accident?). Let the terrible CGI and lens flares commence!