Rumor: PS4 50% More Powerful Than Xbox 720

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
What I wanna know is if PS4 has backwards compatibility and you play a game like Skyrim or Fallout 3 on it is if it will still have the problem of PS3's lack of RAM.

Other than all that its pretty much as others have said: The games will be designed for the lowest spec'd system and ported over so it hardly matters which one has more power.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
know what?

:D i don't care how powerful they are.

my moneys on both of them being little better then they are now and the only over all improvement being to the graphics while the other, more important bits (story and gameplay) are pushed FAR to the back

NathLines

May 23, 2010
What the eff? "Yeah, this thing that isn't out yet is better than this thing that isn't out yet. Hurr hurr". It wouldn't surprise me either way.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Yeah, forgive me if I'm not trusting these news. They were unable to find out or decide if the WiiU was weaker or more powerful than the current gen consoles some time after it was released. I don't trust these rumours to be true when neither of the consoles have been announced and we know next to nothing about them.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
The only people who would have any idea of both machine specs are those who are currently developing multi-platform games for the next generation and I know that most devs wouldn't go to the press with this info. Violating any potential NDA would be too much of a risk, without much to gain.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
How the hell could they know? And seriously, if the price point is like 600 bucks again, I'll just buy a PC.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Well, the PS3 was more powerful than EggsBox $3.60, but developers hardly used it because they made same game that can run on both. and then there were those that tried, but got struck by artificial limitations of PS3 (thank you AGAIN sony) and still could not utilize the power. so yeah, even if its stronger, no games will get to be better. SONY will make SURE of that.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah, the specs really only matter for exclusives (and probably mostly first party even then). As Yahtzee said in his last(second last?) EP, the console "war" is pretty dumb, given how many titles just come off on all of them anyways, and there's basically no difference in the gameplay of a Xbox or a PS3 other then minor controller sizes.

The DRM complaints are funny.

Sony patented a DRM thing, but has said nothing about using it.
XBox may not have DRM (although again, theres no real details for next gen), but charges you to use your own internet. Thats just as bad.
Valvebox - Steam is DRM inherently. They're already out DRM-ing the other two.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well, call me a dummy but I'm using a computer and all that computer talk still doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And I really don't care. I'm a PS follower (Not hating on the Durango or 720 or whatever) and I'll probably buy a PS4. I don't care much about graphics unless they interfere with he game.

If I like the game and the system works for me, I'm getting it. I'm just worried about the price issue.

Also, PC gamers, don't. Just don't. Let's not bring that whole "Oooh! Crappy, baby consoles are still trying to catch up with us! Boo hoo!" argument up. No, let's not turn this into a war. To each their own.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Hammeroj said:
Beautiful End said:
Also, PC gamers, don't. Just don't. Let's not bring that whole "Oooh! Crappy, baby consoles are still trying to catch up with us! Boo hoo!" argument up. No, let's not turn this into a war. To each their own.
Don't get offended when the hardware you own gets called out as being shit, and there won't be much of a war there. Detach yourself emotionally, mister PS follower.
Um, okay? I just said "To each their own" so I don't know why you're calling me a PS fan boy just because I said I'd probably get a PS4 as opposed to "OMG U GUYS AND UR PC and SEXBOX SUCKZZ!!1!"

I'm not getting offended. I'm not saying consoles are better. I'm not saying PS is the way to go. I'm just saying people need to avoid THIS. Turning this topic into "Surely you're butthurt and jelly!"

Please don't put words in my mouth and refrain from starting exactly what I just advised people to not do. Not the time nor the place.
Also, like I said, I'm not doing this. I'm not letting myself get dragged into a petty argument that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. So godspeed or whatever.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Hammeroj said:
Something something
Mk, cool story, bro. Continuing on...

CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Here's a rumor for ya: The PS4 and XBox 720 will have 50% less backwards compatability. And 50% less common sense.
That's actually a pretty good point. Backwards compatibility would be a selling point for me (I still have my fat PS3 and the original Wii) but if the prices for the next PS/MS consoles are too much, I'd probably stick with my current consoles for a while, even if the next gen of consoles plays my current games.

But...on the other hand, I can also see companies foreseeing this and eliminating backwards compatibility altogether.

OR! Releasing the first model with BC, then releasing a better, faster, cheaper, sexier model with no BC.
Either way, we lose.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
I'll be buying the PS4 no matter what, as history shows Sony has the best firstparty/exclusive games. Both the PS2 and PS3 blew the Microsoft counterparts out of the water in regards to this. Third party games will be available for both platforms anyway, and the differences will be minimal. Plus, Sony has given us amazing value with the Playstation Plus service, and if they are planning to somehow integrate the cloud gaming platform they recently bought, Playstation is definetely the place to be. Cashing out for a Durango/720 only to play Halo/Gears is really not worth it IMO. It's early still though, things might change yet.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Wow, almost half as powerful as my mid-range computer. Very impressive.
I'm pretty disappointed, honestly. I am a PC gamer primarily, but I also have consoles and have nothing against them. But to have future consoles that are weaker than my computer was before I upgraded it months ago sucks.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Rumour: Sheng Long is a playable character in Street Fighter 2.
Rumour: The Panasonic M2 is the most powerful console ever.
Rumour: PC gaming is dead.

File under R for rumour.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
I heard some report that the PS4 is using an AMD A8 + HD7670 equiv while XBox720 is using a PowerPC tri-core (cell architecture) + HD6670 equiv.
Both are considered very low-end cards (worth <$100) which is a little disappointing, I don't know how it would be even vaguely possible to make something like Crysis 3 run at decent settings @ 1080p/60 fps. Yes, even with direct-to-hardware console coding.
Mind you, I expect nothing less than 60 fps in EVERY game on next-gen consoles because dipping down to 25-30fps is just stupid.