Rumor: PSN Hackers Already Have Third Attack Ready to Go

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: PSN Hackers Already Have Third Attack Ready to Go

The group of hackers that took down the PlayStation Network might not be done with Sony yet.

If rumors are true, Sony isn't going to have a great weekend. After an separate attack [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It] against Sony Online Entertainment (the company's MMO branch) that was confirmed to have exposed customer credit card information, the same group of hackers may have a third salvo to fire.

CNET claims an informant that observes certain internet relay chat (IRC) channels says a "third major attack" is planned for the weekend of May 7 and 8. Even worse, the source says hackers evidently "plan to publicize all or some of the information they are able to copy from Sony's servers, which could include customer names, credit card numbers, and addresses."

The hackers allegedly have access to "some" of Sony's servers. Despite the best efforts of Sony's network security professionals and other organizations such as the FBI and Department of Homeland Security [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109683-Homeland-Security-and-FBI-On-Hunt-for-PSN-Hackers], the party responsible for the attacks is still on the loose, so it may not be outside of the realm of possibility that it could strike again. At this point in time, after Sony has assured customers that new security measures are being put in place, anyone trying to hurt Sony could really wrench the knife in its guts with a third attack.

Before you go running for the hills, keep in mind that this is extremely unconfirmed information. The hackers that took down Sony are some seriously wanted individuals, so it wouldn't seem very prudent to speak of a future crime in the company of those that might leak their plans to a website. To me, this report has the essence of fear-mongering. However, if the PSN actually comes back by the end of the week as planned [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109692-PSN-Phasing-Back-Into-Existence-With-Enhanced-Security], and then goes down again, I guess we'll know what happened.

Source: CNET [http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20060227-260.html]

Aug 25, 2009
Man, these hackers are so clearly the good guys while Sony are so clearly the bad guys. I mean, who would support Sony in this situation? They're the greedy exploitative ones and they deserve this.

(the content of this statement may or may not be sarcastic)

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
For the love of god. What the hell are these people attempting to achieve, other than being giant wankers?

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Sony just can't catch a break. Hopefully this attack is not truth and the PSN will return to full services soon.

Sparrow said:
For the love of god. What the hell are these people attempting to achieve, other than being giant wankers?
International Criminals/Internet Terrorists/Super Villain status? I wouldn't be surprise if they try to ransom the PSN off for...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
Man, these hackers are so clearly the good guys while Sony are so clearly the bad guys. I mean, who would support Sony in this situation? They're the greedy exploitative ones and they deserve this.

At this point, I see it as sarcastic. Sony may be a greedy corperation (name one that isnt), but this isnt an attack on Sony as much as the customers of Sony, which is just bad dice...

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
"extremely unconfirmed information." Yeah no kidding.

We cant find any information about these hackers and suddenly a rumor emergences that there will be a third attack that will this time reveal the contect they steal from the attacks.

If this rumor becomes true, I seriously need to ask WTF IS GOING ON!?!?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Brace for impact!

MelasZepheos said:
The sarcasm is strong in this one.

But tell me, who has been defending the hackers?

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
This has gone way beyond attack on Sony and is becoming attack on regular gamers who just want to have fun and relax on their well earned spare time. No doubt in the future people not just on ps3, but on any console, are going to be more weary about spending via credit card or at all.

I hope they are caught and persecuted to the full extent.

Dec 14, 2009
I can't play co-op Portal2 because of these hackers.

What kind of monster would do such a thing.

[sub]In spaaaaaaaace...[/sub]

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
You know, I was all for Sony being handed some humble pie. However, if this rumor turns out to be true...

Let's just say I wouldn't mind the Mythbusters performing some explosive tests with these assholes. Enough is enough. Let my PS3 brethren have their on-line services back!

(For some reason, I'm singing "When Sony was in hacker's land....let Playstation go." to the tune of Ferris Bueller's Day Off after that.)

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"so it may not be outside of the realm of possibility that it could strike again"
However, it would be extremely stupid, since the freaking FBI is keeping a close eye on things, along with the beefed up securitymeasures and -team. And this 'leak' ain't helping either!

Massive, massive balls or some kind of delusion about being untraceable might give them the mindset to strike thrice.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Unconfirmed reports of an imminent attack? I just flashed back to the early whatever the last decade gets called.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
Though I'm not for hackers of this kind, but I will admit they will have huge balls and very good luck to do this and get away with it. That or Sony didn't really beef up their security beside putting a billy goat at the entrance and the FBI are to busy eating donuts to notice. Not like that can happen.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
I really hate people that uses hacking to do illegal things and I really hope they get caught, but I doubt they ever will get them.

Related I just got a mail this morning that my personal date might be compromised. Stupid DCUO.

MelasZepheos said:

I don't see any reason that I can't dislike Sony and hate the criminals at the same time.