Rumor: Sony Developing Smash Bros-Style Brawler for PS3

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Oooooh, FUN. I'm in, so long as its a dumb brawler like Smash Brothers rather than a "serious business" fighter.

I heard that the "Michael" commercial may have something to do with this. If that's true, then I guess Ezio is included as well. And I guess Snake will have the privilege of being a part of both a Nintendo and Sony brawler.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Sony has a lot of IPs to use if they wanted to go through this. Resistance, Twisted Metal (See SweetTooth) Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, inFamous, Metal Gear Solid, Killzone, God of War, Little Big Planet, the PlayStation Final Fantasies (They'd probably have to ask Square though.), Uncharted, the Team Ico games, Yakuza, the list goes on and on. There's a lot of potential for this to work and I'm excited if this actually turns out to be true.

I'd imagine more people would get pissed if Microsoft announced a Smash Bros esque game for their IPs.

EDIT: Sold if Title Fight (working title?) includes Alex Mercer so I can re-enact Cole vs. Alex Mercer.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
buy teh haloz said:
Sony has a lot of IPs to use if they wanted to go through this. Resistance, Twisted Metal (See SweetTooth) Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, inFamous, Metal Gear Solid, Killzone, God of War, Little Big Planet, the PlayStation Final Fantasies (They'd probably have to ask Square though.), Uncharted, the Team Ico games, Yakuza, the list goes on and on. There's a lot of potential for this to work and I'm excited if this actually turns out to be true.

I'd imagine more people would get pissed if Microsoft announced a Smash Bros esque game for their IPs.
Don't forget Heavy Rain. They could have that dude just screaming "Jay-SUUUUN!!!!" "JAY-soohn!!!"

Annoying your opponent into submission.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Visulth said:
As a huge smash fan my knee jerk reaction was a bit of spite that the idea was being copied. Then I realized this is actually good news. If Sony releases a competitor product--on different a system, sure--I feel there would be pressure on Nintendo to fix some of the irritating problems with Smash games, e.g. no more godforsaken clone characters, and take their product more seriously.
What has Sony ever done that isn't a direct copy of what Nintendo is doing?

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
DustyDrB said:
Oooooh, FUN. I'm in, so long as its a dumb brawler like Smash Brothers rather than a "serious business" fighter.

I heard that the "Michael" commercial may have something to do with this. If that's true, then I guess Ezio is included as well. And I guess Snake will have the privilege of being a part of both a Nintendo and Sony brawler.
I would dance with joy if the game took your Home character, made it a playable character in the game, and when you beat the career/arcade mode, the Michael commercial comes on, but with one major difference.

The characters start acknowledging you and your accomplishments and bring out a new picture to hang with your Home character on it as the characters shout "TO YOU! TO YOU!"

...Oh God, I just figured out how badly I want this game.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
DustyDrB said:
buy teh haloz said:

Don't forget Heavy Rain. They could have that dude just screaming "Jay-SUUUUN!!!!" "JAY-soohn!!!"

Annoying your opponent into submission.
I would be even happier if they let you play as Norman Jayden or any of the other characters, but their special moves look like the QTE's from Heavy Rain complete with the button prompt.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Could be cool, we could have Joseph Capellia take that smug prick Ratchet down a peg xD

On a side note: sold if it includes Quark.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
They don't have good enough first party characters, but that's not the issue here. Piling a bunch of familiar characters into it is not what makes a good fighting game, and SSB has a very good, and for its time (and still) innovative combat system, and I doubt Sony'll be able to compete with that. Also, that title is moronic.
But still, could be a lot of fun, as long as they keep it casual. Which they won't. I guess I just don't have much hope for this, I'll just have to wait and see.
buy teh haloz said:
Watch Master Chief fight Cortana! Marcus Fenix versus The Hero of Oakvalee! Noble Six vs. The Rookie! The Warthog vs some car from Forza! A whopping 10 characters to choose from, coming soon to an Xbox near you!

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
FolkLikePanda said:
Please throw Naughty Dog's Crash Bandicoot and other characters in there please.
^^This. Every time I see uncharted and see a level were the character is running away (towards the camera) from some impending doom, all I can think about is this:

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Intersting. Escpecially as this is going to pave the way to a Sony vs. Capcom if its true.

Actual opinion will have to wait till i actually see what the game is like.

FolkLikePanda said:
Please throw Naughty Dog's Crash Bandicoot and other characters in there please.
Sadly, Crash is owned by Activision now. You might have missed it, but his games have gotten constantly worse since that happened and now we hear almost nothing of him anymore.

Torrasque said:
What has Sony ever done that isn't a direct copy of what Nintendo is doing?
HD graphics, for one thing.

chronicfc

Jun 1, 2011
good, I've always wanted to see Nathan Drake get beat to shit by Kratos, the smug ****... good games though, but I do just want to see him against Kratos... epic win

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I can hope for:

Characters:
Laharl
Sir Daniel Fortesque
Wander
Abe from Oddworld (arguable)
Pyramid head
Dante (arguable)
Amaterasu (arguable)
A Persona Protagonist
A Monster Hunter
Cloud

Stages:
Patapon
Loco Roco
Phalanx (13th colossus, as mentioned by a facebook commenter)
R-Type

Item:
That sphere from inFamous

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
You know, I was already wondering why Microsoft and Sony didn't just bite the bullet and took a shot at the super smash formula.

Good luck to the PS3 fans. hope they make something good out of it

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
gigastar said:
Intersting. Escpecially as this is going to pave the way to a Sony vs. Capcom if its true.

Actual opinion will have to wait till i actually see what the game is like.

FolkLikePanda said:
Sadly, Crash is owned by Activision now. You might have missed it, but his games have gotten constantly worse since that happened and now we hear almost nothing of him anymore.
Yeah, I know ),= I meant put in Naughty Dog's version of Crash and some of the characters from the series. Wish Naughty Dog could buy back Crash.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
The mention of three tiers of special moves automatically made me think of Marvel vs Capcom. I can see it working as either a super smash bros type brawler or a fast paced team fighter like MVC. Might make it my first fighter for this generation if it's good enough, otherwise I'll get UMVC when it's cheaper, either way I win.

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
I think Sony definitely has a big enough catalogue of characters and stages to make this work now. I haven't owned a nintendo system since the N64 and have been hoping for something like this for a while. By now they should have enough data on what does and doesn't work from Smash Bros. too.

Killzone, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, God of War, the Ico games, Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, Little Big Planet, Uncharted, Parappa, Silent Hill, Infamous, Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, Devil May Cry...that's plenty of franchises to draw from.

It seems especially lucrative when you consider the modern fighting game business model: release half of game for full price, release over priced DLC, profit.

They just have to decide what kind of audience they want to aim for. God of War and Little Big Plan attract very different age ranges. They's either have to nerf the shit out of the mature titles or destroy everything sacred and innocent about the E-rated titles.

ryanxm

Jan 19, 2009
This will either be one of the coolest things ever, or one of the biggest let downs ever. I really hope its the former. Wonder if Wanderer's special power could be turning into a colossus? That'd be pretty grape. This entire thing might make me feel nostalgic enough about the ps2 to make me want a ps3.