Rumor: Sony Developing Smash Bros-Style Brawler for PS3

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
what happened to creativity? since when puting a bunch of ready made characters is enogh for a roster? what happened to...
aww heck say what you would but we all know we are going to buy this :p

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
I feel like the success of the SSB franchise has been that it's character's wouldn't normally fight...
Mario fighting Peach or Luigi? Awesome, that's what made it. Lovable characters beating the hell out of eachother. Also the themes of these games are very similar which allows for a more believable fighting game. PS3's mainstays will feel out of place.
The PS3 doesn't have this in such a way. Short of Solid Snake cutting sackboy's throat this game won't have any of those "awesome matchups" that SSB had and it won't have SSB's wholesomness. Kirby ruled because it's Kirby of all people kicking ass.

I don't see this working personally, happy to be proven wrong. And honestly the characters I would want to see fight are FF characters and there is already a game of that out.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
this is really really awesome
but what's really sad is that my first thought was: will they cut kratos or snake to be DLC?

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
...But wasn't the whole point of Smash Bros. that it's basically a blast of pure, fanboy-ish nostalgia turned into a fighting game? To be honest, I don't think a fight between Kratos and Nathan Drake is on many people's imaginary character-vs-character wish-lists. I'm not even sure it's in the top 100. =/

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Some very interesting material that Sony can use.

Kratos will be good, along with Nathan, Sly and Sweet Tooth. Surprised that Parappa and Fat Princess get a look to be honest, those games are a little niche in their appeal and haven't seen any action for a while.

Unless this game will also serve as an advertisement for sequels I really don't understand wasting the effort designing characters that won't sway many people.

My ideas;

Sackboy could be heavily reliant upon the scenery, building temporary obstructions or pathways to confuzzle his opponents. Most of his damage coming indirectly (like building a trampoline to fire back enemy projectiles) he would require an advanced player to properly utilise.

Cole MacGrath (of whom will be appearing in Street Fighter X Tekken as well); has a lot of potential - as well having the option of being two characters, with his Evil and Pure Karma incarnations.

Jak has a lot of versatility, with multiple firearms at his disposal, Daxter for annoyance and distraction attacks and of course Dark Jak when things gets serious. If the game was to entertain the prospect of "Home Stage Advantage" perhaps Dark Jak could be activated by slipping into some Dark Eco?

Ratchet would be similar in execution to Jak I imagine, but with a lot more focus on the gadgetry. Perhaps he would be permitted to have an equipment set up so no two Ratchets would be the same. Jet Clank or Hydro Clank. Disco Ball or Morph-o-Ray.

THose are the main players I can think of, others spring to mind like Nariko - but they seem to small time to really be an attractive prospect.

James Nixon

Nov 8, 2010
Sir Daniel Fortesque would work well.

Problem is, while Sony has a lot of franchises, most of them are now forgotten.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
James Nixon said:
Problem is, while Sony has a lot of franchises, most of them are now forgotten.
This is a perfect way to advertise for the PSN downloadable PS1 games they star in.

MaxiP62

Jul 10, 2011
I would love this, and if anything this further proves that Sony and Nintendo are constantly doing things right instead of Microsoft, who have no decent exclusives, are doing things wrong.

Long. Live. Play.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
PlayStation characters? Bah! Who cares!? They've already made my fanboy Smash Bros clone in Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion! I mean: I can get Numbuh 1, Johnny Bravo and Dexter to team up and punch Ben 10 in his fat stupid face! Get it over here to the UK, pronto!

But in all seriousness, colour me intrigued. It's pretty hard to dispel the rumour at this point what with how concrete all of this is looking. But yeah, I'm down for putting money down for the finished product!

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I have a feeling that it will be a flop. The success of SSB was on the cast of characters and their chemistry for pure fanboy camp. Sony...doesn't really have that kind of appeal. Sackboy vs Kratos? That's more strage than anything.

HOWEVER!!!

Jak vs Ratchet vs Sly

Let it be done.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
All that comes to mind is Yahtzee's intro for the God of War 3 review, of watching Kratos wear Nathan Drake's wisecracking plasticine hair as a hat. Or possibly just waving it around as a trophy.

That said, it can't be true to the characters, because it's a fighting game. Ratchet and Clank would just wheel out whatever planet sized super weapon they have, Kratos would just furiously chop everything into pulpy giblets, and Cole McGrath would just bring down an ionic tempest, and thunderbolt everyone to death. Nathan Drake, being able to regenerate from bullets by using his hair as a shield, would just die. Woefully, not before spouting some terrible line or having to retrace the arc of the previous game. Oh well.

Hyrulian Hero

May 20, 2009
Sony no longer has exclusive rights to Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider or a lot of the other good games that helped launch their first system. As such, none of those characters would be in this hypothetical game.

That being said, however, Sony does still have a lineup of some decent characters than can be thrown in the mix here. If they were really smart they'd work out a deal with Nintendo and do a Sony vs. Nintendo game released only on the PS3 and Wii (I know, won't happen. But since we're being hypothetical anyways...) because then that would be a purely epic game and would be a big screw you to the 360, which is currently dominating the gaming market.