Rumor: Sorry Folks, There Will be no DirectX 12 Support For Windows 7 - Update

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
TechNoFear said:
Strazdas said:
Also Kotaku is not a source.
Kotaku had some interesting information and was easier to read, but here is a MS DirectX 12 dev's blog stating XBox One is supported (but as you think MS lies what is the point?).

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/archive/2014/03/20/directx-12.aspx
While i dont doubt there is correct info on Kotaku sometimes, trusting them to report gaming news is like trusting Fox to report politics. yeah, they sometimes do factual stuff, but are you really going to bet on that?

The blog you linked does not state anywhere that it will be supported on Xbox. The closest it got is claims that everyone, including Xbox owners, are waiting for it.
The only other part it talks about Xbox is the paragraph that can only be described as Forza advertisement because it seems to shill for it ignoring reality.

Emanuele Ciriachi said:
You artificially choose not to support 7 for marketing reasons?
[citation needed]

J Tyran said:
As you have already dismissed one source lets see you dismiss another, here [http://www.redgamingtech.com/phil-spencer-discusses-xbox-one-directx-12-cloud-gaming/] is one of several interviews Phil Spencer (you know the guy in charge of Xbox...) did about the future of the console.
Ok now thats bit better. Here Phil does indeed seems to think Xbox is running directX 12 so it leads credence to it. Its also interesting to point out he also claims that it will provide significant improvements to PC while not providing such to Xbox. And to hear that from Xbox head is quite unexpected.

Metalrocks said:
looks like it. at times i ask my self if they deliberately want to confuse everyone.
If you look at how the control panel changes every time its quite clearly that the answer is yes.

lordofpowies

Jul 20, 2013
You fucking people. You're not allowed to discontinue support for a product until the newer product is no longer a flaming pile of shit.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Microsoft announced that Direct X 12 would require Windows 8.1 when Direct X 12 was annoumced I can't believe anyone is surprised by this. By the time its released Windows 7 will be 2 releases behind, can't keep supporting it forever.

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
They're gonna have to put out some really heavy hitting games to pry Win7 out of my computer. Trying to pull a Halo2-like stunt isnt going to cut.

Asuterisuku

Jul 10, 2011
I still feel like most of the hate directed at Windows 8 is for people who haven't used it, especially when it's functionally identical to Windows 7 in 90% of cases, is more efficient in another 8%. That makes them exactly 2% justified. I don't get it.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Gee, Microsoft is awfully keen. There's bugger-all support for DirectX 10, let alone 11, and they're pushing 12? Geez, give the poor developers some time to catch up with your last revision.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Asuterisuku said:
I still feel like most of the hate directed at Windows 8 is for people who haven't used it, especially when it's functionally identical to Windows 7 in 90% of cases, is more efficient in another 8%. That makes them exactly 2% justified. I don't get it.
Really?
I've actually used it and it fucking sucked.

The default interface was absolute rubbish and way too much of a pain to change, installing updated/fixed drivers for a good deal of my hardware was either outright ignored, faulty, or denied (even at the privileged level), it had extreme difficulty running certain pieces of legacy software that my Win7 install had no issues with.

If there is technical efficiency improvements, I never saw them in any of my benchmarks or uptime, and the effort required to learn how to find those is simply not worth it at this time.

So I formatted that machine and put Win7 back on in about 10 days. No, I'm not going back.
Win10 may require my attention for a time in the future, when friends, family and professional colleagues ask for my opinion again (curse of being an IT guy) but Win8 made a terrible first impression.

And keep in mind: I'm the one random wacko that defended VISTA. (with caveats)
I actually had fewer issues with Vista than I did Win7 or Win8, ironically.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Strazdas said:
The blog you linked does not state anywhere that it will be supported on Xbox. The closest it got is claims that everyone, including Xbox owners, are waiting for it.
Yes it does, in the first paragraph. Clearly you need to work on your reading comprehension.

And it isn?t just for high-end gaming PCs either ? Direct3D 12 works across all the Microsoft devices you care about. From phones and tablets, to laptops and desktops, and, of course, Xbox One, Direct3D 12 is the API you?ve been waiting for.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
lordofpowies said:
You fucking people. You're not allowed to discontinue support for a product until the newer product is no longer a flaming pile of shit.
they are not discontinuing support. they are not adding new stuff to it.

Asuterisuku said:
I cant vouch for everyone, but i used 8 and went back to 7. you are wrong about it being functionally indentical, both from user side and from kernel side.

TechNoFear said:
Strazdas said:
Yes it does, in the first paragraph. Clearly you need to work on your reading comprehension.

And it isn?t just for high-end gaming PCs either ? Direct3D 12 works across all the Microsoft devices you care about. From phones and tablets, to laptops and desktops, and, of course, Xbox One, Direct3D 12 is the API you?ve been waiting for.
you are correct. my mind was searching for DirectX12 and somehow missed Direct3D. my apologies.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
TechNoFear said:
Strazdas said:

There is no need to insult the guy.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
archiebawled said:
Did you use Win8 or Win8.1? Win8.1 comes with a simple option to log in and go straight to Desktop. Installing a classic start menu takes 5 minutes, including the google search for it. Not a huge effort really.
That was Win8.
Win8.1 didn't exist at the time, and I still see no reason to "upgrade". At this point, the benefits would be puny and I'd just end up wasting more time.

Are you using some esoteric hardware? In any case, drivers are the responsibility of their manufacturers. If the manufacturer of a device doesn't write a new driver for Win8, it's not fair to blame that on Microsoft.
Esoteric? Not really, no.
It's not a matter of driver creation, it's a matter of driver ACCEPTANCE.

In every other version of Windows, I could work around the architecture to get drivers to work for even all but the most ridiculously obscure hardware...EXCEPT 8, which kept rolling back drivers behind my back for seemingly no reason.

Legacy software not running on Win8 is also not a failing of Microsoft - you're running software on an OS it was never designed to work on, so why would you expect it to work? It's not reasonable to expect Microsoft to maintain backwards compatibility indefinitely.
In other words: Win8 (or 8.1) really isn't a straight upgrade of 7 at all.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
I shall await the reviews!

As in I shall await the tech websites running games in both DX11 and DX12 mode. And we shall see what it shall bring us. But I get why windows 7 might be set aside.

Microsoft has to sell windows 8/10 one way. And secondly who knows what layer switcheroo they have been doing to make directx run better in windows 8. It could be that there is deep in that murkyness of windows software layers a reason why windows 7 doesn't gets it and windows 8 does.

Windows is a mystery.. it isn't an open box and we ought not to forget that. It is quite possible that windows 7, good as it is, wouldn't support parts that would make Directx 12 run as it should. That is microsoft and windows for you, that is how they work..

If microsoft designed hardware their PCB designs would be just horrible. And unlike Linux they can't just do a full replacement of a broken model.. with Linux they simple can change whole modules. With windows well.. not going to happen.

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
masticina said:
I shall await the reviews!

As in I shall await the tech websites running games in both DX11 and DX12 mode. And we shall see what it shall bring us. But I get why windows 7 might be set aside.

Microsoft has to sell windows 8/10 one way. And secondly who knows what layer switcheroo they have been doing to make directx run better in windows 8. It could be that there is deep in that murkyness of windows software layers a reason why windows 7 doesn't gets it and windows 8 does.

Windows is a mystery.. it isn't an open box and we ought not to forget that. It is quite possible that windows 7, good as it is, wouldn't support parts that would make Directx 12 run as it should. That is microsoft and windows for you, that is how they work..

If microsoft designed hardware their PCB designs would be just horrible. And unlike Linux they can't just do a full replacement of a broken model.. with Linux they simple can change whole modules. With windows well.. not going to happen.
No mystery :). The directors from the top told the OS engineers that people have stopped buying shit. To keep your jobs you'll force people to buy new shit!