Rumor: Sorry Folks, There Will be no DirectX 12 Support For Windows 7 - Update

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Strazdas said:
RicoADF said:
Get Steam OS, its Linux which is what Mac OSX is built off anyway (well Unix)
Oh come on, OSX is so far from Linux nowadays that even Linux advocates dont dare using it as an example. its even officialy labeled as hybrid now and even at its inception wasnt full linux.
I said built off rather than "is a varient of/distro of". Your right that it's been heavily modified although how much isn't so easy to determine. From what I can tell it still uses alot of Unix's ways of doing things even if the coding has been rewritten. Even by your own comment it's a hybrid, thus sharing Linux coding which was what I was trying to say. Apologies if I've worded it badly.
They both use Open GL which from the perspective of this topic is the main relevance as it makes porting between them easier.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
so win 9 is not even out and they talk already of win 10? seriously, is M$ stoned or what? or more likely blinded by all the money they want to make.
i still stick with win 7. but eventually i have to upgrade but this would be win 10. have win 8 on my tab and so far it really annoys me that i have some sound issues and keeps freezing. but also very likely its the tab that has issues.
seriously, not for long and i would seriously consider changing the OS.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Regarding the Update:

Oh... so no denial of the veracity of the rumor? Just PR-speak? Yep, this is as good as confirmed.

Metalrocks said:
so win 9 is not even out and they talk already of win 10? seriously, is M$ stoned or what? or more likely blinded by all the money they want to make.
i still stick with win 7. but eventually i have to upgrade but this would be win 10. have win 8 on my tab and so far it really annoys me that i have some sound issues and keeps freezing. but also very likely its the tab that has issues.
There will be no win9.

Win 10 is basically a new OS structure going forward so they jumped to a round number.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Hungry Donner said:
I'm skeptical MS expects many people to drop Win7 because of a DX restriction, this clearly didn't happen when WinXP was locked out of DX10. The biggest effect of the the DX10 restriction was freezing minimum graphics at DX9c for so long. Whether it was intended or not, (foil hats are optional), from my understanding the XBox 360 was running around this level. If the XBox One was locked at DX11 that would lend this idea credence, but this isn't doesn't appear to the case.

I think I may have just undermined my point, woops.
Still a good point though, with both consoles being PCs and the Xbone (I know own one and its still an Xbone) using DX12 we may see a faster uptake of DX12 in PC games this time, its easier to cram it in even as an afterthought this time.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Will they try to use Halo to push this forced upgrade thing again?

Doesn't matter. I can still play 99,9% of PC games in a XP system so I don't care at all.

EiMitch

Nov 20, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Sorry Folks, There Will be no DirectX 12 Support For Windows 7

Microsoft's latest DirectX API will be exclusive to Windows 8 and Windows 10.

Update: According to a statement received by GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/amd-misspoke-saying-directx-12-won-t-work-with-win/1100-6423617/], Huddy "misspoke" regarding DirectX 12 support for Windows 7.

"There have been reports based on a video of Richard Huddy of AMD making speculative comments around DirectX 12 support on versions of Windows," AMD said in the statement. "Richard Huddy does not speak for Microsoft, and he was unfortunately speculating from Microsoft's publication of key dates and milestones for Windows 7 lifecycle and mainstream support policy. Richard has no special insight into Microsoft's Windows or DirectX roadmaps. Microsoft is a key, strategic partner for AMD and we're continuously collaborating with them on DirectX 12."

So, even though it's just speculation, we probably won't be too surprised if this one turns out to be true, given Microsoft's history.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/amd-misspoke-saying-directx-12-won-t-work-with-win/1100-6423617/]
So MS is denying it. If it turns out that MS is lying, I expect a huge backlash. I'll be seriously disappointed if everyone just shrugs and says "meh, its MS being MS again. Whaddagonnado?"

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
EiMitch said:
Steven Bogos said:
Sorry Folks, There Will be no DirectX 12 Support For Windows 7

Microsoft's latest DirectX API will be exclusive to Windows 8 and Windows 10.

Update: According to a statement received by GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/amd-misspoke-saying-directx-12-won-t-work-with-win/1100-6423617/], Huddy "misspoke" regarding DirectX 12 support for Windows 7.

"There have been reports based on a video of Richard Huddy of AMD making speculative comments around DirectX 12 support on versions of Windows," AMD said in the statement. "Richard Huddy does not speak for Microsoft, and he was unfortunately speculating from Microsoft's publication of key dates and milestones for Windows 7 lifecycle and mainstream support policy. Richard has no special insight into Microsoft's Windows or DirectX roadmaps. Microsoft is a key, strategic partner for AMD and we're continuously collaborating with them on DirectX 12."

So, even though it's just speculation, we probably won't be too surprised if this one turns out to be true, given Microsoft's history.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/amd-misspoke-saying-directx-12-won-t-work-with-win/1100-6423617/]
So MS is denying it. If it turns out that MS is lying, I expect a huge backlash. I'll be seriously disappointed if everyone just shrugs and says "meh, its MS being MS again. Whaddagonnado?"
No, they aren't denying it. They are merely saying that this guy doesn't necessarily speak for them.

In not denying it, they have as good as confirmed it in my book.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
This is hardly surprising seeing as they are already holding DirectX 11.2 hostage to Win8.1. And there is not a technical reason for it, most of the few things needed to bring it to 7 were already implemented for Internet Explorer 11.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Kahani said:
As with XP, extended support including security updates will continue for a few years longer, so again people are not being forced to upgrade their OS now for no reason. But it's absolutely normal for non-essential updates such as DX not to be provided for an OS this old.
I have misunderstood then. i thought he meant that they are dropping win7 support entirely in the same fashion as they dropped XP last year.

J Tyran said:
Still a good point though, with both consoles being PCs and the Xbone (I know own one and its still an Xbone) using DX12 we may see a faster uptake of DX12 in PC games this time, its easier to cram it in even as an afterthought this time.
Once again do you have any evidence of Xbox One using DX12? Because as far as we know now its stuck at DX11

Czann said:
Doesn't matter. I can still play 99,9% of PC games in a XP system so I don't care at all.
how do you count. if you count from 1980 to now yes 99.99% will likely run in XP in some manner or other.

If you look at games released this year youll notice a severe lack of XP support because games are dropping DX9 en mass.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Not a huge issue, if it is true...

The really big gains from DirectX 12 appear to be in the mobile space or low end hardware (as the higher CPU utilization reduces power consumption).

And as much as I like Win7, it will be 6 years old when DirectX 12 comes out.

Strazdas said:
Once again do you have any evidence of Xbox One using DX12? Because as far as we know now its stuck at DX11
MS said XBox One would run DX12 in March.

MS also said DX12 would run on Windows phones and existing hardware (ie most graphics cards made in the last 2 years).

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/03/what-you-need-to-know-about-directx-12/

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
TechNoFear said:
MS said XBox One would run DX12 in March.

MS also said DX12 would run on Windows phones and existing hardware (ie most graphics cards made in the last 2 years).

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/03/what-you-need-to-know-about-directx-12/
MS says a lot of things. They lied enough about Xbox to not take their sayings as a fact.

WIndows Phones are using Windows 8 thats cut down for mobile basically. While Xbox is also based on Windows 8, it is missing A LOT of libraries that may be cardinal for DX12. While yes, a OS update could theoretically fix this, considering how much bloat Xbox OS currently has it would be a spectacular thing to watch.

Also Kotaku is not a source.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Strazdas said:
Also Kotaku is not a source.
Kotaku had some interesting information and was easier to read, but here is a MS DirectX 12 dev's blog stating XBox One is supported (but as you think MS lies what is the point?).

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/archive/2014/03/20/directx-12.aspx

Emanuele Ciriachi

Jun 6, 2013
Well, do what you want MS I'll still stick to Windows 7 just as I sticked to XP. You artificially choose not to support 7 for marketing reasons? In that case, I really hope that Mantle will take hold in near future.

sataricon

Oct 7, 2014
RhombusHatesYou said:
loa said:
Why would they heavily mimimize their audience just to help you throw your weight around instead of trying to convince people with a good product?
They could always try paying publishers to go DX12 only, although it would take a publisher with considerable contempt for the PC market to accept a deal like that... so they could pencil Ubisoft in.
Actually they tried doing that before...don't remember the game name here but it was something to deal with samurai and it was a tactical strategy game.
They paid the poor devs to make their game Win8 only so the game didn't sell at all.

I don't think AAA devs would be stupid enough to do this to their game.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Maybe Microsoft caught the backlash early enough to backtrack. It took them several months with the Xbone, maybe they are getting quicker?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Strazdas said:
J Tyran said:
As you have already dismissed one source lets see you dismiss another, here [http://www.redgamingtech.com/phil-spencer-discusses-xbox-one-directx-12-cloud-gaming/] is one of several interviews Phil Spencer (you know the guy in charge of Xbox...) did about the future of the console.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Lightknight said:
Regarding the Update:

Oh... so no denial of the veracity of the rumor? Just PR-speak? Yep, this is as good as confirmed.

Metalrocks said:
There will be no win9.

Win 10 is basically a new OS structure going forward so they jumped to a round number.
looks like it. at times i ask my self if they deliberately want to confuse everyone.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
RhombusHatesYou said:
loa said:
Why would they heavily mimimize their audience just to help you throw your weight around instead of trying to convince people with a good product?
They could always try paying publishers to go DX12 only, although it would take a publisher with considerable contempt for the PC market to accept a deal like that... so they could pencil Ubisoft in.
I doubt even Ubisoft would do that. Unless microsoft were willing to pay enough that the publishers wouldn't have to sell even a single copy in order to make back their expenses, because lets face it, zero copies is a decent estimate for Windows 8 and 10 exclusivity.