Rumor: Too Human Developer Lays Off 75 Percent of Staff

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Their last two games were shit. That's natural selection for you.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Baresark said:
Sounds like the Canadian Government should have payed that money to another studio. That is government spending for you. Put it into failed endeavors.
We should've known from that moment that they were boned. Government funding is involved? It can't be a good idea.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
its not exactly unexpected The only organization I know that gets away with putting out a losing product and not still make a profit is the Pirates and Cubs (O-HO! baseball humour).

anyway, wasnt too human supposed to be a game in a series of three? causeit doesnt look like they'll be accomplishing that now.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
They need to work on Too Human II or maybe re-release Eternal Darkness for the PSN/XBL and then make a sequel to it???
With how mediocre they've become I don't think you want them to do that.

What I'm really angry about is how 70 people lost their jobs and yet that whiny, pretentious crybaby Dyack still has his. How this idiot managed to scam millions from the Canadian government is beyond me

SomEngangVar

Sep 23, 2009
I can't be the only one who wants to see how they wrap up Too Human and try to make it make sense.

Shame they did so awfully on it. It could have been cool. The aesthetic was interesting, at least.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
It sucks that people got fired, but let's face it, Silicon Knights is not a studio a lot of people will miss. They should have never gotten government funding, they were doomed to fail from the start. Also, this is not necessarily a bad thing, it's hard to handle that many employees and focusing on something smaller can lead to something great.

Trasken

Mar 30, 2010
that's what they get for focusing on their crappy too human franchise instead of giving us what we want ie: not crap

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Well its sad but it is the circle of economic life. These individual developers will either go on to form their own projects or join other teams and make them stronger by bringing new ideas into their realms.

Its a good thing in the scheme of things because if they are hobbling around making bad games they are just tying up that talent and keeping them from doing something better.

Too Human was such a regrettable occurrence. I mean seriously, How the hell can you combine Norse mythology and high tech power armor and fuck it up? The game play of the game wasnt even that bad.. it was just the story was an absolute train wreck. Which goes to show, even if some dont want to admit it, story IS generally an important part to any game.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Well I wasn't surprised when I saw this headline, Probably just another case of development getting bogged down one way or another, and releasing bad games on the public.

Its like watching cooking competitions, the chef wouldn't send out a under cooked chicken, the consumer would get sick, much in the same way anyone who bought Too Human Or the New Xmen game did.

Seriously how hard is it to make a good game where the concept is you equip the special abilities of various xmen and become some supreme mutant that has the best of the best.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I'd hold sympathy, but from what I've heard they feel that Too Human deserves a sequel more than Eternal Darkness. I'm sorry, but it looks like the developer may pay for the decision with it's staff.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
shintakie10 said:
D0WNT0WN said:
Protip: Dont make shitty games

Just make a Eternal Darkness sequel and count your losses.
Considering how crappy Eternal Darkness sold (despite how awesome it was) I'm not at all surprised they never made a sequel.
Well, it was a great game made for a platform that looked like and was commonly perceived as a toddler's toy at a time when its true potential audience was buying Xboxs and PS3s. Simple recipe to save the studio:
1) Port Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem to XBLA. Most of the work is already done, so it could be done on the cheap a la Beyond Good and Evil. Quick money and easier than developing a new IP.
2) Instead of half-assing an X-Men title (with its expensive licensing fee), create a second Eternal Darkness game. Buzz from the re-release of Sanity's Requiem would pretty much guarantee good sales... and since they own the IP, they don't need to share profits with Marvel.

Oh well, too late now.

ChocoCake

Nov 23, 2008
This is sad... Too Human was one of my most played games. I only have a couple classes left to max out with epic stuff..
Oh well. Skyrim is soon.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
bahumat42 said:
AugustFall said:
bahumat42 said:
why do people create bad games like this latest x-men abomination and expect it to sell
They were commissioned to make a game. It's not like they could say half way through, "Oh wait, this is shit." And then not release anything or ask for another year. Money went into the game, they have to release something.
ok simple sentence for you
its an x-men game, where you don't play as the x-men.
Oh yeah, that's a terrible fucking idea. No doubt.

"Okay, so the X-men is a huge franchise. An RPG? Yeah okay, plenty of room to play with that in the X-men universe. Hmmm, roleplaying as an established character isn't really roleplaying. What if the player could be a new character and live in the X-men universe growing in power. This way they could imagine they are a member of the X-men and decide their own fate! We could call it Destiny!"

Sounds kind of good to me. The fact is they have ideas before they try and make it. Then time constraints and the ability of the team may limit or remove good ideas. I'm not saying Destiny is a good game or even has the basic premise of a good game.
I'm saying it doesn't sound like the worst idea and stupider premises have become classics. People don't set out to make a bad game. Every dev thinks their game will be amazing.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
What happened to Silicon Knights?

Really. I want an answer.

They broke into console games with Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, which was compelling and innovative in many ways. It broke ground for video games as a third-person storytelling medium.

They later made Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, one of my favorite games ever. It was a game that had third-person survival-horror gameplay that was limiting and made you feel like a ordinary person (unlike the action-horror Resident Evil 4) without having straight up BAD controls/gameplay (like the original Resident Evil). This balance of designing the gameplay to make the characters feel limited/ordinary without making the controls BAD is something few horror games have been able to tap into nowadays.

And then...they just started making bad games.

What happened?

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
AugustFall said:
they[/I] are a member of the X-men and decide their own fate! We could call it Destiny!"

Sounds kind of good to me. The fact is they have ideas before they try and make it. Then time constraints and the ability of the team may limit or remove good ideas. I'm not saying Destiny is a good game or even has the basic premise of a good game.
I'm saying it doesn't sound like the worst idea and stupider premises have become classics. People don't set out to make a bad game. Every dev thinks their game will be amazing.
Silicon Knights has no problem at coming up with good IDEAS for games, but not since Eternal Darkness have they been able to translate their great concepts into well-executed gaming experiences.