Rumor: Tron: Legacy Might Be a Financial Flop

Oct 14, 2010
What worries me is that, back in the day, Tron's minimalist sort of aesthetic was new and cool. Nowadays, it looks kind of, well... dull; at least from an outsider's perspective.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Freebird. said:
A movie aimed specifically for nerds might have trouble making money? Shocker.

I BLAME THE EXPENDABLES!
You, sir, have won this thread! Congratulations!

OT: No idea what tests these folk have been running, cos most of my friends are looking forward to this. Then again, a lot of my other friends thought it looked crap when advertised before Harry Potter. Those same people then thought Megamind looked hilarious. Does this mean that I need better friends or that I need to educate them in good films? Because sometimes it's worked (District 9 & Scott Pilgrim) but everything else has failed miserably.

Regardless; on Saturday 18th December, I'll be lining up to see Tron Legacy in 3D. No, really. This is 3D's last chance. If it can't look good in Tron, it has no business existing.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Disney, quick, add a princess in it and Hannah Montana and alienate the original audience. You know, like you've done with the Disney Channel in the past few decades.

Did they just now realize what the target audience for Tron has been for the past 30-ish years?

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I think the estimates are off. Just going on my personal perspective, but I hated Tron, I hate 3D movies, and I hate even going to movies, but I STILL am interested in checking this out. Says a lot for a movie like this. It looks freaking cool. There's also a family appeal element to a movie like this, especially with the Disney brand attached to it. What you rather take your kids to, Tangled or Tron: Badass?

Crowser

Feb 13, 2009
Never saw the first and honestly I have NO idea what its about (besides a guy getting sucked into a computer) so I'm pumped for this one all the more. Seems... mysterious lol. The visuals look AMAZING.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
This is not okay. At all. Nerds have wanted a sequel to Tron for ages; if it finally happens, and it flops miserably, what does that say about future nerdy products?

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Freebird. said:
TheGreenManalishi said:
Daft Punk.

Olivia Wilde.

I fail to see why someone wouldn't want to see this film.
People who can't listen to more than a minute of Daft Punk songs because they're so repetitive? People who think Olivia Wilde is a talentless whore who is only famous because of her looks?
Normally, I hate techno/electronica/dance music, but Daft Punk is my exception.

I bet they make a cameo in the one of the crowds...they always do.

Definitely going to see this...in 3D, even!

ScarletScapegrace

Oct 4, 2009
vansau said:
One of the major problems is that the film doesn't seem terribly appealing to female audiences, so "Disney is scrambling to find ways to garner more female interest in the film."

Oh, so now Disney is scrambling to find more ways to lure in more women to watch it. It seemed to me that the bulk of their Tron merchandise was 98.5% focused on appealing towards the male demographic, even when there were enough reasons to get excited about it.

It's not like I'm bitter at the marketing/clothing division for not having a Quorra "Tron Lines" fitted T-shirt or any other female apparel in the official merchandise collection that actually looks nice when someone is wearing it. (/rant)

Regardless, I have heard nothing but positive buzz for this movie from my circle of friends. When I get the chance, I will see during its theater run.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
vansau said:
One of the major problems is that the film doesn't seem terribly appealing to female audiences, so "Disney is scrambling to find ways to garner more female interest in the film."
So essentially, they're going to do something to the film that has no bearing on story in order to please a demographic and appeal to everyone.

The "Please everyone with a mediocre product rather than a small audience with a great one" strategy

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
So they're gonna cut it to be more chick friendly :< .... I'll see how things go, but if they do that then they've lost a (used to be) definate.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Freebird. said:
I too like Daft Punk, despite my previous comments. I just don't see how anyone could listen to a song like Around the World the whole way through.
As I alluded to, Homework was (in my opinion) a bit crap (Around the World was a single from that album). Discovery and Human After All is far better (in my opinion).

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I won't see this film until I see the first one, so there's a decent chance I won't be seeing it in theaters. That's a potential $10.50 the film won't add to it's international box office.

3LANCER

Sep 11, 2008
I love the original Tron (if anyone cares I'm 6 years younger than the movie) and I'm surely going to drag my friends to see Legacy in 3D. Yes, this is highly geekish movie but it will be fun, the original is still fun so I can't see how the heck will this flop.