Rumor: Warner Bros. Imposes "No Jokes" Rule On DC Comics Movies

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I wish I didn't find this plausible.

But this is DC, whose entire MO at this point seems to be aping the Dark Ages of the 1990s.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
*Advances with rolled-up newspaper*

NO! Bad movie execs! No biscuit!

Don't go digging up the rotting corpse that is the Dark Age of comics! That poisonous tripe was killed and buried for a reason!

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
Just what modern media needs, more brooding and teaching teenagers that mature and gritty does indeed mean humourless and angsty!
Way to go WB!
I really really really hope that Aquaman escapes the humour cull, he's my bae.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Fappy said:
nima55 said:
Fappy said:
Sounds great
We are very different people, my friend
I don't have a problem with it in theory. Hell, it's actually a good decision to contrast with Marvel's films. It's just that, considering their track record so far, I really don't trust they have the talent to pull it off.
I see where you're coming from, but this just sounds like (if it's true) this will end up similar to the problem Jim had with FF13.

Everyone being sad/mad/upset all the time with no moments of happiness to see in contrast with the sad moments. Not that you necessarily need jokes or humor to have happy moments, but I'd think it would make it a lot more difficult to pull off in a story.

Plus, was there ever a moment in superhero comics where the villains and heroes meet face to face and don't make a wise crack or two?

D: Think of all the puns that will never be!

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
I know it is only two words but I read it differently. For some reason I read "No Jokes" as in we are not messing around we are giving everyone what they want from the start. Instead of stretching the story out across multiple movies each story would just be a big single important epic story. I suppose it would make sense that the big difference between them is Marvel is light hearted and bright while DC is dark but I doubt they could honestly say no jokes. Who know though, the two words is not much to go on, it is probably just some PR guy or Exec trying to sound tough and cool. WE ARE DC AND WE DON'T JOKE AROUND

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
evidently DC are going the Lego Movie Batman route of maturity.

DARKNESS
NO PARENTS
CONTINUED DARKNESS
MORE DARKNESS
GET IT?
THE OPPOSITE OF LIGHT!!!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Scorpid said:
Lol. Why? Why would you take that out of the writers tool box? I'm not saying it need to be goofy Jar Jar binks shit but even the wire which is IMO the best drama ever had some truly hilarious moments. Even Romeo and Juliet had funny moments. Laughter is just part of the human experience. Anywhere people are you can find some sort of humor somewhere. I dunno this seems like proof of a film taking itself in a direction it shouldn't by someone who has a childish understanding of what drama is.

PS: EVEN WH40k which is ALL about the grimdark has moments of humor and the community of Warhammer love to point it out. Just google Dreadknight WH40k and see what comes back at you. The world is richer with some comedy, even the drama.
The Dreadknight is more of a fandom comic relief than an official source material. For the GW content that is funny you have the Orks, aka those cockney speaking green hulks that were based off football hooligans.

I guessed I imagined those funny moments in The Dark Knight then, that's good to know.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Oh god...it's almost like WB is trying to channel the spirit of Pa "Let The Kids Drown" Kent from Man of Steel into their entire comic film universe...

I guess they have a point though. I mean, it's not like comics can be very light hearted, funny, charming or anything positive like that...right?

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
They'd best not mess up superman again. They missed what I believe is the most integral part of superman- Hope, and the fact he looks after as many people as possible. No matter the situation, he wants to help. This is my favourite superman scene ever, it actually brought a tear to my eye at how touching it is:

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
So now any moment that could use humour will just be a scene of intense staring into the camera/at nothing as the music gets louder.

Yeah, that won't get old any time soon. Oh well, didn't have high hopes for t these movies anyway.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
So while Marvel is going for the silver/bronze age of comics, DC seems set to go for the Dark Age of comics?

They do remember what happened to all that right?

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Its official people, satire is dead. Warner Bros killed it.

The concept of a No Jokes rule is seriously something even the Onion would think is too on-the-nose.

List

Sep 29, 2013
If this is really true and becomes a thing, they're gonna have a rough time making Flash's movie (and maybe green lantern's) if they plan to make a justice league to counter marvel's avengers...

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
It's probably a good idea for them to avoid the action-comedy route, they're not going to beat Marvel by copying them. That said, if they take 'no jokes' literally, that's a bad idea. Marvel makes plenty of jokes, but they clearly don't have a 'no seriousness' rule. Brief moments of levity add contrast and respite to serious stuff.

Of course, this is minor quibbling, ignoring the more relevant fact that jokes or no, Warner Bros. is actually going to have to pull off a decent superhero movie, which I think everyone's skeptical about at this point.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
NO JOKES! Yea that's right kids, adults don't like to laugh because we're all serious about stuff! Right?

RIGHT?

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
It's almost like they don't want to succeed.

To differentiate themselves from Marvel, they need to be capable of operating at the same level as Marvel first. Given that they've shelved Nolan's Batman, we only have Man of Steel to work with, and let's just say that it's not serious competition.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
So in an attempt to be more mature than Marvel, they ironically appear to be more childish.

I really hope this is just a rumor.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Oh, I hope they are kidding.

I mean Superman looks like some who just heard his name called in class, Batman looks like he is up past his bedtime, and apparently Wonder Woman got lost in Xena Warrior Princess.

I am a huge Marvel fan, especially because of their movies, but I want DC to challenge them. Man of Steel, a movie I admit to not having seen, seems to have jumped into the 'grim-dark' area of comics. The Dark Knight trilogy were very well done, except for Bane. Given the pace that Marvel is going for, DC is struggling to keep up.

Humour works well in gritty movies, but it has to be well placed.