Rumor: Windows 8 Will Play Xbox 360 Games

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Nice idea, but I'm not budging from 7. Especially not with that horrid phone desktop they've got going on there. Probably interchangable but I doubt a new OS this soon will be worth the price they'll ask for it.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Hmm... I could see this working, though I'd think they would be better off having XBL players be able to play between the two platforms. If it is released around late 2012, then that'll likely be about the time that the next Xbox system is released. That way Microsoft can continue to make money on 360 games, not have to worry so much about making the nextbox backwards compatible, get people to upgrade to the (in my opinion awful looking) windows 8, and get a larger user base to introduce to their games. Of course, it's doubtful it's true in my mind.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
if this happens, i would be happy but not as happy as i would be if they brought steam to 360. they still charge full price (australian) for years old games on their digital distribution service, just not worth it.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
If you want to play Xbox 360 games on your PC at the moment, then you have to jump through all kinds of hoops involving emulators and such, and that's not exactly an idea solution. But according to insider sources, when the new version of Windows arrives, all that will change.
Ermm... I'm 100% sure that there are no Xbox 360 emulators out there. I mean, even PS2 emulation is still pretty bad. My friends gaming PC started chugging a little when we tried to play MGS 3 on it, though it's not exactly top of the line.

The lack of an actual emulator does mean it is really not an ideal solution.

OT: Well, if they are going to let you play xbox PC's, and then not allow crossplay, that is just stupid.

night_chrono

Mar 13, 2008
Not sold on windows 8 yet.

If it was a $30 "upgrade" like Lion is, I would do it, but I am not buying another $200 OS before I have even fully ditched XP.

For those wondering why I still use XP it's because where I work is almost exclusively XP, so I have a spare hard drive for my laptop with windows XP loaded in case of compatibility issues.

Mr Jack

Sep 10, 2008
While this is a cool idea, my one concern is that it will prevent some titles having a proper PC version made. Why bother, just play the Xbox one right?

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
Littleman64 said:
Am I the only one who is feeling comfy with Windows 7 right now? It has only been two years since Windows 7 released. Isn't there usually a 4-5 year gap?
Pssh I'm still using xp pro lol

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
This would be nice but I would like to know the sys reqs for it. If it just emulates the 360 then you'll need a hexacore cpu with top of the line gpus in sli mode. If it somehow runs them natively would we just need specs on par or better than the 360. So many questions for something that's possibly not true

TheModWolf

Nov 19, 2009
If this means I can finally justify getting my own copy of reach instead of mooching off my best mate then I am so sold.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I've always wonder why Microsoft doesn't introduce one online service for all its games (be it console or PC).

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
I call bullshit. No way MS will phase out the Xbox.
They won't be phasing it out. What it will do is sell there Windows 8 and allow for more software sales. Gaming PCs still cost way more than an Xbox. I know I will probably want to get rid of my 360 to get Windows 8. I just hope they do it well and maybe let you scale the graphics up to higher PC like resolutions. They also need to let you play with people on the 360, that is a must.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Excellent, if it turns out that it will play the disc, then I'll have even more reason to not own an Xbox.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Think about it, they release W8 with X360 compatibility, and then release a new console(X720?) that dosen't offer backwards compatibility.

They sell both products, everyone can see it's part of a scam and not a true "feature", but nobody will mind, since everyone will upgrade their Windows and their Xbox anyway.

Tripple Win? I lost count.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I like that idea, I mean owning a PS3 + a computer with Windows 8 makes more sense than PS3 + Xbox.