Rumor: Xbox 360 Slim in Production

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
Jamash said:
Tom Goldman said:
Over on Xbox 360 USB storage support [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/18/ben-heck-ponders-xbox-360-slim-motherboard-memory-unit-support/]. Microsoft may be moving away from memory units completely with the Xbox 360 slim (again, if it's even real).
This make sense if this rumoured photo of the 360 Slim is to be believed.

Apart from it's smaller size, the most obvious features are 3 USB ports but no MU slot or apparent place for an external X-Box 360 HDD.

The extra USB port on the front and the recent announcement of USB storage support seems to address this problem somewhat, IF this photo is genuine.
What an ugly piece of hardware.

Seriously that looks... words fail me, it is the worst looking console (well console remake) I have ever seen.

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
Screw that! that's a pussy xbox!
I'm staying with my<spoiler=big...black...manly>xbox 360 elite!
You were expecting something else weren't you?....perv.
I'm not even black o_O
Besides, i doubt the reduced size is going to do wonders for heat dissipation, and considering I'm on my 3rd elite, I'd rather not take the chance :/

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
I really don't see the point of a "Slim" 360. Honestly, the massive PS3 is one thing, but the 360 is relatively light. Plus the ones I've seen in pictures are uuuuugly.
EDIT: I just looked at the Chinese website, and my meager training in Chinese has not paid off.
I did sort of understand some guy who was talking about CoD6 though.

Dec 14, 2009
ma55ter_fett said:
Jamash said:
Tom Goldman said:
Over on Xbox 360 USB storage support [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/18/ben-heck-ponders-xbox-360-slim-motherboard-memory-unit-support/]. Microsoft may be moving away from memory units completely with the Xbox 360 slim (again, if it's even real).

Apart from it's smaller size, the most obvious features are 3 USB ports but no MU slot or apparent place for an external X-Box 360 HDD.

The extra USB port on the front and the recent announcement of USB storage support seems to address this problem somewhat, IF this photo is genuine.
What an ugly piece of hardware.

Seriously that looks... words fail me, it is the worst looking console (well console remake) I have ever seen.
Why do I get the impression that if Apple were to ever make a console, it would looks like that piece of uninspired crap.

Mar 26, 2008
Jamash said:
Tom Goldman said:

It's lost it's beautiful hourglass figure!

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Aura Guardian said:
If true...it better have built in Wi-Fi.
I hope not.

In my opinion, Wi-Fi is a bit of a fad, and in my house I've got my 360 and PC hooked up with a long Ethernet cable, since it's a lot faster and much more stable than wireless, plus it's more secure.

In my experience, my wireless signal kept fluctuating from 48Mbps to 0.5Mbps, which isn't ideal for gaming. Now that I've gone back to wired it's 100Mbps all the time.

I also hate the idea of my console having an internal wireless device which I would never use or be able to disable (easily).

I like the way it is at the moment, with an optional, external wireless adapter for those who wish to use it.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
ark123 said:
What a revolutionary idea.
Does it blow up in half the time too?
With half the calories even. You don't even need 3 lights, only 1.5!

If they want to do something frakking awesome to pull more people to the 360, they should hire that guy who made the 360 laptop [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92901-Modder-Creates-New-Xbox-360-Laptop].

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Jamash said:
Aura Guardian said:
If true...it better have built in Wi-Fi.
I hope not.

In my opinion, Wi-Fi is a bit of a fad, and in my house I've got my 360 and PC hooked up with a long Ethernet cable, since it's a lot faster and much more stable than wireless, plus it's more secure.

In my experience, my wireless signal kept fluctuating from 48Mbps to 0.5Mbps, which isn't ideal for gaming. Now that I've gone back to wired it's 100Mbps all the time.

I also hate the idea of my console having an internal wireless device which I would never use or be able to disable (easily).

I like the way it is at the moment, with an optional, external wireless adapter for those who wish to use it.
My room is very far from my modem. So I had to buy the Wi-Fi adapter which was $99.99 "well spent" since I barely use the system. Good thing the Wii has Wi-fi

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
price cut? isnt it already $199? I hope this doesnt shake things up too much in terms of war between PS3 and Xbox. I love my ps3 more than my 360, i dont wanna see it go the Dreamcast way.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Jamash said:
Tom Goldman said:

Thats ugglier than the PS3 slim. Jesus, who the fuck is in charge of aesthetics?
all of this only matters if that pic is legit.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
So they'll put the effort in to make a console that doesn't have such a high failure rate? kinda like what they should have done from the start? My 360 has only broken once. No other product would allow me to be so happy that it has only broken once.
QFT. Too bad my friend and I (we share X360s) are on our 4th X360. Well, technically, he's on the 4th. I cut my losses, got out of that viscous cycle and defected to the PS3 :p

Cool stuff, if true. Price cuts are always good.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
soapyshooter said:
Jamash said:
Tom Goldman said:

Thats ugglier than the PS3 slim. Jesus, who the fuck is in charge of aesthetics?
all of this only matters if that pic is legit.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was just a dev kit or a prototype. I know for a fact that sometimes dev kits can look nothing like the actual console. For example, the PSP dev kit is basically a very small desktop computer with a full size DVD drive. You have a big thick cable coming out of it connecting it to a handheld PSP unit.

Some 360 dev kits are purely run on emulation and are essentially big beige boxes like computers of old... So don't take that picture too seriously. If it is indeed what Microsoft intends to sell to consumers, then I'll definitely agree that it does look like a piece of shit.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Hey, I have an idea, why not make it bigger and put more fans in the thing? PC gamers like me don't mind that sort of thing at all.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
John Funk said:
In all fairness to the Xbox 360, the new Elites have a much, MUCH better RROD rate. Which is good because it was really inexcusable early on.
He has a point. I have had one regular Xbox which burnt out around 9 months and I have had this elite and it is still silent and it is 1yr and 5 months.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Maybe this might get people to actually buy 360s again because I've seen a ton of them just sitting on the shelves in several stores. But why would Microsoft want to sell a slimmed down version of the 360? I don't really see the point in this, if it will actually happen.

Always_Remain

Nov 23, 2009
I literally have no idea what the hell people are talking about when they are like "I'm on my 5th Xbox" etc. I have had an original Xbox 360 since it's came out (course I need a new one beacause I just got a HDTV and a 50 dollar HDMI cable that I can't use) and I only got the ring once. Took like a month to repair. Boo hoo. Besides that I have had no problems with it, it's always worked great. What am I, The Chosen One? I have no idea where all the Xbox hate comes from.