Russian Media Suggests Modern Warfare 2 Trained Terrorists

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
who was it that called it? i dont remember... but that guy REALLY fucking called it when he said "you think the media will blame MW2 for the terrorist attack"?

forsinain42

Oct 14, 2009
It's all true I tell you! Video games teach you stuff! Like thanks to Burnout I can now race a F1 car in record time round silvers... Oh wait, my mistake. No. This is Bullshit. Firing a gun in a game vs blowing yourself up. Go go go Russian media!

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Should have trained them on Medal of Honor; they'd have probably ended up shooting themselves...

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Activision's response should be interesting.

"We at Activision wholeheartedly deny that MW2 could be used to train terrorists. MW2 is intended purely for entertainment, because massacring dozens of unarmed, screaming civilians is... um... fun..."

It's a silly story, but that doesn't mean Activision don't deserve to take flack for that cheap, stupid, sensationalist level.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Right, I've had enough. I now declare that it is International Blame Everything Day because no one ever talks about the evil spread by other devices/objects/events.

I found this sinister device today called a computer mouse; using it CLEARLY gives you fungus infections, arthritis, and diabetes IMMEDIATELY. WARN THE PRESS, WE HAVE AN EPIDEMIC ON OUR HANDS! -_-'

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Wasn't it just one guy who blew himself up, not a whole armed squad going in and killing everybody?

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
To be fair, Modern Warfare 2 might very well have provided the same level of "training" that any Hollywood film depicting the atrocities of terrorists does - it can give potential terrorists some ideas. But so can the internet, the nightly news, actual terrorist training camps (where they don't just give you ideas for horrible things to do, they teach you to do them!), etc.

Blaming school shootings/terrorist bombings/you name it on videogames is just stupid - video games can certainly be a training tool for our armed forces (or others), but any simulation that doesn't involve the player actively moving about and aiming real bloody weapons is going to be highly limited in what it can actually "teach". In other words, you can instill a certain mindset and response pattern in combat scenarios, but you can't impart the actual skills one needs to fire a gun through an FPS, it's nothing at all like that. It's starting to really get old that the media and various stupid old people can't seem to grasp that playing video games doesn't make you better at shooting people - practicing shooting people makes you better at shooting people.

Oirish_Martin

Nov 21, 2007
Numachuka said:
Pressing a button on a game = training people to plant explosives.

Of corse!
On the downside, with all that button pressing they can fire the detonator very proficiently.

Bang25

Dec 6, 2010
"With all of the people "downloading, playing, and watching" Modern Warfare 2, the report suggests that terrorists could be training on these types of games too."

Bull. Shit. Playing a game like Modern Warfare 2 is NOTHING like actually firing a gun at someone in real combat. It might LOOK like it, but it's NOT THE SAME! Playing Call of Duty is the equivelant of playing Cops and Robbers.... in the future.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Russian Medis Suggests Modern Warfare 2 Trained Terrorists Jumps The Shark.

Simply embarassing what kind of codswallop consistently continues to cruise through into people's TVs.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Really? Well, that's kinda weird, I never saw any of our media outlets even reference...

Wait... Russia Today?

Oh. Well, that explains it.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
[HEADING=2]I fucking called it to several people[/HEADING]

I knew they would establish a connection to it. Easy scapegoat. Damn you Russia!
Same here, I literally said out loud to myself that their media outlets would pin the blame on that bloody level and say it was Modern Warfare 2's fault that this sad event happened.

Cornelius Wilson

Jan 7, 2011
Are you serious? MW2 helped trained terrorists. lol, if that's the case I don't want to know what will happen when Modern Warfare 3 comes out http://mwarfare3.com

Oirish_Martin

Nov 21, 2007
Cornelius Wilson said:
Are you serious? MW2 helped trained terrorists. lol, if that's the case I don't want to know what will happen when Modern Warfare 3 comes out http://mwarfare3.com
Well, it was about black ops which means the next set of terrorists will be commando level OMG