S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced, Could Ambush Multiple Platforms

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Thedayrecker said:
Sequel to the trilogy? Is this sentence even possible?
They said on I think Kotaku that the first three all put together basically made S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 1, and this is a sequel to that.

OT: I don't mean to be a jerk or anything, but they would really need to dumb this game down for the typical FPS player, especially on 360, or it will not do well at all. It's not like Halo where you can go running in shooting at everything and expect to live more than 2 seconds... But this is good new since I love the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Psychosocial said:
ultimateownage said:
Psychosocial said:
ultimateownage said:
Meh, I didn't like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
We get it, you don't like anything but Fallout, and you're not positive to the thought of anything but Fallout. But it's getting kinda annoying now, actually.

OT; I'm a little skeptical to the console release thingy, because it's fairly common knowledge that studios that are from former Soviet countries develop good games but good games in need of help from modding communities, and we all know what the modding community on consoles look like...
Oh, I didn't like Fallout either.
Then what's the deal with the avatar and title?
Just 'cause I dislike the game doesn't mean I disliked the game's theme, style and characters.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Bored Tomatoe said:
YAY! STALKER! Please don't have the porting make the PC version suck...
This is my main fear.

I will NEVER buy another GSC game again if the following are present in the next installment of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

- Checkpoint based save system (I HATE those!!!!!!1!1!!!111!!)
- Little to no graphics options for customization
- Arrow navigated menues ---> Annoying as hell!
- shorter/dumbed down story
- less capable AI than in previous games
- Smaller, less interactive world

Having said that, I look forward to seeing what GSC can turn out. I am hoping that they will not develop the next S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game on a console and port it to a PC, but rather the other way around. There is still so much potential for this franchise, and it has been successful enough so far. If successful, a sequal could skyrocket the franchise to the top of the charts. If they mess it up, there is a long way to fall.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
A sequel would be great, and a multi-platform one would be even better. My PC can barely handle Call of Pripyat without exploding into lethal monitor shards.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
tsb247 said:
Bored Tomatoe said:
This is my main fear.

I will NEVER buy another GSC game again if the following are present in the next installment of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Don't forget telling you the controls every three nanoseconds-

"Enter to hijack vehicle, Space to reload, Left click to fire..." I KNOW, I SET THEM MYSELF

I'm worried that releasing a console version will end up ruining the game.

And we'll end up with loads of console gamers playing the dumbed down version, then complaining about the game not being that good (thanks to the dumbing down)/too hard.
Anah said:
Somewhat less friendly? Fallout 3 is a light hearted comedy in comparison to the grit that S.T.A.L.K.E.R SC throws at ya'. Now, this Taffer could go into more detail, but that might result in an unnecessary wall of text slapping folks in the face and a potential lynching of said Taffer.
Fallout 3 is a lighthearted comedy.

Well, nearly.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
This could be bad, very, very bad.

I really hope they dont feel the need to dumb it down for the console crowed. If they do dumb it down, the PC fans will reject them, the console crowed will love them, GSC sees that they got hell of a lot more money from consoles, abandons PC gamers. We the elite will then shed a tear for another fallen hero.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Sebenko said:
tsb247 said:
Bored Tomatoe said:
This is my main fear.

- The game reminds you of the controls with annoying pop-ups every three nanoseconds
Don't forget telling you the controls every three nanoseconds-

"Enter to hijack vehicle, Space to reload, Left click to fire..." I KNOW, I SET THEM MYSELF

I'm worried that releasing a console version will end up ruining the game.

And we'll end up with loads of console gamers playing the dumbed down version, then complaining about the game not being that good (thanks to the dumbing down)/too hard.
There, I fixed it. You're right. I forgot about that annoying console port feature that seems to find its way onto so many bad ports. I fear they will try and turn this game into something that the typical FPS fan would like, and that thought scares me - a lot.

ReSpawn

Feb 24, 2009
tsb247 said:
wat

Oh, you mean a system where you can only save at certain points - not one that autosaves at reasonably placed intervals in addition to normal "anywhere goes" saving.

Gotcha.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
ultimateownage said:
Psychosocial said:
ultimateownage said:
Psychosocial said:
ultimateownage said:
Meh, I didn't like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
We get it, you don't like anything but Fallout, and you're not positive to the thought of anything but Fallout. But it's getting kinda annoying now, actually.

OT; I'm a little skeptical to the console release thingy, because it's fairly common knowledge that studios that are from former Soviet countries develop good games but good games in need of help from modding communities, and we all know what the modding community on consoles look like...
Oh, I didn't like Fallout either.
Then what's the deal with the avatar and title?
Just 'cause I dislike the game doesn't mean I disliked the game's theme, style and characters.
so basically you love everything about the game except the Game. nice.

OT: never played the other S.T.Alker (cant be botheered to write it right) but they look pretty good so i'll watch this from a nearby bush.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Judgement101 said:
Thedayrecker said:
Sequel to the trilogy? Is this sentence even possible?
Its the Sequilogy!
Isn't it a Saga?
Anah said:
2012 will be a good year.

Having said that:

The series is sort of like Fallout 3, but somewhat less friendly to players, other than the guitar playing.
Somewhat less friendly? Fallout 3 is a light hearted comedy in comparison to the grit that S.T.A.L.K.E.R SC throws at ya'. Now, this Taffer could go into more detail, but that might result in an unnecessary wall of text slapping folks in the face and a potential lynching of said Taffer.

*fangirl growl*
In a side by side comparison of Fallout and S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Fallout is a fairy tale land with rainbows coming out of everywhere compared to walking out of the first base in S.T.A.L.K.E.R and getting raped by three patrolling army folks.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Hope they don't ditch features from PC just to make the game easier to port to consoles (high-def resolutions, textures).

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
tsb247 said:
There, I fixed it. You're right. I forgot about that annoying console port feature that seems to find its way onto so many bad ports. I fear they will try and turn this game into something that the typical FPS fan would like, and that thought scares me - a lot.
A quick visit to the GSC forums reveals similar feelings for the Stalker community- the thread officially announcing Stalker 2 is six pages of worry about the game going multi-platform.

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
The Lost Big Boss said:
In a side by side comparison of Fallout and S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Fallout is a fairy tale land with rainbows coming out of everywhere compared to walking out of the first base in S.T.A.L.K.E.R and getting raped by three patrolling army folks.
Marry me.

... well. No. Don't.

That was me agreeing very profoundly.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
The Lost Big Boss said:
But, on the other hand, in the original stalker game you can clean out the 9-12 well equipt military soldiers under the bridge in cordon with nothing but a pistol. wohoo instant-kill headshots.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
gonzo20 said:
please please please do not add any retarded "glue to the wall" cover system! i swear to god if those guys dumb it down or make the mutants any easier, i will go to ukrain and force them to make it harder
As long as they keep it in first person, and don't use too much glue with it, I think a cover system could be really awesome in the game. The problem with cover systems is exactly when they glue you too strongly to the wall, making it hard to get out of. Rainbow Six Vegas' cover system felt good, but it's not the kind of cover system I want to see in a game like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., it should be something that just lets you peek around and over walls (and maybe keep your head behind cover in those situations where crouching just isn't low enough to protect your vitals), enable you to surpress enemies with blind fire (not accurate, just to keep the enemy at bay), and popping in and out of cover to make the accurate shots that count. Yeah, I'd want that.

SenisterDenister

Mar 19, 2010
Guys, Fallout and Fallout 2 were just as grimdark as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The third is for a third grade reading and comprehension level, but trust me when I say that the other games are not lacking in grittiness and hopelessness.

As for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 being multiplatform.... I feel bad about it. I really do, kind of like with how Metro 2033 had potential but somehow just squandered every bit of it, like the way the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series never did [squander their potential].

The easiest setting needs to be harder than the current Master setting, because anyone that plays it under Master anyway is a complete puss. I am curious how they [GSC] will be able to get A-Life onto a console without taxing the system too heavily since that system itself is a complete regional dynamic AI.

I want to have hope, but as long as its multiplatform that only means gameplay will be "streamlined" (dumbed down) and it will lose depth in not only story but would end up having to limit free play in order to keep the interest of a console audience.

EDIT:
The game's gunplay is fine, anyone that doesn't like it just can't get past the learning curve because of the fact that the guns use real bullet physics.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Sebenko said:
tsb247 said:
A quick visit to the GSC forums reveals similar feelings for the Stalker community- the thread officially announcing Stalker 2 is six pages of worry about the game going multi-platform.
I should probably head over there and see what is being said. I rarely visit those forums since they seem to take forever to load up on my PC for some reason.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
This isn't good. They better not dumb it down and turn it into a generic shooter with limited exploration and hand holding throughout the entire game. Sadly this has happened to Crysis already.