S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced, Could Ambush Multiple Platforms

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Kollega said:
SenisterDenister said:
First of, they're Ukrainian, not Russian.
In that particular case, i wasn't speaking of developers' country. I meant that it's an equivalent of DNF in the Russian market.

Secondly, the game would have been released by 2008 whether or not THQ would have interfered...
The fact that STALKER was infamous for being delayed still stands, i was just pointing that out. I don't really keep an eye on what people at GSC say, you understand...
Dunno, the constant release delays may have been the result of STALKER being GSC's first major title. Remember all the features they announced but didn't include in the game? I'm sure it would have been released at some point, and it probably would have been even better.

Mr. McFuzzers

Jun 7, 2010
I would love to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on one of my consoles and I thought that Fallout 3 was a little to easy so i'm looking foward to this.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Kollega said:
Sebenko said:
But we "the elite" don't want you to have it (cake or Stalker) because console versions always end up dumbing down the PC version. Always. Seriously. This is, of course, not good for the image of console gamers in the eyes of Pc gamers.
I am a PC gamer, always was, and i feel the need to ask you to do one simple thing: go jump off a bridge. You are a disgrace to all of us, console or PC owners. Can't we all just get along, without that unneccesary elitism?
Wow, combine some humour with some legitimate worries about my favourite FPS getting dumbed down, and that's the response?

It's not like I put "the elite" in quotation marks for shits n' giggles.

Kelethor said:
Wall o' text snip
No, what I'm saying is that PC games that go multiplatform end up dumbing down. It has nothing to do with console gamer's "pea sized brain". Console games always end up dumbing down. Maybe it's the perception of console devs, maybe the publishers being dicks, or maybe the lack of buttons to do stuff with.

Also, use paragraphs. I couldn't read the second half of your post, so I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Mornelithe said:
Kelethor said:
So what your saying is, Console players deserve none of the fantastic games made for PC (Half life, Dragon Age, ETC) Because our pee sized brains and inability to comprehend anything more complex than "Use gun on Man" would make developers cringe at the idea of giving both a console gamer and a PC gamer the same game. This, needs to change. because if it doesn't developers will see that PC gamers hate the dumbed down version of the game, but the console fans are perfectly fine with it (some of us, IE me, will say that we don't need a dumbed down or lesser version of the game, but were the minority so who cares) and start developing worse games solely for the console. that way, they spend less time making a quality product, and more time raking in profits for console exclusive games. then, we both lose. Console gamers lose because were getting a poor quality version of the game, while the PC gamers get nothing at all. is that really what you want?
I realize the person you're respoding to, kinda provoked your response. But, I'll say no, it's not about console players brains, or intelligence. Has absolutely nothing to do with the people at all. Has everything to do with what's inside the console itself. Hardware-wise, SoC, CS and CoP would not have been the same games as what came to PC. I definitely fear a general dumbing down of the game also, but I hope that GSC utilizes great scaling.

That having been said, the other thing I fear, is that GSC will stop innovating in areas that require high-end processing power. Sure, not everyone gets to experience some of those effects, but...some do, and technology is always improving. So, to cop-out simply to hit a bigger audience while dulling down the experience... dunno, I just hope they don't follow suit with Crytek (and yes, Crytek cop'd out, not because they made a console version, but because they specifically chose to cut things only PC's would be able to handle, out of Crysis 2).

You raise a good point. Im glad not everyone thinks that the console gamer's world is a land filled with barbaric idiots, clubbing away at one another with fanboy-ish glee. that being said, i'm saddened to hear that it's a tech problem. you'd think that after dropping nearly 300 dollars for a PS3 or and Xbox 360, id get a copy of Stalker that isn't composed of dumbed down game-play, poor graphics and shoddy AI.

SenisterDenister

Mar 19, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
All I can. My adequate gaming rig couldn't take the highest settings on the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game whilst it ran other games just flawlessly.

Either way, I am hoping they will release this for the XBOX360 as well. It would be epic to experience this game on a HDTV level!
And in between actual conversation we see the true face of a console player pop its head up to verify our fears.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
I hope this next one will be both scarier and more difficult than the last two games of the trilogy. The second one wasn't easy at all, but it also wasn't scary. And the third one was neither challenging nor scary. I hope they get back on track and really start fu*king with my head again. I want to once again feel the utter terror of The Zone.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Fuck stalker and fuck the console version even more, where the hell is my next Cossack or HoAE?

There need to be more fantasy rts games where the dark lord of the undead shows up with an M1A2 Abrams tank, we have more then enough post apocalyptic fps games already.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Mornelithe said:
Mr Companion said:
I hope this next one will be both scarier and more difficult than the last two games of the trilogy. The second one wasn't easy at all, but it also wasn't scary. And the third one was neither challenging nor scary. I hope they get back on track and really start fu*king with my head again. I want to once again feel the utter terror of The Zone.
Install the SMRTER mod for Call of Pripyat. That should increase the difficulty a tad ;)
I might do just that. Thanks for the advice.

Sunstrike

Mar 29, 2010
As long as the multiplatform doesn't degrade the overall quality of the game (AKA make it easier) you guys have just officially made my day.

The STALKER games, for all their faults and steep learning curves are some of the most immersive and fun games I've ever played.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
While the idea of a console port tnds to give people the image of a shoddy port over to the Pc, I think if anything is going to be shoddy it will be the console version. I say say this not out of elitism but logic, GSC have always made PC games, its what they know and what they are comfortable with. Its stands to reason they will create the template for the PC version first then see what can be transfered into the console version, rather than omit those features entirely.

The main problem I see with this is hardware. By 2012 current consoles will have reached the end of their lifespan, I doubt wether Call Of Pripyat could run on a current console without major scaling back, and GSC are know for pushing the graphical tech. Also, if we are getting x-box 640 and Ps4 in say 2013, then they will have designed the game for an obselete console (Obselete in terms of how publishers and shareholders think)

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
<3 STALKER. CoP runs and plays wonderfully, even on my X1600. They really got their engine right after the buggy mess that was SoC and CS.

That said, I hope for the best, but at the same time I'd rather not - I don't want to see my expectations crushed again like it happend with SoC. So much was cut from that game :\

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
The Lost Big Boss said:
compared to walking out of the first base in S.T.A.L.K.E.R and getting raped by three patrolling army folks.
I know what you meant there, but for a moment I imagined you meant it literally and I laughed... man I should take a break now.

OP: more S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is always fine with me as long as they keep making them good - and perhaps less buggy this time, guys?