"Sad Affleck" Meme Surfaces Following Negative Batman Vs. Superman Reviews

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
GestaltEsper said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
Wow lots of love for most of the actors but none for Jesse Eisenbergs layered performance as Johnny Depp as Michael Jackson as Willy Wonka as Lex Luthor?

Go fig
I will say this about Jesse: If Marvel ever does a Murderworld story in the MCU, he needs to be Arcade.
That's exactly what I told my friend who went to see the film. He's even got the hair for it. It really makes you wonder if the writer's research team decided to slip in the wrong info on a well known character just to see what would happen.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I expected an OK-ish film, but with Ben Affleck as the weakest link. I was 100% wrong.

The movie was outright bad. The pacing problems from Man of Steel are back in full force, the script makes almost no sense and is riddled with holes, character motivations were erratic, Lex Luthor was so badly miscast and horribly written that it's an insult, etc. etc.

On the other hand Affleck was pretty damn good as Batman, I'm genuinely interested in a potential solo film from him. As long as they don't let Snyder anywhere near it.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Man I feel so bad for Ben...I've heard he did a great job at acting, its just the terrible script that let it down...

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Jandau said:
I expected an OK-ish film, but with Ben Affleck as the weakest link. I was 100% wrong.

The movie was outright bad. The pacing problems from Man of Steel are back in full force, the script makes almost no sense and is riddled with holes, character motivations were erratic, Lex Luthor was so badly miscast and horribly written that it's an insult, etc. etc.

On the other hand Affleck was pretty damn good as Batman, I'm genuinely interested in a potential solo film from him. As long as they don't let Snyder anywhere near it.
This pretty much sums up my feelings on it. Batfleck was the least smelly thing in a giant pile of nonsense. Especially Luthor, who I still cannot ind a single person who saw the movie and can explain what any of his motivations were. There are such gaping holes in the plot that whole scenes still make no sense whatsoever. I spent the whole film going, "Why is ANYONE doing what they are doing!?!?!"

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
The Enquirer said:
From what I heard, even from a good chunk of the bad reviews, he was apparently one of the best things about it, which is really ironic considering the absolute shit storm people threw over him being Batman.
Amir Kondori said:
He was a good Batman, and all those people who said he would suck were wrong.
It's worth considering that Michael Keaton was a similarly controversial casting choice who was praised upon the actual release of the movie.

(I don't actually have a point here; it's just an interesting coincidence.)

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
I always saw the whole Batfleck freak-out as a bit a nontroversy. Anyone with a half a brain and had seen Argo and Gone Girl thought of it as a pretty good choice as opposed to remembering films from well over a decade ago. I'm really not sure how much of initial fallout was just people doing it for laughs.

LonePunman

Jan 3, 2016
Ben Affleck doesn't have anything to prove - he's shown that he's a fantastic writer, director, and actor. Coincidentally, the only movies of his that seem to be successful are the ones in which he writes, directs, and act.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I have to admit. This meme made me laugh, and then it brought out a tear from my eye.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I can genuinely sympathise with people like Ben Affleck when they've worked hard over a long period of time to produce something they feel proud of, only for everyone to laugh at how rubbish the whole thing is. At the same time though, it does fascinate me how a big movie can possibly be bad in the first place. With hundreds of millions of dollars on the line, you'd think producers, directors and writers would pore over every last bit of the script until you had something that would certifiably be un-bad. Think Disney (I'm referring exclusively to the animation department here) and the incredible amount of caution and time that must go into making sure their stories work to some standard. Disney still make gaffs or lack lustre movies, but rarely ever produce a truly bad, big budget new film.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Quantum Glass said:
The Enquirer said:
From what I heard, even from a good chunk of the bad reviews, he was apparently one of the best things about it, which is really ironic considering the absolute shit storm people threw over him being Batman.
Amir Kondori said:
He was a good Batman, and all those people who said he would suck were wrong.
It's worth considering that Michael Keaton was a similarly controversial casting choice who was praised upon the actual release of the movie.

(I don't actually have a point here; it's just an interesting coincidence.)
It is not really a coincidence, it is a fact of fan reactions. Make a decision that can be seen at least a little bit out of the norm and people will complain about it, even before they see it pan out.

That is as much a coincidence as diving into two different rivers, and being surprised about getting wet...

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Annnndddd... Absolutely no love for Jesse as Lex? I really liked him too... And yeah, perhaps his entire written character was not Lex Luthor, but honestly, maybe that's a good thing. Lex in the comics was cheesy as hell.

However I will say his motivations fell apart a lot at the end when

he summoned some more aliens apparently just because... He can? I thought he was hell-bent on getting one godlike alien OFF the earth or killing him. And he's gonna summon MORE down? WTF.