Saints Row IV Takes You "From the Crack House to the White House"

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Jamaicob5 said:
Bindal said:
if I want Drama in my Sandbox-Gangstergame, I got to GTA.
Exactly. I think that's what most people are missing. I wouldn't say I'm a huge Saints Row fan, I played II and "The Third," and I liked them both.

But sometimes it's fun to just do crazy shit that couldn't possibly ever happen. This is what I want to see in SR4.
Only thing I'm worried about is rushed development and/ or less customisation.

Captcha: How are you

Very fine, thank you Mr Captcha.
^These.

I'm hyped. Maybe I'll try to do a Saint's cosplay after all for NYCC (a guitar case would be easier to get than a dildo bat, not to mention wouldn't nearly as awkward to transport).

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Love it. Only thing I didn't like about SR3 was the length of the game and that many main story missions were just tutorials for the various events. If they fixed those two problems I'm going to have a lot of fun. I don't care about any seriousness in this game, all I want in this game is to have fun.
However, I do have a slight feeling that it might have been rushed but it's too early to judge that.

Immortal_Engines

Aug 6, 2010
Errr guys, its just a Saints Row 3 DLC repackaged as a full price game...

I mean look at it, same graphics, same engine, same city, same clothes, same everything, IT IS SR3, just with new content.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
Bindal said:
I mostly remember it being a mess of a port for PC and that your character was just a a-hole.
Besides, if I want Drama in my Sandbox-Gangstergame, I got to GTA. If I want to go bonkers, I got to the Saints. Mixing those... might work in a crossover?
GTA was never about serious drama until GTA IV and even then the game still exists in some sort of absurd parody world. Saints Row 2 had some very dark humour which I really enjoyed coupled with some good characterisation and engaging villains, The Third however seemed to amplify the sillier parts of Saints Row 2 while removing most of the really pitch black humour and while the good characterisation still sort of remains the engaging villains do not. Personally I really liked the fact that the main character was a complete psychopath in part two since it does fit in with the gameplay while the anti-hero of the third game kinda does not.

The PC port was utter shit though, ill give you that.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Immortal_Engines said:
They worked on that game basically the moment 3 came out and having the same graphics-style as the third game isn't a bad idea, either, as 3 had a very fitting style for "just go nuts" with it's bright colors.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Well, they apparently tossed all sense of reality out the window.

Awesome.

GTA V for some drama and cousin movie seeing.
SR 4 for, well, dicking around.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It looks just like the third one to me...I like the new S&M costume (that is new, isn't it?) and the Tex Avery ray. Hopefully we get the same depth as in SR2 though. Also, since they tried making a 3DS Saint's Row, I'm hoping this is a sign that Saint's Row IV will be brought onto the Wii U at some point. Fingers crossed!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
Some of you guys like this? It looks like garbage!
Looks like? No my dear boy, it is garbage!

Saints Row's charm is that it's completely off the deep end, forget nuance and subtlety, this is a video game and it's going to behave like one! The controls and game play have always been very good, on a technical level they hold together very well.

Number 3 needed a longer campaign, it just sort of ends abruptly, but I still loved it. I can pinpoint the exact moment too, fourth mission, standing in a helicopter looking out across a neon skyline (which is strikingly pretty), then you jump out of it, parachute onto a penthouse flat and the Kanye West starts.

I don't even like the record that plays, but the tone is so over the top and it fits so perfectly it's impossible to not be having fun at that point.

<youtube=Ttbt40V-Kfg>

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Looks very similar to the third game, but then Saints Row 2 looked very similar to the first one and look how that turned out.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
Genocidicles said:
Looks very similar to the third game, but then Saints Row 2 looked very similar to the first one and look how that turned out.
Hopefully they wont reuse Steelport, or at the very least make it more interesting.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
That looks so much over the top it can't even see Gangsters in Space from there. I love it already!

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
Ed130 said:
Cautiously optimistic.

Not enough for a day one purchase but enough that I'll consider buying it.
I'm kinda worried that they just took the previously planned DLC and added more stuff to it.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Love it, cant wait to get my hands on it. I found SR3 to be insanely enjoyable though I felt the expansion packs were a bit meh. Didn't think the storyline was too short but I did spend a lot of time doing every single side mission and activity.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
ksn0va said:
Ed130 said:
Cautiously optimistic.

Not enough for a day one purchase but enough that I'll consider buying it.
I'm kinda worried that they just took the previously planned DLC and added more stuff to it.
Hence why I'm not planning to get it day one.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Immortal_Engines said:

I mean look at it, same graphics, same engine, same city, same clothes, same everything, IT IS SR3, just with new content.
It actually was originally announced as an expansion pack called "Enter the Dominatrix" [http://www.webpronews.com/saints-row-the-third-expansion-cancelled-2012-06], but it got cancelled because they decided the scope and story was too big to fit in just a DLC.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Remember when this series used to be about brutal Gang warfare and not superpowers?
This is why I thought "Enter the Dominatrix" was cool as an expansion. VR/Alternate reality/whatever? Fine. Core title? I think I'm going to pass.
At least we still have GTA 5 to look forward to
If it's like GTA 4, I think I'll pray for Sleeping Dogs 2. Sleeping Dogs isn't great, but at this point, it's looking it by comparison.

If we are to take from the last iterations of both titles, Saints Row 4 will be batshit and shallow with the same graphical and technical flaws of the prior games. GTA V will be a dating simulator with badly controlled shooting scenes in a larger, shinier city.

Bindal said:
I mostly remember it being a mess of a port for PC and that your character was just a a-hole.
Which hasn't really changed in 3 and won't change in 4. The asshole bit, because I don't give a damn about PC ports.

ksn0va said:
You mean, just like they did?

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
It amuses me to see so many people bagging out the game for 'having the same graphics'... do we really need an new engine for every game? I mean you lot lap up Call of Duty: The Brownening every time they plop out a new one, and the AC series has done well with just making new content with the same engine... personally I can't wait for my crazyness.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Why did it have to be Deep Silver that bought Volition?!? Why!

Maybe I'll buy SR4, but not Riptide? Can't risk them making any more Dead Island sequels, though.

tkioz said:
It amuses me to see so many people bagging out the game for 'having the same graphics'... do we really need an new engine for every game? I mean you lot lap up Call of Duty: The Brownening every time they plop out a new one, and the AC series has done well with just making new content with the same engine... personally I can't wait for my crazyness.
Agreed entirely. Look at Battlefield 3: Simply having a new engine doesn't do you any good if the devs don't make use of it. Saints Row is where you go for fresh content on old tech.