Saints Row - Saints Low

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Sucks to be them, and "woke" lost meaning the moment it started becoming a "thing". Yet most of the AA and indie have no problem being edgy and politically incorrect (the right way) when needed. Hope it was worth it for Visceral, the top execs, or investors or whatever. They don't know shit, and have no business being in the game industry.
I am perfectly fine with it, could it have been better? Sure, but learning to live with disappointment is the new norm. And it's worth it for Volition at this point since Epic has created a system where games can be deem potential flops yet be bailed out as a loss header since 2 million sales is effectively 500ish spread across plattforms.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
am perfectly fine with it, could it have been better? Sure, but learning to live with disappointment is the new norm.
For you. I can handle disappointment as well, but I wasn't expecting much from this, because the writing was already all over the wall.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
What's funny is I think these characters could have been done well enough, if they had any sort of setup whatsoever. Instead of making them all friends in the begining, they could have made it a real come up story.

Maybe the Boss is part of Marshall who you fight the gangs in Santo Ileso in several missions that both serve to set up Marshall, the boss, AND the rival gangs. In these missions you get glimpses of the people who will become your friends later, for example you see Neenah driving for Los Panteros. Kevin holding parties. Eli doing...i dunno something.

Point is, one of the missions with Marshall goes sideways, and the boss learns that Marshall is only purging the gangs in order to push a new drug onto the street. The boss gets fired and forced out leaving them alone and broke. Here is where you as the player have to do some side hussles to build some rep and some cash. During these hussles you get in with some side people that start to respect you and want your help in running "business" thus you start to build a little crew. The main casts each gets betrayed in some fashion by their gang and end up falling in line with you which spurns you guys to make the saints and really push to start taking over the town beating Marshell to the punch in stomping the other gangs out until finally dealing with them.

The overall plot idea is sooooo FUCKING EASY it pains me that these dumb fuck writers can't pull a decent idea out of their ass while getting PAID for it.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
What's funny is I think these characters could have been done well enough, if they had any sort of setup whatsoever. Instead of making them all friends in the begining, they could have made it a real come up story.

Maybe the Boss is part of Marshall who you fight the gangs in Santo Ileso in several missions that both serve to set up Marshall, the boss, AND the rival gangs. In these missions you get glimpses of the people who will become your friends later, for example you see Neenah driving for Los Panteros. Kevin holding parties. Eli doing...i dunno something.

Point is, one of the missions with Marshall goes sideways, and the boss learns that Marshall is only purging the gangs in order to push a new drug onto the street. The boss gets fired and forced out leaving them alone and broke. Here is where you as the player have to do some side hussles to build some rep and some cash. During these hussles you get in with some side people that start to respect you and want your help in running "business" thus you start to build a little crew. The main casts each gets betrayed in some fashion by their gang and end up falling in line with you which spurns you guys to make the saints and really push to start taking over the town beating Marshell to the punch in stomping the other gangs out until finally dealing with them.

The overall plot idea is sooooo FUCKING EASY it pains me that these dumb fuck writers can't pull a decent idea out of their ass while getting PAID for it.
Basically what you described makes me think I might as well just replay Mafia 3 before ever touching this.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If he likes the game then he likes it there are no wrong reasons.
You obviously do not know my brother. I will tell you that it's not exactly gameplay related. I won't go any further than that. Thank you for the support though; much appreciated.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
You obviously not know my brother. I will tell you this that it's not exactly gameplay related. But I won't go any further than that. Thank you for the support though; much appreciated.
Is is because you spend the game as a Black Vietnam war vet killing KKK members, out of curiosity? Because the killing KKK dudes is right below killing Nazis on the "Guilt-free murder spree" list. Killing that one racist jerk in St. Denis in RDR2 over and over again is also high on that list.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is is because you spend the game as a Black Vietnam war vet killing KKK members, out of curiosity? Because the killing KKK dudes is right below killing Nazis on the "Guilt-free murder spree" list. Killing that one racist jerk in St. Denis in RDR2 over and over again is also high on that list.
Correct.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Mafia 3 is the best choice....if you're my older brother. Granted, he likes that game for the right and wrong reasons.
The story was done incredibly well, but it really needed more attention fleshing out the game design and some of the mechanics. It had a solid foundation but needed more time to get everything firing on all cylinders. At least the driving and melee/gun combat was a step above anything in GTA, at least aside from the physics.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

AJ's review. And to no one's surprise, he hates it lol
Honestly, do gamers even need AJ at this point to know when a game is bad? Rhetorical question, because I dropped his sorry ass years ago. Not trying to offend or upset you FS, but there is a reason why I unsubscribed from him in 2016. I know he's gotten better over the years, but I find other reviewers much more engaging, interesting, or pleasant.

Last edited:

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
Honestly, do gamers even need AJ at this point to know when a game is bad? Rhetorical question, because I dropped his sorry years ago. Not trying to offend or upset you FS, but there is a reason why I unsubscribed from him in 2016. I know he's gotten better over the years, but I find other reviewers much more engaging, interesting, or pleasant.
I think his skits are still funny.

My beef is that he has gotten incredibly lazy and beggy. Most of his reviews aee sit down discussions with his crew instead of edited and scripted reviews, and theae days he is more concerned with reviewing tv shows and movies which he is too much of a fense sitter to review genuinely.

However when he does drop a full review like this, i still enjoy them. I just wish he did more and didnt beg at the start of every video.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My beef is that he has gotten incredibly lazy and beggy.
That makes me want to watch him even less. The people I watch have the decency to thank their Patreon supporters at the end of the video and properly give credit. Even the ones that don't, never pull that shit off at all.

I think his skits are still funny.
Very subjective. Other than Wanna Play Zombie Game gag, his skits became one note or dragged on for way too long. Even if I found them funny, they're not the other 97% of the crappy review.

Most of his reviews aee sit down discussions with his crew instead of edited and scripted reviews, and theae days he is more concerned with reviewing tv shows and movies which he is too much of a fense sitter to review genuinely.
Part of the reason why I dropped AJ's sorry ass. This has actually been a problem with him since 2015 (though actually since 2009, but I was not subscribed to him until 2013, and actually tried to not go overboard too much) going in to 2016. Him brining on opinionated asshole "friends" (Other Joe is still a cool guy) of them constantly stating the obvious like they're geniuses or acting like their opinions the right answer, did nothing to help. Though went it got to that point, I had already dropped him long ago. Him changing the scripted format did not bother me, but once again, dropped before he started doing the change. It was constant, know-nothing-know-it-all constant confrontational attitude, and being a genuine dumb ass that got me less invested. A problem I noticed with a lot of reviewers from the AVGN clone days, or those who broke off from Channel Awesome. Most of them can't take criticism for shit and are jerks of different calibers. Some changed for the better, others didn't, but most of them I have no interests seeing ever again, even before the fallout.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
Did you just go on an Angey Rant about Angry Joe?

Sometimes i like watching him lose his mind. His Madden reviews have been gold lately.

You dont like him and thats fine. He does have his problems. But he isnt all bad and the cast of his shit has been pretty consistent.

Also the RE8 skit was funny.

Reactions: Gyrobot

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Did you just go on an Angey Rant about Angry Joe?
No. All I did was give a reason why I dropped him. A good reason.

Sometimes i like watching him lose his mind. His Madden reviews have been gold lately.
More power to you. While it can be fun seeing somebody lose their minds a little time, but it's pretty blase and I've seen it done more than the times at this point. Takes more than that for me.

You dont like him and thats fine. He does have his problems. But he isnt all bad and the cast of his shit has been pretty consistent.
Thank you. While he might not be as bad as he used to be, the damage was already done for me before he got better. It took a long while to get better. And like I said before, there are others I find either better, more engaging and insightful, or just has something of actual importance to say.