Say something nice about a game you hate

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
hanselthecaretaker said:
I don?t really hate any game, but I will say I find Halo overrated. It has a great multiplayer suite and decent AI but everything else is pretty underwhelming. I also never understood why the score is so highly regarded. I suppose it mostly boils down to personal taste.
To me Halo is a family game. My best memories are playing 4 way death battle with my cousins during family get-together, and co-op with my bro on Halo Reach.
As a series they're meh. As a potential memory generator they're damn good

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Don't hate them, just wonder why they squandered a good franchise: 3D GTAs. They got the choas of being chased down by a lot of police. Pity the controls are like moving throigh molasses

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
hanselthecaretaker said:
I don?t really hate any game, but I will say I find Halo overrated. It has a great multiplayer suite and decent AI but everything else is pretty underwhelming. I also never understood why the score is so highly regarded. I suppose it mostly boils down to personal taste.
Only the first halo had a good mystery story, the other campaigns sucked. It was a good game for lan parties and people who werent good with setting up computers.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
hanselthecaretaker said:
Halo is what comes to mind when "Overrated games" comes up. It basically feels like thery cribbed some of the designs from Aliens, threw in some high concept sci-fi like ringworlds and put a rather bog standard story and characters attached to it. As far as I can tell,it apparently was groundbreaking on XBOX and the mutiplayer is the real star of the show, but from a single player perspective it's pretty ok.

I was once told the novels are really good, but I don't know what he considered a good novel(I suspect our standards are different in that regard) and that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of the games if it's better to read the books instead.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Cosmic Star Heroine is a kinda bleh game with ok combat a story that legitimately had me laughing my ass off, and not when the game wanted me to laugh.

Its soundtrack kicks twelve kinds of ass though, particularly its main battle theme.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silent Hill: Homecoming is probably better than the pachinko machine.
I know its unpopular, but I liked Homecoming. Hell to me it was better than SH2 'cause at least something happened in it!
None of them compare to SH3 though
I rate them SH2 > SH 4 >SH1/SH3 > SH0 > SHH. Shattered Memories is barely a Silent Hill game. Haven't played Downpour.

If SH1 hadn't aged so horribly it would be undisputably better than SH3. SH3 is good but also weakened by the fact that it hinges on SH1's nonsense plot and the design is virtually the same as SH2, down to copy/pasting Brookhaven.

Again, I don't hate Homecoming but like every other lesser Silent Hill it's burdened by fanservice and a constant failure to live up or recapture the same story beats of secret guilt, redemption, etc. It even does the same twist SH2 did, only SH2 did it with more grace and melancholia.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon had nice map narration.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I know its unpopular, but I liked Homecoming. Hell to me it was better than SH2 'cause at least something happened in it!
I rate them SH2 > SH 4 >SH1/SH3 > SH0 > SHH. Shattered Memories is barely a Silent Hill game. Haven't played Downpour.

If SH1 hadn't aged so horribly it would be undisputably better than SH3. SH3 is good but also weakened by the fact that it hinges on SH1's nonsense plot and the design is virtually the same as SH2, down to copy/pasting Brookhaven.

Again, I don't hate Homecoming but like every other lesser Silent Hill it's burdened by fanservice and a constant failure to live up or recapture the same story beats of secret guilt, redemption, etc. It even does the same twist SH2 did, only SH2 did it with more grace and melancholia.
I guess for me I found SH2 to be very boring. I get what people mean when they say being lonely is a true nightmare, but there's a fine line between atmospheric loneliness and just having nothing happen.

Inazuma1

Professional Asshole
Legacy
Nov 18, 2009
Hell
leet_x1337 said:
Tekken 7 is not a great game. and being able to customize them just confuses the game's visual communication even more, making it even harder for new and experienced players to tell what's going on.
The customization in Tekken 7 sucks because it's very limited compared to T6 and Tag 2. Outside of the core gameplay refinements and improved netcode T7 is actually really half baked and disappointing compared to the prior 2 games. I'd almost argue it was rushed despite the 5 year gap between Tag2 and T7.

Silentpony said:
I guess for me I found SH2 to be very boring. I get what people mean when they say being lonely is a true nightmare, but there's a fine line between atmospheric loneliness and just having nothing happen.
Don't try to argue with Johnny about Silent Hill. He's an unrepetant fanboy of the series and probably wants to burn you at the stake for heresy against SH.

Anyway...
CoD somehow is still able to look and play halfway decent despite running on Quake 3 legacy code. But maybe that's just testament to John Carmack's genius as a programmer. I dunno.

Um, The Dead Space series has interesting weapons and the dismemberment system was a unique way of fighting the monsters you encounter.

Jan 27, 2011
erttheking said:
Cosmic Star Heroine is a kinda bleh game with ok combat a story that legitimately had me laughing my ass off, and not when the game wanted me to laugh.

Its soundtrack kicks twelve kinds of ass though, particularly its main battle theme.

oohhhhhhh....Yeah that main battle theme is so damn good.

I totally concur with you on the rest too. The combat's pretty great, but feels kind of wonky at times. And the story is just plain laughable. Like, the gigantic mecha that randomly shows up after the fair chapter just....It literally has no reason to be there. At all.

Oct 22, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Ey, another person that didn't hate SH4.
I don't know if i'd rate it above 3, though. While i hold it in high regard from story and thematic angle, i don't think i will ever play it again. Some of those complaints about gameplay rang very true for me.

And while i haven't played Homecoming, watching an LP of it convinced me it was a good decision to make.
That game is a mess. Downpour seems to start strongly, be decent in the middle, and falls on its face near the end, but again - not a first hand impression here.
PS. Oh and agreed on the cult BS being a story nuisance in these games, for the most time.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
MrCalavera said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I don't know if i'd rate it above 3, though. While i hold it in high regard from story and thematic angle, i don't think i will ever play it again. Some of those complaints about gameplay rang very true for me.

And while i haven't played Homecoming, watching an LP of it convinced me it was a good decision to make.
That game is a mess. Downpour seems to start strongly, be decent in the middle, and falls on its face near the end, but again - not a first hand impression here.
PS. Oh and agreed on the cult BS being a story nuisance in these games, for the most time.
The one thing I downright dislike about SH4 is having to play through ever level twice. It's not that big of a bother since the second time around is shorter, there're new elements to shake things up (puzzle here, ghost boss there, on top of your own room) and I think the story's strong enough to keep your focus.

As much as I like Heather, SH3 is just too bland for me. Story takes forever to get going (I would've put Heather back in her home right after the mall instead of making the trip back 40% of the game) and the fact that you're driving down to Silent Hill for revenge sort of undermines the horror angle for me (never mind the freaking morning star you have for a weapon). Not to mention all the cult's cryptic BS that makes 90% of the dialogue. And the fact that a lot of the town has been copy/pasted from SH2, including a mandatory yet pointless tour through big-titty zombie nurse ward.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Mass Effect 1 has a great story

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Red Faction Guerilla: Well, you could blow up most things, and destroy lots with a sledgehammer. And it inspired the amusing song Space Asshole.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Sherry Birkin looks pretty cool in Resident Evil 6. Also, Helena Harper has nice, fluffy cleavage.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
MrCalavera said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Good to see The Room getting some love. It to me was the culmination of Team Silent?s efforts, and the new setting was welcomed. Whatever the rumors were about it never being meant as a true Silent Hill game, it was imo the most intriguing from a story and thematic perspective. The game design was also more mature, in that it played like true survival horror right down to outright demanding smart item usage to do well, especially with the Eileen sections.

I think the biggest fault of it would be eschewing preconceived notions of what a new entry in the series should be, while admittedly being pretty obtuse about some gameplay elements like the room cleansing and unkillable ghosts. Once you accept its rules and learn them there?s nothing quite like it still to this day in terms of unsettling, intelligent, highly atmospheric horror.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
It's not a game I hate, but I was really disappointed in it, so that will have to do.

FFX is really pretty, has an interesting premise, the sphere grid is an interesting way to level up skills, the ability to swap characters in and out mid-battle is long overdue(and should be available in more games) and is one of the few Final Fantasy games that's explicitly set in a world that's not derived from Western/European fantasy(being a East Asia/Polynesian setting).

Unfortunately, there's a lot of other issues that drags it down.