Sayings you dont understand

spielburg

Jun 24, 2011
Vangaurd227 said:
"There's more then one way to skin a cat".......There is?!?!?! if so i really don't want to know how....
Well... you can first cut off the head and then just strip the fur off the body of the cat OR you can tie a grenade to a cat and just pick up the pieces of fur afterwards.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Dango said:
"Sells like hotcakes."

What are hotcakes and why do they sell so well?
fairly certain they are pancakes always figured it was a U.S term

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
The Cheezy One said:
A bit off topic, but 'Alls well that ends well' is supposed to be a kind of optimistic, happy feeling thing, whereas 'The end justifies the means' is some kind of evil way of saying that you sacrifice anything for your own end, though when you think about it, they both mean the same thing - that if everything has worked out by the end of the day, then the events of the day don't matter.
Its means that you can do somthing the wrong way as long as in the end it's worth it

so like if I had to give up 10 dollers to make a 100 the end justifies the means I lost 10 but gained a 100

Cyd0n1a

Jul 15, 2009
"Break a leg!"

Makes no fucking sense. Breaking a leg is not fun nor is it something that one usually has a good time doing.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
loc978 said:
conflictofinterests said:
TheDarkEricDraven said:
"The exception that proves the rule". What the fuck does that mean? If its an exception, it doesn't prove anything!
snip
snip
Gralian said:
Harlief said:
Llil said:
neonit said:
MrTiki said:
snip
silasbufu said:

It's from an ancient legal term "the exception confirms the rule in cases not excepted" (exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis). It means that if there is an exception to something it means that there is a rule that demands the opposite.

Say I say the all people called Alice are allowed to not wear hats. That is an exception to a rule that people must wear hats.

The loss of "in cases not excepted" does leads to confusion and misuse of the term.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
I understand the meaning of "six-one-half-a-dozen-the-other" as "it doesn't matter either way"; however, it's more syllables and thus it takes more time.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Uber Evil said:
Figures of speech aren't really meant to be understood, just acknowledged.
You stole my icon you bastard. :p

Captcha:

What the fuck!?

TheDarkEricDraven said:
"The exception that proves the rule". What the fuck does that mean? If its an exception, it doesn't prove anything!
"No Parking on weekdays"

You can park there on weekends, proving that you can't park on weekdays.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Shut up, sit down and be quiet.
I seriously have no clue to what that means, but it usually is said halfway through one of my riveting speeches.
Can anyone explain?

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Shut up, sit down and be quiet.
I seriously have no clue to what that means, but it usually is said halfway through one of my riveting speeches.
Can anyone explain?
It means close your book/laptop, sit down, and stop making noise. It's an order to listen.

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
I live in cornwall and there are hundreds sayings over here such as A1 meaning im ok
but the one i dont get which i heard my mother speak recently is "Butter wouldn't melt in your mouth" which some how means you are too nice :l how does it?

The Brewin

Aug 23, 2009
xchurchx said:
I live in cornwall and there are hundreds sayings over here such as A1 meaning im ok
but the one i dont get which i heard my mother speak recently is "Butter wouldn't melt in your mouth" which some how means you are too nice :l how does it?

Your misreading this one, the term in its fullest is more akin to 'she acts like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth'. The phrase is not so much that the person is too good, but rather, they act and present themselves that they are so good, even butter wouldn't melt in their mouth (essentially your claiming you are so good, the impossible is possible)

Hope that helps

Brittain95

Jun 26, 2011
Cyd0n1a said:
"Break a leg!"

Makes no fucking sense. Breaking a leg is not fun nor is it something that one usually has a good time doing.
I tend to disagree i have passed countless hours of boredom by breaking other peoples legs.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
KB Rocker said:
"Mr. glass half-full" never got what that means
Glass half-full or glass half-empty indicate optimism or pessimism respectively, the object being described is objectvely the same, but the person's perception of it as half-empty or half-full depends on their temperament.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
ShaggyEdiddy214 said:
"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."Does this meen sticking my penis in a bush is better than masturbating?
That is to say, it's better to be happy with what you have (the bird in the hand) rather than chance it on the something you might be able to obtain, (the two in the bush) but in trying to obtain them, you may well lose what you already have, or end up with nothing.