Scariest Game Level Ever?

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Any level from Penumbra: Black Plague. You... have... no... flipping... weapons. There... are... almost... no... flipping... enemies. You run away on the rare occasion you see one. You run very fast.

And if I had to choose, I would pick getting chased by the infected doctor in the computer central. He tells you that he needs a saw to cut off his hand to let you enter another room. You give him a saw through the door. So he does cut off his hand. AND THEN CHASES YOU AROUND THE LEVEL. You actually have to hide in a server room, bait him in, and lock him in. Plus, your character is actually human, and has panic attacks when looking at enemies.
I remember that. I didn't figure out you had to lock him in the server room at first, so I assumed youjust had to avoid him (he can lose you if you run fast enough and hide). I noticed he moved on a set path, so I went back to the computer room, as he didn't seem to go there. I'm messing about with the cabinets trying to figure out what to do next when OMGWTFBBQ HE'S RIGHT BEHIND ME!

Another would be Afraid of Monsters, a Half-Life 1 mod, every single level. That game used every evil trick in the book, including making ammo deathly scarce, 100% invisible enemies, and a few sections where every light went out, sending you in complete darkness (you had a flashlight though). Plus, the zombies looked and moved really creepily.

And just to be redundant, yes, the Shalebridge Cradle is the epitomy of the scary video game level.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Geamo said:
The Secret Cow Level.
Moo moo moo-moo moo, moo moo MOO!

Diablo 2 was incredible.

A lot of the derelict Vaults in Fallout 3 were very scary - especially Vault 92 (Agatha's Song). The Vaults bring out the claustrophobe in me.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
The only time I've ever really been scared during a video game is the first level of Painkiller: Battle Out of Hell. Being trapped in an orphanage full of possessed children scared the hell out of me and the thought of killing said children set off my moralometer. To this day, I'm still unable to play it.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
rossyboy10 said:
I think its 'We dont go to Ravenholm' in Half life 2.
I laughed my way through that part of the game, except for when I cried because I had to use the Gravity-Gun. That gun single-handedly ruined Half-Life 2 for me...

Also, the scariest level is... The entirety of Mirror's Edge, I seriously jumped out of my seat playing that game... Seriously.

SADASS

Apr 18, 2008
I'ld say just about everywhere in Afriad of Monsters. It's a HL1 mod. Scarier than anything else i've seen

faerber

Jun 14, 2009
the game wasnt scary at all but i was playing that ps1 3rd person duke nuke nukem , i thought i had killed all the suicide dynamite pigs, when i turned around and one squealed and blew up in my face. i must have jumped feet!

aussiesniper

Mar 20, 2008
The Agoroprom underground bloodsucker encounter in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl.

The growling noise was enough by itself without the invisible mutant trying to bleed me dry.

ShotgunSmoke

Apr 19, 2009
Ravenholm wasn't scary. At all. It was just a little creepy at the start, but after you get past the first two huts, it just becomes fun, because of the gravity gun. At the end it's quite annoying, because you always run out of ammo, and the zombies just keep coming. I was glad to meet good old Combine soldiers, because those little headcrap fuckers were annoying.

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
Looking Glass Land in American Mcgee's Alice. The music just plain creeped me out....

Skool Daze also... those children, with their creepy smiles!

Fallen_Hitokiri

Jun 14, 2009
Definitely the department store level in Condemned!
But Ive seen a poll the scariest game ever created was voted as the original Silent Hill

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
The first encounter of the 'V-rex' (Sort of namesake) in King Kong... man that scared the hell outta me.

Hitman 43

Jun 6, 2009
I've never really been scared by a game, but the closest to it would probably be the first time you fight against a Regenerator in Resident Evil 4.