Scariest game??

Evilvikingking

May 2, 2009
Okay. Has a game ever properly scared you and what was it?

Mine is Doom 3 on the PC... It made me jump....off of my seat.....only once though...:\

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Welcome to the Escapist.
Any game that manages to surprise me is scary. It can be a flesh eating mutant in Dead Space to a player running around the corner in COD4.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Silent Hill 3 made me shut off the screen and cower in the next room. I had to watch a kid show on tv to get myself de-spookefied.

It was the bit before the church that got to me. Pitch-dark and tight hallways, enemies plus bleeding AND burning walls? Too much for me...

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
The goddamn search bu-

Oh, new guy. You are forgiven.
phatty500 said:
Fatal Frame seriously all you have is a camera COME ON
Didn't that have a really shitty sequel?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Earthbound.
just for Giygas...
No other game has made me feel so afraid.

Johnnyweird

May 7, 2008
ssgt splatter said:
Welcome to the Escapist.
Any game that manages to surprise me is scary. It can be a flesh eating mutant in Dead Space to a player running around the corner in COD4.
Agreed. But I wouldn't consider that scaring you, just simply surprising you.
My way of judging if a game is scary is whether or not I am able to proceed. While the scariest horror movie would continue playing to the end, your only options being to keep or stop watching, a game requires player input, and sometimes I'm too petrified to give it that.

This has happened most of all with the Silent Hill series, specifically Silent Hill 2. I've also had this experience with Resident Evil 4, but to a lesser extent.

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
Siren Blood Curse actually had a few good scares in store for me. One of them was running into the first "spider shibito". And they did a good job of putting suspense in the game. (for people who played it: I almost shat myself when I was fiddling with the lock with Bella while having her zombiefied mom sight-jacked who was running to get me.

The commentary from these guys was same as mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plhfx1gjG8Y

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Doom 3... I haven't really played many horror games though, and after playing that I feel as if I'll just laugh at any other thing trying to be scary.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
phatty500 said:
Fatal Frame seriously all you have is a camera COME ON
Seriously. Plus, it forces you to look at the suckers straight in the face. The best time to attack them is when they're about to kill you.
Fatal Frame III was the only game in my life I had to put down because I was scared shitless to keep playing.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
All the Thief games. Partly because the game is based on sneaking rather than fighting, and partly because every other mission you're infiltrating a cult-infested forest or a haunted crypt or a god damn orphanage-turned-insane-asylum-turned-abandoned nightmare house.

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
Condemned 2 scared me...once and shocked me...once.
In the level where everyone dissapeared from the building. The atmosphere scared me a little bit. Then they ruined it with shock jump-out scares. If you look at the body on the autopsy table a monster will appear out of nowhere along with a loud noise.

Tarmon'gaidin

Jan 15, 2009
The very first Resident Evil. Pretty laughable if you think about it now, but at the time I crapped my pants at every sound and/or movement.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
sgtshock said:
All the Thief games. Partly because the game is based on sneaking rather than fighting, and partly because every other mission you're infiltrating a cult-infested forest or a haunted crypt or a god damn orphanage-turned-insane-asylum-turned-abandoned nightmare house.
I loved the Cradle level in Thief 3.
Hookman said:
Condemned 2 scared me...once and shocked me...once.
In the level where everyone dissapeared from the building. The atmosphere scared me a little bit. Then they ruined it with shock jump-out scares. If you look at the body on the autopsy table a monster will appear out of nowhere along with a loud noise.
Same thing with me and that game. I got bored with the cheap scares.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Biek said:
Siren Blood Curse actually had a few good scares in store for me. One of them was running into the first "spider shibito". And they did a good job of putting suspense in the game. (for people who played it: I almost shat myself when I was fiddling with the lock with Bella while having her zombiefied mom sight-jacked who was running to get me.

The commentary from these guys was same as mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plhfx1gjG8Y
And just like that I'm not sleeping tonight. I was gonna say the dentist that appears behind you in the Medical Pavilion in Bioshock but it doesn't even come close to that.

Kirra

Apr 14, 2009
F.E.A.R. 2. Wasn't really that scary but i never played a scarier game.

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
I got really, really scared of the spider vampires in "Soul Reaver" when I was younger. To the extent that I had to return the game.

It's been years since that happened, and I have since re-bought and completed it.

Doom 3 and Condemned aren't scary, but they do make me jump.