Scariest Moment In A Game

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
The scariest gaming moment for me was in HL2. Not Ravenholm, though, I'm in the middle of Ravenholm and so far no major scares yet. No, this was in Water Hazard, at one of the physics puzzles. In this one you had to climb up a ladder to push a laundry machine onto a scale that will raise a ramp which you can drive your boat across. As I was hopping around near the concrete pipes a zombie jumped out of the water, screaming.

This wouldn't have been so bad but for the fact that I had not expected a zombie to jump out here in the slightest. Of course, it was reduced to soup by mmy SMG, but I was badly shaken. I moped around for a while, to scared to go any further, before playing something else and not returning for a week.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
The sound of those half completed dark troopers was really menacing. I didn't find Ravenholme that bad. The Hotel mission in Vampire, I remember was really frightening the first time I did it, especially the basement, always freaks me out, that and the hospital part when you see that guy get eviscerated right in front of you.

The bloodsuckers in Stalker, especially the first one you find is really creepy, it makes you paranoid, but I thought the creepiest part of that game was in an underground facility after you finish what your doing in it, you find that creature that messes with your mind and you see that skull, oh, I never wanted to get close to one of those again.

Doom 3 and FEAR are the scariest games I've played so far. They've made me jump before.

Recently I played Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened, and it had some really creepy parts. It can go from getting a book about fish from the corner store to finding several rotting dismembered corpses and a sacrifice victim in the local fisherman's shed by following a bloodtrail.

Edit: I bought Fatal Frame and Call of Cthulhu because of this thread, and Fatal Frame is by far the scariest game I've ever played.

Fvantom

Jan 19, 2008
I have a few things in games that freaked me out

-I was playing Half Life 2 and I was going through a random house (just on the side of the road) I checked every floor, all were clear, no zombies, I turn around to go downstairs and, you guessed it, one of the head crab zombies was right behind me, scared the hell outta me =P

-the beginning of the Suffering, when you first get control of Torque

-Through the Fire and Flames on expert

-the part in Doom 3 when the research facility your in the heart of is attacked by demons, you never knew what was going to happen to you

-Doom 3 again (this ones more funny than scary) the pitch black rooms you come across every now and then, youd just be walking along and bam, dead.

ps. Alabaster, Im in your position too lol

Foss

Jan 30, 2008
The single most terrifying thing I've ever experienced in a game was way back when I was playing Ocarina of Time on the N64. I was only about 5 at the time, and when I got to the Forest Temple, and the perspective flipped upside down, and suddenly these hands you couldn't see dropped down and plucked you up into oblivion.

Gah, it freaked me out like nothing else.

Other than that, I've never really been scared in a game. Obviously i've been in a lot of "Oh my god, didn't expect that" moments, but not real fear.

Pinazzle

Jan 2, 2008
Anniko said:
Why has nobody mentioned the beachfront hotel in Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines?

Definetly the scariest moment in a game that I've played.
Also, if you like FPSRPG games, then that's definetly one to get (make sure you get the official and unofficial patches aswell, otherwise it's quite buggy).

Also, any point in System Shock 2, much better game than Bioshock tbqh.
Oh goddd I Hated going through that, Also Fear doesn't really scare me, Nor do most games
But For some reason The Zombies from 1 - Code veronica In the Resident evil Series was a good way to scare the living shit out of myself, Also The Iron maidens from RE4 Were so Creepy T_T

Cod4 Sucked!

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Give a medal to whoever developed the Shadow and Forest temples in OoT. I mean really. Wallmasters? So simple, yet so damn scary. I used to avoid the Master Key room in the Forest Temple for months on end before I overcame my fear of being leaped upon from above. I actually went as far as totally ignoring Navi's advice, getting the hookshot and headed straight to the Water and Fire temples before going back there. I was only like, 10 at the time, though.

I don't tend to find games or even movies scary any more. Although I didn't go past the first enemy on Fatal Frame/Project Zero. That really was epic.

Dubiousduke

Jan 27, 2008
When Halo:CE came out I couldn't finish the game because I was too scared of the flood....
Four years later I manned up and borrowed someone else's copy for completion.

Games with nothing but zombies in them ( Resident evil, rising) seem more comical than scary. Nothing like a zombie pushing a shopping cart.

Heroic One

Aug 29, 2007
When I was a little girl the Eel in Jolly Roger Bay of Super Mario 64 scared me half to death. For whatever reason I was convinced that if I stayed in the water long enough the thing would come out of its hole and try to eat me. So I essentially skipped that level entirely and never finished the game entirely.

Fast forward to when I'm 16 and I decide to muster up the courage to do it, and I easily accomplish all the goals because everything is so hilariously stupid looking now. Hooray for graphics standards!

Iss

Jan 25, 2008
The absolute worst? I was fourteen I think, had just bought Silent Hill 1. Came home alone at night and not knowing what i really was I just plugged it in and started. Walking through those tight alleys in the beginning, things just getting creepier and creepier, the music turning violent. Then you turn a corner and theres this gutted, skinned corpse hanging on the fence. I turn and run like hell only there is nowhere to run to. And these horrible little creatures come out and start hacking at your shins and you cant fight or get away. Just run in smaller circles until you die. It was three months before I played it again, and started a loveaffair with the best horrorgames ever :D Pyramid head was just awful every time I saw him. Now I have him tattoed on my back.

The death of Lisa is also a horrible moment in SH1, though more sad-scary than hide-under-the-bed scary.

The cradle in thief 3 scared me a bit at the start. But having the thief routines it was a walk in the park once the enemies turned up. Knowing that you can kill any zombie with two flashbangs I always carried around a lot of those, and just blitzed the second half of the cradle :/
Though if you want a scary thief-moment. Play return to the haunted cathedral from the dark project. Thats a lot worse in my opinion.

Fear had it's moments, but like doom 3 it was really obvious when something scary was being set up, so you were always ready for it. Only one place that I really jumped, when you turn to climb a ladder and see the feet of Alma standing where you just stood...

But all in all, for horror nothing beats the first silen hill. That feeling, knowing you only have a few clips left, there are enemies all around but its dark and you cant see them before they are close, and you are so very, very alone.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
I'm thinking the new zombie game Ded Island is looking mighty scary. I really want it. I love zombie games because they are some of the scariest ones around. Picturing yourself in this situation would be crap inducing.

Iss

Jan 25, 2008
oh yeah, and silent hill 4. It was all ok until the special ghosts start appearing halfway through the game, and I only found one of the binding swords. Being chased around by that sadako-style... THING every-*******-where I went really ate away at my nerves.

Scammy

Dec 15, 2007
Oh, I just remembered another scary-ass moment...

Donkey Kong 64. Yeah, ****ing Donkey Kong 64. I was running around the Egypt level, minding my own business, when I came upon the revelation that after you get the Golden Banana from one of these Pyramids, you had to run out in a certain time limit or else you got shot by some guy who screams "GET OUT" at you randomly. I freaked out every time.

Iceman23

Dec 20, 2007
Doom 3, I was 12 years old and had never really watched/ played anything horror related before that point. I remember that the first few hours consisted of me moving through the corridors at a snails pace while making frequent stops to pull out my flashlight and examine any dark parts of the room for something that was waiting to jump out at me.

SpiderLotus

Jan 31, 2008
Personally I have a hard time getting scared in games as I rarely sympathize with game characters (for example, I don't give two tits about Aeris or her death. Tifa was waaaayyy hotter. But that's just me). For me, a truly scary thing in games is shitty graphics. I don't mean it like "UGH! These graphics are so cheap it's mortifying!" The only way I can describe it is that they make me feel uncomfortable, like I'm in a foreign dimension. So for me, the scariest moment was watching Scissorsman in ClockTower move. His jerky animation and ridiculously huge shears are the stuff of my nightmares.

The Poet

Jan 2, 2008
All right, I have a few scary gaming moments.

1) Half Life 2 EP 2:

Before Alyx got injured, I saw a Hunter. When I was told to jump across rooftops and into a room I did so. It was dark and all I noticed was a switch. I quickly hit it and heard a sound behind me. I slowly turned looking for something to throw with the Grav Gun. I didn't see anything and finished turning and saw a Hunter fly past a window as the lights flickered reaveling many Rebel bodies and blood everywhere. I remember saying "Holy hell... This is the end...". Another was when I was running through the mines from the Antlion. I had just finished running and looked around not hearing or seeing anything. I decided to take a quick reload and recharge break. Half way through reloading my shottie I heard a small noise. I turned seeing the Antlion within 10 feet of me charging. I was so surprised and scared I almost pissed myself.

2)

Far Cry gave me many horrifying moments. Not the single player but the multiplayer Predator mode. Me and my friends used to play on a huge map named Jungle Valley which basically was a jungle at the bottom of a valley where you would have to take 1 of 3 routes up the mountains towards the base. It was by far my best multiplayer experience ever. Anyways, I remember quite a few horrifying moments. There was so much vegatation that you couldn't see much in front of you and be virtually invisible if you were lieing down in it. I remember walking through the jungle and hitting the dirt. I remember hearing people yell through the mic "PREDATOR!" as others yelled "WHERE DID THAT BASTARD GO!" or "HE JUST KILLED PAT!". By the end of it and by the time the heart beat stopped I talked. "Guys, are any of you still there?". I only heard silence. I checked the player-list and saw that there were 2 others alive, let's call them John and Mike since I forgot their real names. "Guys, are you in trouble?". I waited a moment before hearing Mike go "I'm clear now, pred gone, you John?". We waited to hear his response but got none. We then talked about meating up by the river and going on a specific route before John yelled "COVER BLOWN! SHIT THEY'RE ALL OVER---" his mic cut out as I looked through a hole in the trees and saw his corpse flying through the air. I knew he was dead and that it was now 2-3. It was a freaky moment knowing you were outgunned, outmanned, and outskilled. Now that was only part of one game. Imagine dozens if not hundreds of games with moments like these. That's why I think Far Cry Insticts was my best multiplayer game. However, I am also guilty of being a total prick in it. I let the mercs get to a ridge below me before I did anything. I heard their mics "I feel a heartbeat", "Don't worry, he must be passing in the jungle below". They looked down and behind them. I jumped down and the heart beat spiked so fast as I killed one as I came down and jumped into the jungle below. My friend Dog (Yes, I remember his name and he was in it) watched me jump down and kill him as I heard his mic go "OH SHIT! IT'S MIGHTY!" (MightyBeaver is my gamertag). I knew his character model and killed each on of the mercs surrounding him overtime as they continued until he was the only left. He admited to me later that it was one of his most terrifying moments and how he hated me toying with him in that game.

3) Bioshock

Quick one here, Bioshock was one of my most freaky games. Now I have no problem with it but when you start playing it for you're first time in low lighting after mid-night it got REALLY fucking scary.