Scariest Moment In A Game

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Singing Gremlin said:
What?! I loved owning Sander. I always flick to the wrench as he calls in his spider slicers, as it becomes a really balletic fight, specially with the music. Nailing a spider slicer in the head as you both jump through the air and watching all his momentum at the head stop with a sickening crunch while the rest of the body carries on moving is tear-inducingly beautiful.

But then I'm a bit strange.
Yeah but I was truely freaked right the fuck out by that guy. I wanted nothing to do with him. So once we were finished I went on my merry way.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Aye, I see what you mean. The Cohen bit was the most uncomfortable part of the game imo. The statue splicers and so on. S'why I do kill him really, I'd feel really uncomoftable is that loose end wasn't tied up...

Immortal_Anarchist

Feb 2, 2008
In Bloodlines, when playing a Malkavian:

I had just completed the Museum mission, and because I was spotted by the cameras, was forced to kill a lot gaurds (but hey, combat zone, so that's fine).

So, after I've reported and all, I'm back in my haven, watching TV. The hard working news reporter (honestly, does that poor guy ever get a break?) reports on the museum robbery, as he always does.

But then, in the exact same tone of voice as he was always using, he says, "Police are investigating the scene, murderer, they will find you."

That freaked me out when I first heard it. I know, it probably sounds lame, but I think it was masterfully done, and just one of the little things that makes playing a malky in that game so much mind-fucking fun.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
MechJaz said:
RE1 remake was damn scary, I slept with the lights on for three nights after I started playing that. RE4 was good but never really scary, though the spike monsters (the ones you need the thermal scope for) were rather creepy.

BioShock had its fair share of creeps and chills, best among them was one most people, it seems, haven't seen or heard of. In Fort Frolic, there's a room (I can't remember exactly where - maybe near the tobacco shop, but don't hold me to it) with maybe 18 inches of standing water on the floor. There aren't any lights in the room, the illumination all comes from the ambient glow of Rapture outside the massive windows. There are pillars throughout the room, and tailor's mannequins sprinkled throughout. Also, there are some spider slicer statues... you think. I'd walk around the room, looking for ammo and whatnot in the water, and hear - barely - the shuffling of a splicer on the ceiling then a splash, right as I was about to turn around and light up the splicer. There wasn't anything there but a statue, but one that definitely hadn't been there before. Needless to say, I hauled ass back out of that room and sought the safe comfort of hacking a vending machine.
If you keep going further into that room, it becomes filled with them, who then break out and attack you.

The only games I've ever found scary are the Resident Evil games, and that's because of a childhood experience which I never quite got over >.<

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Singing Gremlin said:
Aye, I see what you mean. The Cohen bit was the most uncomfortable part of the game imo. The statue splicers and so on. S'why I do kill him really, I'd feel really uncomoftable is that loose end wasn't tied up...
As soon as the game goes down to budget price, I will finally muster the strength to kill that psycho and get that irony achievement.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
While everyone's talking about BioShock, the Hephaestus level was the first one that really creeped me out. There's a bit where you're walking down this long engine room, when Andrew gets on the horn and gives you one of his speeches that go along the lines of, 'Haha, you think you're gonna get me? I'll show you what for, you bastard!'. The lights go off. There's some shuffling and laughter. Lights come back on. As you dawdle along a bit further, same thing happens. When you get to the end of the room, you see all of these corpses littered across the floor. When you walk towards them, you find out by way of them all jumping up and attacking you that they were in fact splicers pretending to be corpses. Nasty business.

Later, you see a corpse slumped against a vending machine. I walked up to the vending machine, marveling at the good fortune that brought both a vending machine and a lootable corpse across my trail, when the spider splicer snapped her head up and laughed maniacally. Bear in mind that I was looking at her head at the time.

UncleWesker

Feb 3, 2008
Playing the remake of the original Resident Evil and going through the familiar dog hallway prepared to face an onslaught of vicious mutant canines. You get closer to the window and tense up. You begin to move at a faster pace praying to god you can outrun the monstrosities. You run past the window and hear the crash of breaking glass. But low and behold, no monster is chasing you. You cheer in triumph, "Ha! No more dog windows!" A half an hour later you return to the corridor looking for some item or another. Shotgun in tow, traveling at a modest pace. When suddenly to long skinny figures leap through the windows and begin chasing you down. You're carrying a weapon that's severely slowing you down and the terrible dogs from hell are closing in with every second.

Bishop99999999

Dec 6, 2007
In Doom 3, when you get the chaingun. I think it went like this: You can see the gun at the end of a long hallway filled with pillars, and of course, shadows conceal pretty much everything else. A little voice is whispering stuff like "Over here..." and "This way...". And when you finally do get the chaingun, what little light there is goes out, only to be replaced by a pulsing demonic light outlining dozens of zombies coming your way. Of course, the combination of fear-induced adrenaline and a large rotary-barrel machine gun makes quick work of your assailants, but to this day, few other scenes have induced the same level of both fear and triumph/vindication. After all, the best way to deal with fear is by screaming while firing large calibur ordinance.

brimstone1392

Feb 3, 2008
I'm not sure if anyone posted this yet (too drunk to read through 7 pages). I hope not, since I registered just to make this post.

The only moment in a game (since Silent Hill 2) that really creeped me out was in Bioshock. It's towards the beginning of the Medical Pavillion stage. Anyway, you walk into one of those medical offices and see a plasmid on a desk. When you pick it up, a haze that resembles the fog from a cold freezer obstructs your vision entirely for a second or two. When it's over, you turn around and *BAM* a splicer is standing there! I mean just freakin' standing there for a couple of seconds, looking at you while you look at it. Of course, then the melee begins, but for those couple of seconds I was actually frozen at the keyboard.

I loved that part, even on replays.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
I love that bit brim. was dead obvious it was gonna happen so i switched to wrench and clobbered him over the head... And PR, only just occured to me to photogrpah the corpse, cheers for the 10GP ^^

HyperReaper33

Feb 3, 2008
Ahh, I remember one night...

Me and my bud were playing Silent Hill 3. It was near the end of the game, and we never got that far. Well, in one hallway, there is a normal door. Just a door. Right? You are DAMN WRONG. I went into this door, and was initially frightened by the room-sized mirror on the other side, but, whatever. I looked around in this tiny room and didn't find anything (note that the camera is always fixed on you and your "mirror-you", not to mention the whole room in the mirror) useful so I went to leave. The door was locked. Huh. Thats not supposed to happen.
Well, I look back, and the sink in the mirror's reflection starts bubbling up...something. Blackish-red. Gotta' be blood, I guess. Well, it's just the mirror's reflection doing that--untill the REAL sink starts doing it. By now, I'm thinking, "Wow, this is strange...". It starts to overflow, then, these...red tendrils start crawling up the walls at a slow, yet speedy pace. Note that it's only in the mirror. For about 1 minute. Then it starts to happen in YOUR room. Soon, the room is wrapped in red vine...things, and you start to notice something else. Your reflection...it's starting to get bloody! I'm running around with my katana out, waving it like a spazz, and the room turns black. Slowly, of course. It looks like millions of bugs are crawling all on the walls. Note your reflection is STILL getting bloodier and bloodier. I'm running around like nuts, I try to open the door again...still locked. Me and my friend are freakin' out, and as I'm running in a circle, there is one point where my back was facing the mirror, ready to make my 156478th panic around the room, and my reflection STOPS. It slowly turns to face you, and stands still, even if you move. Oh. Shit. Then, you die.

Yeah. Not going in there again. But I did. And I noticed that if you don't stay in there for longer than a minute, you can leave. Wierd, huh?

Talisker

Jan 31, 2008
Conemned has that terrifying air of menace about it that dosent let up for the whole game. Can't wait for the second one.
Also, whoever came up with the idea of not being able to hold a torch and a gun at the same time in Doom 3 is just cruel....

tgr

Feb 3, 2008
I was playing Manhunt: crouching in some dark corner while a huge bald bastard with a baseball bat was looking to bash my head in, when the wife comes and sits next to me. She looks for a while, and whispers: "what are you going to do next?", and I whisper back something like "Dunno, maybe I try to go to that corner there...", and we continued whispering for a while until we finally remembered that the guy patrolling on the screen cannot actually hear what we say... Not a "jump-out" moment, but tells a bit about the general feeling.

Also, Silent Hill and hangover do not mix that well.

downskitty

Jan 15, 2008
tgr said:
I was playing Manhunt: crouching in some dark corner while a huge bald bastard with a baseball bat was looking to bash my head in, when the wife comes and sits next to me. She looks for a while, and whispers: "what are you going to do next?", and I whisper back something like "Dunno, maybe I try to go to that corner there...", and we continued whispering for a while until we finally remembered that the guy patrolling on the screen cannot actually hear what we say... Not a "jump-out" moment, but tells a bit about the general feeling.
When you play it with a headset on, then they can hear you as well. It's more fun that way, though, because then you hear Brian Cox as the director saying even more demented shit. Sometimes, he'll go into little rants, and other times, he'll threaten to reveal your position and does so by shouting loudly enough that the hunters pick up on the noise.

propertyofcobra

Oct 17, 2007
HyperReaper33 said:
Ahh, I remember one night...

Me and my bud were playing Silent Hill 3. It was near the end of the game, and we never got that far. Well, in one hallway, there is a normal door. Just a door. Right? You are DAMN WRONG. I went into this door, and was initially frightened by the room-sized mirror on the other side, but, whatever. I looked around in this tiny room and didn't find anything (note that the camera is always fixed on you and your "mirror-you", not to mention the whole room in the mirror) useful so I went to leave. The door was locked. Huh. Thats not supposed to happen.
Well, I look back, and the sink in the mirror's reflection starts bubbling up...something. Blackish-red. Gotta' be blood, I guess. Well, it's just the mirror's reflection doing that--untill the REAL sink starts doing it. By now, I'm thinking, "Wow, this is strange...". It starts to overflow, then, these...red tendrils start crawling up the walls at a slow, yet speedy pace. Note that it's only in the mirror. For about 1 minute. Then it starts to happen in YOUR room. Soon, the room is wrapped in red vine...things, and you start to notice something else. Your reflection...it's starting to get bloody! I'm running around with my katana out, waving it like a spazz, and the room turns black. Slowly, of course. It looks like millions of bugs are crawling all on the walls. Note your reflection is STILL getting bloodier and bloodier. I'm running around like nuts, I try to open the door again...still locked. Me and my friend are freakin' out, and as I'm running in a circle, there is one point where my back was facing the mirror, ready to make my 156478th panic around the room, and my reflection STOPS. It slowly turns to face you, and stands still, even if you move. Oh. Shit. Then, you die.

Yeah. Not going in there again. But I did. And I noticed that if you don't stay in there for longer than a minute, you can leave. Wierd, huh?
Ahh, the mirror room. Apparently, the idea is that the mirror shows a few minutes into the future. IIRC, if you check the locked door REALLY soon before the death-time, the game will let you out too. (That is what happened to me, that you could die was revealed to me later. I will never return to that damned room)

Specially noteworthy: I tried to break the mirror, and the mirror-you WILL reach out of the mirror when you attempt to reach in by hitting it.
The mirror-Heather ended up halfway leaning out the mirror when she froze in place.
A glitch that should have been funny, but just ended up scaring me even more.

HyperReaper33

Feb 3, 2008
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was subjected to that ;_;

Thats the only time a game has made me truly frightened. That, and American McGee's Alice.

That game is just fucked up.

Logie--bear

TARDIS Stalker
Feb 2, 2008
It may sound ridiculous, but i'm going to say psychonauts. When you are in Milla's Brain (The female camp counselor), There is a secret but not so secret room you can find. in it are her repressed memories.

It is one of the scariest things ever. Specially after the light heartedness of her brain/psychonauts in general

The-Big-D

Feb 4, 2008
Id have to say condemmed when you photograph the guy in the locker in the school level you about to take a photo and wham he just grabs you and looks kind of manjie looking.
Also when random crack addicts jump out trying to phisically fist rape you up the ass.

also max paine with the dream levels there prety bad with the blood trails and the baby.

resident evil 1 on gamecube your running back through the mansion and a random hunter just busts through the door at 100mph. also when the zombies are on the floor and you go past them and they just like do the worm at 100mph stand bolt up right and run like mad after you. also not a good thing after you run out of ammo after a boss fight.
i thaught the lisa trevor bit in the caves after you go down in the lift was pretty freaky at times when you had to flick the switch and put the broken flamethrower on the stand because you knew she was there just the minute you go round a corner she would be there but ou wouldnt notice till the ugly ***** swung for you.
for a game that shat me up most

the first shadowman definately had its moments

also thief

silent hill games definately a good one for scary moments or suspence

there probably loads more but these i remember most