Scariest sounds in games

Apr 5, 2008
I doubt anyone here can (or will) sympathise, but Thief 2 had these zombies [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LFB8fqLZUA] that sent shivers down my spine. Also, those robots [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-V9T0SiWvA] that wander around spouting Hammers rhetoric, with the mechanical whine of gears. They were freaky. Between the two of them, I actually couldn't complete the game, which is saying something as it's the best of the trilogy and one of the best games of its era.

I think the reason for my fear of those is that both these foes were relentless when compared to a human guard. Meeting them in the open also frequently resulted in Garret's death. Part of the game's appeal perhaps, really having to stay hidden, breath held, knuckles white, heart hammering, praying to the Builder that they don't see me. Having to stay completely motionless while one of those zombies shuffles and moans past, an inch away from death was more than I could handle...at least then. Now I feel like trying again...wonder if it will work on Win7.

Truniron

Nov 9, 2010
Playing a game and when there is no sound. Walking down a path minding your own business and then the sound go away. No music and no sound means shit is going to happen, you just don´t know when

Ninjafire72

Feb 27, 2011
Damn whisperings in Dead Space, especially in the hospital level where the voice is whispering psychological jargon in your ears:

"... A desire for social interaction, physical contact, affection or support may lead you to make poor judgments of decisions in multiple areas..."

"shut up shutup SHUT UP!!!"

Honourable mention goes to Silent Hill's radio static, and the scraping of Pyramid Head's knife against the ground in SH2.

Darius Brogan

Apr 28, 2010
It's not sounds in games that scare me, it's the lack of sounds.

Like in Dead Space, when you've just blasted your way through ten-fucking-rooms of Necromorphs, are almost dead, almost completely out of ammunition, paranoid and twitchy, and FINALLY find a 'safe place'.... when everything goes quiet.

Sure, you probably don't think much of it at the time, you're much too distracted by saving-your-own-weeny-little-ass to care all that much.

Upon completion of your purchases, but just before you replenish your health, because you're epic like that, you turn around in an attempt at quiet contemplation of the Universe at large when you realize that, despite being on a mostly-destroyed ship teeming with vicious hordes of partially-dead alien life-forms, there is no noise.

None at all.

Following this, you turn five degrees to the right and are made aware of a Necromorph presence two feet away from your tender, squishy flesh, making preparations to drive both of its two-foot-long bone-blades into your vital organs via your jugular and carotid arteries.

There is NO OTHER OPTION in that situation than to squeal like a little girl, ready your still-mostly-empty plasma cutter, and fire-off every single remaining round at the creature in question in the feeble hopes that, failing to outright kill it, you can at least cut off its legs to slow it down.

Lerasai

Aug 14, 2010
Any sound in Amnesia: The Dark Descent can make me squeal like a little girl. Oh, and in Fallout: New Vegas' Dead Money you will begin to either fear or violently resent the creepy radio noises that trigger your collar to explode if you don't track down the source and destroy it fast enough.

Reynard Wrecce

May 15, 2010
b3nn3tt said:
The sound of the regenerators in Resident Evil 4. I heard one the first time I played it and ended up running round a corner right into it. Dropped the controller and ended up munched by it. Not a fun moment.
Yes! Absolutely. That...wheezing, shuddering, vaguely visceral breathing with the dragging of the feet. And the brilliance is, you meet the first one before you really know what the deal is with them; so the first one, I confidently stuck three shotgun rounds in its face...and the smile dropped off my face as it didn't even flinch. Every time I heard the sound after that.

Also, though I knew it was coming, when I played Portal 2, that cold voice for the first time in years..."Oh. It's you." Half-squee'd, half-pooped.

Particulate

May 27, 2011
The click that comes when your magazine is empty.

I don't care if you're playing call of duty, silent hill, resident evil, or Deus Ex there's always that "No ammo" indicator. It usually comes with a visual clue as well as audio but either way it means that something is going on in the game that caused you to burn all your ammo and now you have to reload under pressure which means at least a second or two where you cannot defend yourself. And even if you managed to eliminate the immediate threat there's still the fact that you probably wasted a lot of ammo which you're not going to have later.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
Greyah said:
I don't really know any, actually. I find that in games where you have a weapon at your side, there is no need to be afraid because whatever might come at you, you can probably just kill. If you can't kill it, then perhaps, but usually the "shoot it a few times and then walk away" tactic works pretty well too.

Now, I can already hear you say "What about Amnesia then, hmmmmmm?" but that's the thing. I find Amnesia incredibly silly, because the main character is such a dumbass. Just pick up, like, a metal pipe, crowbar, or whatever you happen to have near and bludgeon the damn monsters to death, you idiot!
that's why the regenerators in re4 are so popular.
the first time you encounter one it's not likely that you'll be able to kill it not to mention that it corners you immediately AND they have a chance that they'll randomly start running at you. slow moving zombies my ass.....

EDIT: oh and of course the creepy ass breathing sound that they make.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
That sound in the school building in Silent Hill. I didn't mind the radio static. I even managed to look past those creepy demon baby things. But that noise...

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
The Madman said:
Vidi Kitty said:
Kathinka said:
"your ssssssong is not ours!"

honorable mention, more awesome than scary:

"OSWALD COMPROMIIIIIIIISED!"
What are these from?
If I'm not mistaken System Shock 2.

I always found the midwives much more frightening however.

I am so glad i have not played that game... O.O

That is creepy as hell! Who are the "Little ones" by the way? o_O

OT: The ticking of the ticker creeps me out a lil in Gears, and the Wreches scream is enough to make me jump when i'm not aware.

Also a Creepers hiss is enough to make me panic...

Mr S

Jul 13, 2010
When you're redecorating your house which took a lot of hours and love to build you hear something behind you say:
That's a nicccce everything you have there ...

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Every RTS feeling hates this sound...

"Warning: Nuclear Launch Detected"

Oh... balls...
"The enemy is building Scarabs" (Halo Wars)

*you glare at your base with only a hand full of troops protecting it*

Shit....

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Mr S said:
When you're redecorating your house which took a lot of hours and love to build you hear something behind you say:
That's a nicccce everything you have there ...
I was about to think Minecraft...but then i realised nothing in that game speaks...

What game is this? ._.