Scary Games You Didnt Think Would Be Scary.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
SGYDTWBS

Have you ever gotten a Game and Not expected a single ounce of fear to come out?

my example: DoomRL. You are HORRIBLY underpowered in comparison with the original doom, enemies are much harder to kill AND more common, and of every two steps I hear some horrible SOMETHING growl at me from the shadows. it resulted in perhaps the most terrifying game Ive ever played and ive played penumbra. but is a THRILLING scary, so I forgive it.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Resident Evil 4.

I had never played an RE game before and thought it would just be a cool action game with scary elements.

I was wrong. That game scared the shit out of me.

Goddamn regeneraters....

Save us.A7X

Apr 15, 2009
Silent Hill 3, I had recently played through Silent Hill 2 and honestly hadn't found it that scary so I expected more of the same from 3, oh God how wrong I was, that entire game terrified from start to finish.

Swarley

Apr 5, 2010
Alan Wake. I've gotten so used to "horror" games that are more about monsters jumping out of closets that I was sure that Alan Wake would just be an easy going hike through the woods.

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
I can't think of a game that really "scared" me. The only one I can think of that even creeped me out a little was the hotel level in Vampire:tMB.

- J

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
RE4 sorta kinda. Never played an RE game before (thought they'd be too scary) and I reasoned that RE4 looked more action-like than horror-like. Shotgun goodness, right? It was pretty much fine for a while with some minorly scary moments......then the Regenerators showed up. The bag in the dumpster is still creepy as **** too.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Various levels in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines were pretty damned freaky, and since I hadn't expected the game to be so heavy on horror elements, it hit me by surprise. The Hotel is the most often mentioned section, but I found the... ahem... snuff film bit in Hollywood to be much more psychologically terrifying. The entire concept of what's going on there, what the 'vampires' are doing to people, and the lair of the tzimisce vampire itself is horrifying beyond belief.

Not bad for an rpg.

Then there's SWAT 4. There are two missions in that game which involve taking down deranged subjects, and when you burst into their houses what you find is extremely disturbing. Again; Not a horror game. But I'll be damned if those two missions didn't have me on edge. If you've played the game you know which two I'm talking about!

May 5, 2010
Bioshock creeped me out a fair bit. Especially this one time when I was just walking down a hallway, and right in my ear, I hear this old man chanting gibberish. It sounded like latin. There was just something about the voice was incredibly creepy. Imagine Gandalf's evil twin. That's probably what it sounded like. Anyway, there was no one there, and never happened again, not in all 5 playthroughs. By the way, if this has happened to you, please tell me so I know I'm not insane.

The Root Beer Guy

Apr 1, 2010
The Ocean House Hotel in Vampire: The Masquerade- Bloodlines scared the living daylights out of me when I first played it.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
Um... Halo CE. I'd only played multiplayer for the longest time, when I played and fought the Flood, it scared the shit out of me. Didn't help that I was ten at the time... Oh, and Bioshock, but once I got a plasmid I was having too much fun yelling "I am god" and blasting people. A fair bit of fear goes away when you're throwing their friends' corpses back at them.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Oblivion. Zombies scare the piss out of me, no matter what. It's just so unnerving about the lost humanity..

Verex

May 31, 2010
Haha blue. The Flood part just made me scream at my cousin to use all the grenades they have on the freaking map.