School hair lenght rules do you think think its bull?

Ghostshot08

Oct 22, 2008
mike1921 said:
Yea, it's official, my school is different than most. Where I live the bullying is because of how you act not what you wear. You think school shootings stem from clothes?
Do you think school shootings are the result of violent video games? The students who would do such a thing are those who feel like outcast with no other options. If everyone looks the same appearance-based bullying is far less likely. It is not an all encompassing that will fix all bulling problems, rather something to implement where school administrators feel it would do some good.

A dress code and/or hair length restrictions are not the solution to your schools bully problems. Hopefully those who are picked on at your school still have enough in common with others to prevent another tragedy.

Feb 18, 2009
RAKtheUndead said:
When I become dictator of the world, any male with overly-long hair or dyed hair goes under the razor and goes straight to a #2 haircut. I'm not joking.
Define "overly-long hair". I´m afraid I personally have to lead the hairy resistance against your draconian regime...If I cared, that is. Frankly, I don´t. This is turning into a silly debate, which is actually quite fun.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
School hair rules?

What schools have them, and where?

Sorry to be rude, but could you be a bit more explanatory of your thread?
Well My School is planing to do this, And I live in the UK basicly lads can only have hair so long. This is complete Bull, some guys at my school have long hair so what?

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Ghostshot08 said:
mike1921 said:
Yea, it's official, my school is different than most. Where I live the bullying is because of how you act not what you wear. You think school shootings stem from clothes?
Do you think school shootings are the result of violent video games? The students who would do such a thing are those who feel like outcast with no other options. If everyone looks the same appearance-based bullying is far less likely. It is not an all encompassing that will fix all bulling problems, rather something to implement where school administrators feel it would do some good.

A dress code and/or hair length restrictions are not the solution to your schools bully problems. Hopefully those who are picked on at your school still have enough in common with others to prevent another tragedy.
Interesting concept, not one I'd agree with mind. There's a very similar thought in eastern societies, quite pervasive, it goes: If you're bullied, the onus is on you to change the aspect of yourself that caused you to be bullied.

Moreover, I read that personally as: It's not bullies that have a problem with you, it's a trait of yours that causes you to be targeted by bullies.

And while I don't really disagree with that logic, i.e. if something causes you to be singled out, then you remove that something, at the same time, is it hardly a positive thing to encourage giving up what makes you you in order to conform to the highest, or at least a degree whereby you won't get the shit kicked out of you for having long hair etc?

I mean...surely there must be a way to inspire respect for oneself and ones peers without the kind of identity numbing aura that things such as uniforms and mandated haircuts bring with them?

(And keep in mind, in many of the jurisdictions that certain hair lengths are mandatory, it is primarily the male persons who are affected. That is they don't seem to particularly care about females as long as they look neat and pretty (a insulting thought to both genders I'd wager), while it's a-okay to shave a boy's hair because it's 'neater' and goes with the prevailing thought that males can't have nice hairstyles.)

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Ghostshot08 said:
mike1921 said:
Do you think school shootings are the result of violent video games?
Do you think you're being a pre-emptitive idiot? I think they're the results of crazy little fuckers who weren't dealt with properly at some point.
The students who would do such a thing are those who feel like outcast with no other options. If everyone looks the same appearance-based bullying is far less likely.
You think they feel like an outcast because of clothes??? Even house wouldn't suggest such an insane idea. They won't all look the same, they'll just be wearing the same clothes and have similar hair.
It is not an all encompassing that will fix all bulling problems, rather something to implement where school administrators feel it would do some good.
That tiny percent of bullying that won't happen because of clothes isn't worth making everyone wear the same thing.
What the hell?

Highlandheadbanger

Jan 8, 2009
I've never been to one with rules about hair, but I've known administrators that cared more about discipline and appearance then anything of actual academic depth.

Its a shame that this becomes an issue for schools and that students have to put up with this.

Ghostshot08

Oct 22, 2008
GothmogII said:
Ghostshot08 said:
mike1921 said:

Interesting concept, not one I'd agree with mind. There's a very similar thought in eastern societies, quite pervasive, it goes: If you're bullied, the onus is on you to change the aspect of yourself that caused you to be bullied.

Moreover, I read that personally as: It's not bullies that have a problem with you, it's a trait of yours that causes you to be targeted by bullies.

And while I don't really disagree with that logic, i.e. if something causes you to be singled out, then you remove that something, at the same time, is it hardly a positive thing to encourage giving up what makes you you in order to conform to the highest, or at least a degree whereby you won't get the shit kicked out of you for having long hair etc?

I mean...surely there must be a way to inspire respect for oneself and ones peers without the kind of identity numbing aura that things such as uniforms and mandated haircuts bring with them?

(And keep in mind, in many of the jurisdictions that certain hair lengths are mandatory, it is primarily the male persons who are affected. That is they don't seem to particularly care about females as long as they look neat and pretty (a insulting thought to both genders I'd wager), while it's a-okay to shave a boy's hair because it's 'neater' and goes with the prevailing thought that males can't have nice hairstyles.)
You are right, and it is regrettable that such steps must be taken. Again, it is likely in response to an existing problem. If bullying isn't a problem there is no need for strict dress codes. It would be great if individuality could flourish without fear of insults and ridicule. If that isn't the case then the schools are forced to restrict individuality in order to preserve a safe learning environment.

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
I support school dress codes. In most countries it's a constant, not a rarity like in America, and many of those countries (ie Japan) blow the US away in education.

Ryuzix

Jan 21, 2009
Wouldukindly said:
Hair rules? And I thought 'no hats' was fairly stupid enough...oh well, I'm a university student now, so I get to laugh at these things rather then complain about them.
5 years left, only 5 more agonizing years and I'm a free man...

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Ghostshot08 said:
GothmogII said:
Ghostshot08 said:
mike1921 said:

You are right, and it is regrettable that such steps must be taken. Again, it is likely in response to an existing problem. If bullying isn't a problem there is no need for strict dress codes. It would be great if individuality could flourish without fear of insults and ridicule. If that isn't the case then the schools are forced to restrict individuality in order to preserve a safe learning environment.
They're not making the learning environment safe, they're making it slightly safer.

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
Didnt know any school had hair length rules. They certainly havent affected me and my locks.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Now that I'm in my thirties it's a lot easier for me to advocate militaristic and draconian rules about hair length, skirt length, and whatnot. But back when I was 16, I'd have been inciting a riot (literally, and it's a hell of a story) over stuff like that.

Ryuzix

Jan 21, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
To be fair, so are tits.
I'm fairly sure you'd get in trouble for flashing those. But still, it's a stupid rule.
Get in trouble for what, flashing tits or long hair?

WittyName

Jan 3, 2009
ph3onix said:
I have (could be classified as) long hair and I don't give a f*ck
Same, since about 3 years ago and I didn't give a damn about what anyone said to me.
Even when they asked me to tie it back, I just said "No!"

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
At least you don't have a rule that stops guys wearing shorts unless it's the middle of summer.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
orannis62 said:
Bit more info please. I assume you mean a rule that limits the length of your hair. My question is if the allowed length is different depending on gender?
At my school guys can't have their hair touching their eyebrows or ears, and it can't touch the back of their collar. I don't know if girls have limitations, maybe not past the middle of the back?