Science!: Black Holes, Night Vision and Garbage

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
GRoXERs said:
It's just two protons colliding - or roughly... uhh... *does some math* ... 3.64x10^-34 percent of the mass needed for a black hole to last for one second.

In other words, no. The black holes will not kill us all. Good call.
"Less mass than a spoon" is, of course, right. I could add "a lot less", but that's not more correct; just more specific.

Cheers.

The strangelets [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangelet], however... think the end of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Hmm, it says that "we would have already seen such a disaster if it was possible", though. Under "Dangers". So no fireworks for us, "sadly".

Smudge91

Jul 30, 2009
gigastrike said:
Capo Taco said:
I enjoyed the first story the best. Chlorophyl enhanced eyes, where do I sign up?
I'm with this guy. I'd love to be able to see color in the dark.
I third that haha,
OP: this is a really cool article :D

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Doktor Merkwurdigliebe said:
justnotcricket said:
Well, depending on the tree, you might be violently sick (in which case the chlorophyll will never make it into your system) or drop dead (in which case you don't need the chlorophyll). If you can eat the leaves, then chances are the chlorophyll molecules would be broken down metabolically in your liver, or even initially in the acid in your stomach before they made it to your bloodstream, and even then they might not make it to your eye from the inside, as it were. Topical application (eyedrops) would be the more direct route. And as with most of these things, the relationship between the concentration that you might get from eating leaves and the concentration needed in your eye to give the effect might mean that you had to eat like 20 tons of leaves just to see any difference. =)
Regarding the swordsmith, I didn't deny that there is phosphorus in our bones(according to every single yoghurt ad - it is), I just wonder about its use in metallurgy, actually its the first time I hear of such combination.

Now about the chlorophyll - my question is - Isn't it still poisonous? Even if not, it's still vomit-inducing and very hazardous for humans to eat/dring/somehow absorb chlorophyll. It is quite common within the animal kingdom, to eat grass, leaves and chlorophyll-based stuff to purify ones body from various toxins coming with food, as I said before, by vomiting.
Chlorophyll isn't poisonous at all - by vomiting or death I was thinking of other components of leaves that might be less savoury. You get chlorophyll every time you eat lettuce/spinach etc. I was thinking of stuff like foxglove leaves, cherry and rhubarb leaves, hemlock, oak leaves, yew leaves, buttercups...stuff that contains cyano compound or alkaloids, and a few other alarming substances. But for a few bonds and a magnesium atom, chlorophyll is basically the same as haem, the red component of your blood that keeps you alive =)

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Regular and old fashioned news is almost entirely replaced by the Escapist

HateDread

Jan 20, 2009
I take my hat off to this article.

I just found the ending to be quite abrupt. I'm sure that's the point of such articles, but it felt a little odd to me.

Apart from that, it was brilliant! I can't wait to read more!

Congratulations :)

LilGherkin

Aug 15, 2008
justnotcricket said:
LilGherkin said:
So, what I'm getting is that they're making an eye drop that will let me do this that comes from leaf extract. What happens if I just eat a lot of leaves from a tree?
Well, depending on the tree, you might be violently sick (in which case the chlorophyll will never make it into your system) or drop dead (in which case you don't need the chlorophyll). If you can eat the leaves, then chances are the chlorophyll molecules would be broken down metabolically in your liver, or even initially in the acid in your stomach before they made it to your bloodstream, and even then they might not make it to your eye from the inside, as it were. Topical application (eyedrops) would be the more direct route. And as with most of these things, the relationship between the concentration that you might get from eating leaves and the concentration needed in your eye to give the effect might mean that you had to eat like 20 tons of leaves just to see any difference. =)
What if I rub the leaves on my eyes a lot?
[sup]This is scaracstic[/sup]

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Love the new column guys! Now if only I could get Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science" out of my head!

SCIENCE!

Deity1986

Jul 29, 2009
Lauren Admire said:
bodyklok said:
Wait, I though CERN was in Switzerland and just very close to the French boarder? Not actually over it.
Nice catch, you're right, it's just on the border near Geneva.
Most of the LHC is in France and is in fact powered by France; which is why they can't turn it on during the winter because the French need the power for central heating.*

The main building complex is in Switzerland.

*There's also a collider in america somewhere (Florida maybe? I can't remember) that is only used in the winter because the Americans need the power for air conditioning in the summer.

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
Doktor Merkwurdigliebe said:
008Zulu said:
be able to throw fireballs
Now THIS is what scientists should be interested in.
Oh, we try. It is just not exactly easy to do the physics behind are more difficult to achieve than creating a black hole at CERN.

OT: Excellent idea with a science column. Looking forward to the next instalment.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
This was actually really nice I guess I have to go hunt me some dragon fish >:D

I liked the sword part and found it odd because about 7 years ago I had decided when I die I want to have my ashes put into a sword. Perhaps now it's not so much as a wish as a possibility
^^

They say you need to move faster than the speed of light to escape the black hole but you can't go faster than that so we can just resort to futurama tactics and increase the speed of light.

This will be my new Bill Nye

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Lauren Admire said:
I agree, the sword story was a bit of a stretch. But, come on, SWORDS! I had to make it work in any way possible.
Indeed, a bit out of the blue, but you're right! There's a guy out there making swords out of bones! Someone has to talk about it!

Anyway, I love your writing style, and I'm such a geek for such science articles. How often will these get released?
Also, ANOTHER column! The Escapist has so many columns now that I just spend more time reading the Escapist than all my other RSS feeds combined. I love it.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Silva said:
Hmm, it says that "we would have already seen such a disaster if it was possible", though. Under "Dangers". So no fireworks for us, "sadly".
Oh shush. I'll be terrified if I want to be.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Lauren Admire said:
Please exercise caution when entering and exiting, and keep your hands and feet away from the edges.

Read Full Article
If I didn't always read the warnings afterwards this column wouldn't have cost me a foot!
OT: Great new addition; a definite keeper!!!

warbaloon

Aug 11, 2009
looks like I'll be forced to read it every week

slightly expected the term "resonance cascade" to be used somewhere in the article

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Lauren Admire said:
CERN: NO WAI! YOU GUYZ R DUM LOL THE BLACK HOLE WUD BE SO SMALL IT WUD COLLAPSE IN ON ITSELF MROW.
How did you get a copy of this transcript? Only a select few were invited and we were told not to let anybody know what went on.
samsonguy920 said:
Lauren Admire said:
I agree, the sword story was a bit of a stretch. But, come on, SWORDS! I had to make it work in any way possible.
I like the thought of preserving the memory of a loved one in something actually utilitarian, especially cool like a sword. What else might one use a deceased relatives remains to help create?
You know, this sword article goes really well with the news about that college kid slaying a burglar with his katana. Defeat your enemies and then trap their souls for eternity!