Science Explains Tsundere Appeal

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Animes just take the Tsundere persona a bit too far. I know that statement itself is redundant, but bear with me here.

I can understand why it's appealing. Romantically speaking, if you're trying to talk to a girl who's a total ***** at first but you like her a lot, you're gonna keep trying. When she opens up to you, it will be a HUGE step forward, which is stimulating. That has already been covered.
This just means you'll want to keep on trying to discover more about this girl and maybe vice versa. It's not rocket science. if a girl is a ***** through and through, then you're just gonna give up eventually. If a girl is nice all the time, then...yay, that was easy. But we all like a challenge.

It's funny because I kinda have a tsundere-like relationship with a girl right now. I like her and I wish nothing more than to proclaim my love, but there are some thing that stop me from doing that. Yet. And I get the feeling she likes me too, but she could unsure about my feeling because, well, I can be a dick at times. Also, I mentioned once that if I ever liked a girl, I'd like to be the first one to make a move. Which kinda came back to bite me in the butt now.
Anyway, we bicker back and forth sometimes and we're kinda opposites but we're also kinda best friends. And apparently, a LOT of people find this incredibly amusing, often doing the whole "You like each otheeeer!" tease, that we deny, of course.

I gotta admit. It's fun and exciting. It's also sad and depressing, But kinda addicting too. So I can kinda see why that's all otaku's wet dream and why this whole thing is so popular. If executed correctly and instead of being used to replace a character's persona, this could be an interesting plot or whatever.

But again, anime shows the extremes, where a girl hits a guy with a boulder and then proceeds to have an awkward, romantic moment with him, just a few seconds later. And then you just know that everything will be resolved by the finale, where everyone will finally expose their true feelings and the tsundere personality will cease to exist. I'm looking at you, Ranma 1/2...
[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]That also happens to be my favorite anime. [/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]
XandNobody said:
Still, the heck Grey, you linked to TVTropes in a news article? Don't you know that site is like crack!? There goes writing on my paper anymore tonight...
OH MY GATO! THIS IS TRUE!

I have an assignment due tomorrow...and I've been reading stuff from that site for the last hour and a half! Ugghh, not again! D:

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I began assuming this some time ago. It really isn't that huge of a difficult thing to figure out. I would add that it also mixes in with all kinds of sexual kinks in my opinion, and the desire for a strong female character who isn't too strong to be cute. I saw an explanation that related it to something about how tsunderes have a budding sexuality that they are just learning how to express, which is something else I see as part of why people like them so much.

On a side note, Grey, I continue to find the disproportionately large number of your articles that are related to Japan in some way suspicious.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, good romance stories need drama. Even bad ones.

Every romance story ever either has them starting off as hating each other, or being in love, breaking up, and getting back together. Or nobody reads it.

I've read alot of back covers of romance books and they are all the same that way. Oh, and he's rich, and from somewhere exotic...in one case the author seemed to think Wales was exotic.

Oh, and being a secret billionaire is not an adaquately terrible secret that threatens to destroy their love!

JuliusMagnus

Mar 23, 2008
Well, theres this german proverb:
"was sich liebt, das neckt sich"

"those who love another, tease another"

Admittedly, it seemed to be used by gradeschool teachers to keep kids from picking on one another: "you're picking on him/her quite alot, you must be very fond of him/her"

Murlin

I came here to laugh at you
Jul 15, 2009
Chemical Alia said:
I wonder if science can explain my genuine hate for anime and all the stupid cookie-cutter cliches that come with it.
It's called personal taste, and science says it's good to have it, gives you personality.
Not sure why you feel like posting it here though. You have a right to free expression but I don't think you gain much from posting "I don't like anime" and nothing else on an anime related article .

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Hey! Moe isn't all about meek and submissive!

Just ask My Lady Vita-sama. [http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/Davekun1991/Anime/Smaller%20Anime%20pictures/MahouShoujoLyricalNanoha10.jpg] Except don't call her that. You don't want to be on the receiving end of that hammer of hers.

[small]Trust me.[/small]

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
deidara said:
I hate tsundere characters. And yes that most definitely includes taiga from Toradora. (People seem to LOVE her >.>). A tsundere is not an appropriate replacement for good character development. And the sad thing is I can't blame those results on the test group, people actually do like these characters. :(
You know it's pretty hard to take a post seriously when it includes emotes... especially any of the emotes with dot mouths...They're all so hideous -.- >.> <.<

-Dragmire- said:
Torrasque said:
Science: they do what they can, because they can.

I'm glad you mentioned Louise from Zero no Tsukaima because she is the perfect poster girl for Tsundere. Not only because of her obvious treatment of Saito, but because of all the "aside" drama you see where she shows affection towards him. Tsukiumi from Sekirei would probably be my #2 spot for favorite Tsundere character.
I've always found Tsundere appealing because it is so damned entertaining to see the rage/love go back and forth.
The voice actress of Louise tends to portray that role quite a bit though the only other example I can think of right now is Shana from Shakugan no Shana(tan).
Eh, Shana was only really tsundere for like 4 episodes of the first season, and even then she was more "I don't give a fuck" and passive than "I HATE YOU FOR EXISTING...BURN OUT YOU FUCKING TORCH" and aggressive. Kugimiya Rie was Taiga from Toradora and Nagi from Hayate the combat butler though .

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Torrasque said:
hydroblitz said:
Chemical Alia said:
Grey Carter said:

It's worth noting that not every person who treats you like dirt is trying to hide a deep-rooted romanitc attraction that they just can't admit to. Some people just genuinely hate you.

I wonder if science can explain my genuine hate for anime and all the stupid cookie-cutter cliches that come with it.

I wonder if science can explain why people consistently click on articles and threads concerning things they don't like/things that piss them off, just so they can comment and ***** about them.
Don't worry, there will be plenty of ME3 boards to saturate with ignorant hate for the next few weeks :D

And theres March Mayhem, which just adds to the fun.

DeMorquist

Dec 15, 2011
Chemical Alia said:
Grey Carter said:

It's worth noting that not every person who treats you like dirt is trying to hide a deep-rooted romanitc attraction that they just can't admit to. Some people just genuinely hate you.

So much win can be found in this sentence...I read it 5x over just to chuckle at it.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
As annoying as this is probably going to be to some people, I just have to let my inner fan boy out for a moment, as the article picture is from one of my favorite series....

The picture you used for this Article is of Senjogahara Hitagi, who's Tsundere status is actually in dispute. She just says tsundere a lot, and is actually just your typical ice queen. At best she is a Kuudere, and at worst an Yandere...

Okay, fanboying done and over with.
PLEASE DONT HURT ME

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
I absolutely can't stand tsundere characters.
I don't mind characters with a negative/aggressive attitude if they're at least consistent but constant mood changes just irritate and aggravate me. Or maybe it's the fact that the protagonists remain sympathetic towards them most of the times, (seemingly) completely disregarding their behavior.
Sometimes I even stop watching a series because there is too much tsundere for me to handle, recent examples being Oreimo and Toradora.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Torrasque said:
hydroblitz said:
Chemical Alia said:
Grey Carter said:

I wonder if science can explain why people consistently click on articles and threads concerning things they don't like/things that piss them off, just so they can comment and ***** about them.
Don't worry, there will be plenty of ME3 boards to saturate with ignorant hate for the next few weeks :D
Gentlemen,

OT: Huh, that actually makes a lot of sense, thanks for the article!

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
************ linked me to TvTropes, now I can kiss all the shit I planned away.

I spend 7 hours reading stuff on there, must stay away from multi-tabbed browsing.

On subject though I see the appeal of tsundere girls, you know how girls tease and pretend not to like the one they like.
(Also applies to young boys being nasty to the girls they like on the playground).

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
Tsundere is smalltime. Yandere's where it's at.

'But Hisao, I have to break your legs, or you'd run off with some other girl! Now we can be together forever and ever and ever! Right, Hisao? Right?'

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
GamerLuck said:
As annoying as this is probably going to be to some people, I just have to let my inner fan boy out for a moment, as the article picture is from one of my favorite series....

The picture you used for this Article is of Senjogahara Hitagi, who's Tsundere status is actually in dispute. She just says tsundere a lot, and is actually just your typical ice queen. At best she is a Kuudere, and at worst an Yandere...

Okay, fanboying done and over with.
PLEASE DONT HURT ME
STONE HIM.

Jk, I agree, Hitagi's not really a tsundere. It's also worth noting that Bakemonogatari doesn't really fall in line with any typical anime, it's very arthouse-y. Also that episode 9 or whenever they go to that park is one of the best directed anime episodes I have seen.

I've become really cynical of Anime/Manga, I used to do a lot of reviewing in the past, before I lost all of my time to med school. I found myself reading a lot of first chapters and watching a lot of first episodes and just throwing them out. Every shounen is either a typical DBZ-esque story or a stupid harem love comedy with interchangeable characters. Every shoujo is ordinary/genki girl meets sexy playboy/strange boy/kind boy with dark past. The few ones that deviate from this formula are the only ones I give a chance to. If their characters don't cut it, then I'm gone. You still find a lot of interesting character development and narrative style in manga, you just have to dig for it.

It's also worth noting that Korean Webcomics are generally AMAZING. If you want to read something fantastic, go read "Can't see, Can't hear, but love." A story about an artist who goes blind.

Taddy

Jan 28, 2010
I spot a link to TV-Tropes. We're all doomed i say! DOOOOOOOOOMED! On the other hand, interesting.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Might explain why I'm starting to like not hate Jaime Lannister in Game of Thrones.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Props for the Helga example. Despite tsundere being more of an anime thing, she fits the trope to a t, and is exactly the character I use when describing it to someone else.

May 17, 2010
Stupid article it's not like I like reading you I was just bored.....(luminescent blush) baka!

so basically because there is a contrast and change people like it? Fair enough.

Senjougahara isn't a tsundere though, she puts on a tsundere attitude to be more sexy in certain cases but she is much closer to Kuudere/Yandere IMHO, though even that fails to properly understand her