Science Explains Tsundere Appeal

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
OT: I admire only a few tsundere characters.. yet the problem with them most of the time is that their moods chance to dramatically without a story building up so it's literally just a bipolar thing. Unless they have a reason to be so mood-swift, or different at times for the worst or so.. they should remain mysterious so people will want to know them more with curiosity.
I like some tsundere because the characters are awesome, not because they are tsundere; like Langley Soryu for being a kickass pilot, college grad by her own efforth while also being the most reliable EVA operator, or Kusanagi (to Batou at least) because she is awesome at everything all the time.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I usually think these types of psychological studies are pretty silly but as someone whose had two girls in their life initially act bitchy and mean but ultimately only because they wanted my attention well, I hate to say it but theirs probably an element of truth to the whole thing.

I was certainly glad to discover their true feelings towards me but I dunno looking back it probably would have been nicer if they had just told me what was up right away instead of constantly bugging me for weeks on end. Then again being male I was probably stupidly oblivious to certain signs at the time too lol.

deidara

Nov 23, 2011
mike1921 said:
deidara said:
I hate tsundere characters. And yes that most definitely includes taiga from Toradora. (People seem to LOVE her >.>). A tsundere is not an appropriate replacement for good character development. And the sad thing is I can't blame those results on the test group, people actually do like these characters. :(
You know it's pretty hard to take a post seriously when it includes emotes... especially any of the emotes with dot mouths...They're all so hideous -.- >.> <.<
Yeah, it's almost as if I disliked the character in some way...

Mathak said:
Tsundere is smalltime. Yandere's where it's at.

'But Hisao, I have to break your legs, or you'd run off with some other girl! Now we can be together forever and ever and ever! Right, Hisao? Right?'
Lmao. I don't mind yandere's as much as tsundere's, as at least they're honest and forward. (Probably TOO forward, but I digress.) And let's face it, Yuno is what makes Future Diary interesting. (Other than 12th and Aru of course <3)

Anoni Mus said:
deidara said:
I hate tsundere characters. And yes that most definitely includes taiga from Toradora. (People seem to LOVE her >.>). A tsundere is not an appropriate replacement for good character development. And the sad thing is I can't blame those results on the test group, people actually do like these characters. :(
x2 I also dislike tsunderes and Taiga. And the anime is so cliche and predictable because of her.

But there can be good tsunderes, look at Eri form School Rumble, a perfect Tsundere.
Eri is definitely a better character. She's not my favourite in the show, but she's not my least favourite either, as tsundere's tend to be. (Lala is clearly the worst character in the series.)

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
deidara said:
mike1921 said:
deidara said:
You know it's pretty hard to take a post seriously when it includes emotes... especially any of the emotes with dot mouths...They're all so hideous -.- >.> <.<

...I don't know if this is totally irrelevant or if you just didn't explain your reasoning. If you're saying the faces are supposed to be ugly as a response to Taiga.....Why not go all the way and post pictures of Brian Peppers as emotes. Like I'm not saying these faces aren't pretty and thus show disapproval, I'm saying they're just hideous

deidara

Nov 23, 2011
mike1921 said:
deidara said:
mike1921 said:
deidara said:
...I don't know if this is totally irrelevant or if you just didn't explain your reasoning. If you're saying the faces are supposed to be ugly as a response to Taiga.....Why not go all the way and post pictures of Brian Peppers as emotes. Like I'm not saying these faces aren't pretty and thus show disapproval, I'm saying they're just hideous
Well I could show some anime chick vomiting to show my disapproval. But naturally two arrows and a full stop are far more hideous.

[The]Rock

Jan 12, 2011
It's kind of crushing to be able to guess the content of an article just by the title, it's ruining my enjoyment.

DAMN THE FACT I STUDY PSYCHOLOGY!

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Chemical Alia said:
Grey Carter said:

It's worth noting that not every person who treats you like dirt is trying to hide a deep-rooted romanitc attraction that they just can't admit to. Some people just genuinely hate you.

I wonder if science can explain my genuine hate for anime and all the stupid cookie-cutter cliches that come with it.

What? This isn't an "anime" thing, this is an attraction to a particular sort of personality and the traits associated with it. Just because it happens to be used in anime doesn't mean it doesn't fold back over onto real life. How many times have you come across people acting coldly towards someone they have a romantic attraction to in, say, American sitcoms, or British dramas? It is not an anime institution and that you think it is shows only that you hate it and want to attach as much negative tropes onto it as possible, convincing yourself that they're exclusive to the medium.

Urameshi13

Jan 18, 2011
As an anime fan, I say this. FUCK MOEBLOB NONSENSE!

Also, love the picture you chose for the article. She's one of my favorite characters.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
Beautiful End said:
a girl who's a total ***** at first but you like her a lot
Here's where you lose me. If shes a total ***** to you why would you like her?
As in, she's physically attractive. We see this everyday with celebrities who are absolutely gorgeous, but their personalities are completely different. I'd think there's a part of us who, if given then chance, would try and pursue this attractive girl. We just can't help it, hence the term attraction. Even if she has a rotten personality at first, we might still be willing to give it a shot in hopes of something better.

Well, that's the way I see it.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Oh, really, this is an observable phenomenon? Huh. Explains my dating history, then.

Also:
Mathak said:
Tsundere is smalltime. Yandere's where it's at.

'But Hisao, I have to break your legs, or you'd run off with some other girl! Now we can be together forever and ever and ever! Right, Hisao? Right?'
Oh, you sunnuva.......you got me into a tvtropes clickfest having to look up "yandere". Jerk.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Damn you science, always 'splainin' stuff that already has been explained. then linking us to TvTropes, just to ensure we don't do anything else for the rest of the day.....

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Grey Carter said:
...or if you require a less esoteric example, Helga from Hey Arnold!...
So I guess Arnold was like, (shudder) "Eyebrows..."

Anywho, I guess I'm at that age where if a girl woman comes off as tsundere I'd totally be like "Not worth it". Totally.

shimyia

Oct 1, 2010
Chemical Alia said:
Grey Carter said:

It's worth noting that not every person who treats you like dirt is trying to hide a deep-rooted romanitc attraction that they just can't admit to. Some people just genuinely hate you.

I wonder if science can explain my genuine hate for anime and all the stupid cookie-cutter cliches that come with it.

have u ever seen a good anime?

it's not all stupid cookie-cutter cliches, well, there are TONS of bullshit anime but...
try watching something that is actually really good, for example: "Monster", "Death Note" (but in this one, there is a high degree of fantasy), or "GTO (great teacher Onizuka)" (if u want to laugh out loud for a lil bit

i can agree with u at a point (the fact of UBER-cheesines and dumb cliches) and that's the reason y i don't really watch anime anymore but i still like my favourite ones (not only the ones above).

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Chemical Alia said:
Grey Carter said:

Yes. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_retardation]

see, i can do it too.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
One more way I just don't understand most people... I get tired of those sorts of people very, very quickly in real life. In entertainment they can create humorous situations, but usually just by creating schadenfreude centered on whoever has to deal with 'em.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
evilneko said:
Hey! Moe isn't all about meek and submissive!

Just ask My Lady Vita-sama. [http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/Davekun1991/Anime/Smaller%20Anime%20pictures/MahouShoujoLyricalNanoha10.jpg] Except don't call her that. You don't want to be on the receiving end of that hammer of hers.

[small]Trust me.[/small]
Vita=Moe-GAR. And it WORKS!

On topic. I don't think I have much of an opinion on tsundere either way.
I kinda like Lucky Star's Kagami because I think it's kinda cute when she gets all flustered over stuff.
I find Shana okay but slightly grating with some overuse of her "Shut up (urusai)" X3 catch phrase.
Natsume from Hidarami Sketch is just amusing because she's way overdoing it to hide the fact that she likes Sae. It's nice when she gets to smile a bit in the extra episodes.
Asuka from Evangelion is a bit too far tsun for me to sympathize with her.

These would me the most notable examples I can think of. Every other character of this archetype doesn't quite overdo enough for me to label them for their tsundere tendencies. They just occasionally do that pouty glance away face. I don't think I watched many shows with notable tsunderes now that I think about it. That, or I really don't care enough.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Grey I just love your articles and your use of Tsundere-chan as the header image.
Grey Carter said:
I-it's not like I studied this social phenomena because I like you or anything!
I can see the end

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
JGC, baby, I gotta tell ya. Helga might look like a tsundere on the surface, but given her "certain past times and outlets" when treating Arnold as the object of her affection, I can't help but think there's more yan than tsun. Just sayin'.

For that reason, she may be the most awesome specimen ever conceived in the tsundere/yandere debate. I call it tsunderyan.