Science Explains Tsundere Appeal

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Your title pic isn't Tsundere though, she is just "strange" but we love her anyway. :p It seem everyone has their own definition of "Tsundere", just like the term "moe".

IMO Tsunderes are awesome because they are just so cute. They are freaking adorable when there is a "breach" in their brash facade and they start trying to explain things away while red as a tomato. There is something incredible endearing about that.

And your typical Tsundere isn't really all that different from your typical anime girl. Their brash attitude is just a facade, a mask to hide/denial how they really are, underneath they are typically sweet as heck. The same can be said of Kuuderes, just replace the aggressive attitude with a icy dismissive one.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
This was actually a pretty interesting article. It should be noted (and I think it was), that this isn't really an anime thing, so much as a real behavioral phenomenon. Sometimes people don't know how to handle feelings for another person, so it translates into aggressive behavior towards that person. I didn't realize people actually found that appealing though

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Mathak said:
Tsundere is smalltime. Yandere's where it's at.

'But Hisao, I have to break your legs, or you'd run off with some other girl! Now we can be together forever and ever and ever! Right, Hisao? Right?'
You win 2 Internets.

OT: Great. More cliches that we don't need, I have one guy in my school who is trying something like this on every girl he sees. More of a reverse, but... gah.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
deidara said:
mike1921 said:
deidara said:
mike1921 said:
deidara said:
I hate tsundere characters. And yes that most definitely includes taiga from Toradora. (People seem to LOVE her >.>). A tsundere is not an appropriate replacement for good character development. And the sad thing is I can't blame those results on the test group, people actually do like these characters. :(
You know it's pretty hard to take a post seriously when it includes emotes... especially any of the emotes with dot mouths...They're all so hideous -.- >.> <.<
Yeah, it's almost as if I disliked the character in some way...
...I don't know if this is totally irrelevant or if you just didn't explain your reasoning. If you're saying the faces are supposed to be ugly as a response to Taiga.....Why not go all the way and post pictures of Brian Peppers as emotes. Like I'm not saying these faces aren't pretty and thus show disapproval, I'm saying they're just hideous
Well I could show some anime chick vomiting to show my disapproval. But naturally two arrows and a full stop are far more hideous.
Madotsuki vomiting isn't just there looking hideous and conveying nothing else though. It's displaying my disgust at that hideous thing. I am disgusted by that emote, I doubt your response to taiga is to turn ugly as sin. But yes I do think that emote is much more hideous than the vommit.

deidara

Nov 23, 2011
"It's not because I like you or anything" may be the most annoying line in all of anime.

mike1921 said:
deidara said:
mike1921 said:
deidara said:
mike1921 said:
deidara said:
I hate tsundere characters. And yes that most definitely includes taiga from Toradora. (People seem to LOVE her >.>). A tsundere is not an appropriate replacement for good character development. And the sad thing is I can't blame those results on the test group, people actually do like these characters. :(
You know it's pretty hard to take a post seriously when it includes emotes... especially any of the emotes with dot mouths...They're all so hideous -.- >.> <.<
...I don't know if this is totally irrelevant or if you just didn't explain your reasoning. If you're saying the faces are supposed to be ugly as a response to Taiga.....Why not go all the way and post pictures of Brian Peppers as emotes. Like I'm not saying these faces aren't pretty and thus show disapproval, I'm saying they're just hideous
Well I could show some anime chick vomiting to show my disapproval. But naturally two arrows and a full stop are far more hideous.
Madotsuki vomiting isn't just there looking hideous and conveying nothing else though. It's displaying my disgust at that hideous thing. I am disgusted by that emote, I doubt your response to taiga is to turn ugly as sin. But yes I do think that emote is much more hideous than the vommit.
Even ignoring the blatantly Ad Hominem nature of your original post, I think it's more reasonable to hate a fictional character who tainted an otherwise great 24 episode anime series with her presence, than two arrows and a full stop. Yes my response to Taiga isn't to start vomiting uncontrollably, but if your response to an emote(which isn't even animated), is anything even close to that, then perhaps you may wanna vent your rather strange hatred somewhere other than a completely unrelated thread.

Akimoto said:
OT: Great. More cliches that we don't need, I have one guy in my school who is trying something like this on every girl he sees. More of a reverse, but... gah.
Come to think of it I don't remember ever seeing a guy Tsundere in anime lol. At least it would be a change of pace from Taiga and Kirino if nothing else...

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
deidara said:
"It's not because I like you or anything" may be the most annoying line in all of anime.

mike1921 said:
deidara said:
mike1921 said:
deidara said:
mike1921 said:
deidara said:
Even ignoring the blatantly Ad Hominem nature of your original post, I think it's more reasonable to hate a fictional character who tainted an otherwise great 24 episode anime series with her presence, than two arrows and a full stop. Yes my response to Taiga isn't to start vomiting uncontrollably, but if your response to an emote(which isn't even animated), is anything even close to that, then perhaps you may wanna vent your rather strange hatred somewhere other than a completely unrelated thread.
My original post was about not taking your post seriously because of emoticons, not your opinion on taiga. You probably wouldn't take something that was reeten lyk dis either.

Quite frankly I think those emotes are the most annoying internet trend in a long time. I think they are so incredibly annoying that they should always be brought up whenever they are used that somehow you

But now that I haven't seen any annoying or hideous emoticons for a while, Toradora is now actually on my mind when reading your post as opposed to "I can't believe something can be so simple, made of only 5 lines and yet be so ugly". So...

It's a little weird to say such a central character tainted the show. Ruined it maybe, but the show is entirely about her relationship with Ryuuji growing and there's really not much left without her in there. Like she is no where near the hook that keeps you in the series like Ryuuji is but I don't see what you could possibly see as so bad about her.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Redlin5 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
GAAAAAAH!!! A thread about TvTropes and now a news article with a link TO TvTropes, what are you trying to do to me Escapist?!
Everyone here is tied into a conspiracy to steal away your free time for our master plan. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage]

Hey look, a video about SCIENCE! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage]
You sir, are evil.

-slow clap-

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Now we just need someone to figure out what makes anime fans claim characters they like as their "waifus" (god, that word makes me cringe...) and actually get protective of them and jealous if someone else likes that character.

Seriously, that's the problem we need to look into.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Yay, weeaboo topic. Wai~!
Mathak said:
Tsundere is smalltime. Yandere's where it's at.
I agree with this sentiment. Never been huge on the tsundere personality. Yandere has always been much more fun, to me.

But they're both pretty cool, in their own ways.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Chemical Alia said:
Grey Carter said:

It's worth noting that not every person who treats you like dirt is trying to hide a deep-rooted romanitc attraction that they just can't admit to. Some people just genuinely hate you.

I wonder if science can explain my genuine hate for anime and all the stupid cookie-cutter cliches that come with it.

This, and more this.

Oh, and the lazy animation. Maybe it bothers me more than it should but to me it feels like I'm being telepathically raped by stupid.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I'm not even going to deny this. It makes sense and I am a sucker for these type of characters. And I hate myself enough for it so you dont have to.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Damn.... my first 2 girlfriends were tsundere now that I think about it...

...makes sense to me.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I'd think that this would apply just as well to "moe" characters as well, though.

If a moe character is initially shy but opens up over the course of a video, that'd be similarly appealing compared to an initially bitchy character slowly becoming nicer over the course of a video.