Science Says Gamers are Fat, Depressed Losers

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
What are the chances that a few months down the line it'll turn out the people conducting it are actually anti-games or w/e (like most of them are) and haven't conducted a non-biased experiment.

Having said there does seem to be a lot of gamers who are overweight and socially backwards (ie. can't talk to other people unless on msn, etc.).

And yes I did just contradict myself. Sort of.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
How dare they insult us like that! I'll kick their collective asses... if I can be bothered to leave the house. Ah, screw it. They'd probably beat me anyway...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
ThePirateMan said:
Thank you scientists.. I guess.. I'll just go back to my life as a none depressed skinny person that still plays games.
Same here. I guess I'm not an average sized tall guy who enjoys hiking and climbing as well as gaming after all, I'm some fat dude who eats pizza and stays shut up in his room all this time (not that there's anything wrong with pizza). I've lived my life completely the wrong way for all these years. I'd better change my lifestyle so these guys are right, thanks for warning us.

Where the hell did they get their data from anyway? WoW Anonymous?

[small]Disclaimer: The use of WoW as an example in this post was based around the stereotype uninformed idiots have about WoW players and gamers in general. Although I do not play WoW, I am aware that those who do are not necessarily fat or lazy and may in fact be socially accepted and healthy human beings.
Note the use of the words 'may' and 'be'.[/small]

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
People with sedentary hobbies are going to be less healthy than people with active hobbies.

Millions of dollars well spent.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
In the words of John Cavil: "Really? Ya think? Please continue stating the perfectly obvious, it fills me with confidence."

It's a frigging waste of money.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Ah bullshit I am impervious in your attempts to burn my retinas anymore.

I know I'm not the absolute picturesque of 20 year old Female health. But I'm far from miserable, or fat.
Pathetic study.

Once again the factor of 'How much' and 'What else' has been casually over looked to churn out a number to satisfy the nagging grannies and grandpas of the world. Sad.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Huzzah for scientific studies telling us the things we already knew, but scientifically! These kinds of things get published all the time because someone decides to get grant money from the government to fund an "experiment" but they just make up some results and then blow the cash on video games (probably) and hookers (most likely).

This just in! Scientists have a lot of time on their hands!

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
what is actually wrong is the fact that you have to be a skinny south korean to be a gamer, otherwise its bullshit to call yourself one.

vonwenck

Aug 15, 2009
i mean the stuff they say is true if you are completly sucked into a game like WoW like i was and only bad things were happening but the thing the study misses is that there are different types and levels of gamers and shoving them all into the same pot is just wrong, and saying people who play are depressed is so wrong gaming is what makes me happyer i would probally be depressed without them

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
I really don't see the point in this study. Is it to prove that games do cause a bad lifestyle? Or that playing video games are the RESULT of a bad or troubled lifestyle?

Seriously, those researchers need to fuck off. Who do they think they are to judge and label the majority of gamers as physically and socially unhealthy people? They think THEY are superior or living the right way? Fuck them, everyone has their reasons to play. If they love to play games it's perfectly alright and everyone else should stop demeaning or condemning them.

Seriously, many people I know who play games are pretty socially active as well as physically active, including me. I would actually prefer to go out with friends or family than to stay home and play games. But I do play games because it's a another simple PASTIME when you don't have anything else to do.

In all seriousness, all gamers should disregard these ridiculous conclusions, or stupid trials to demean others of a different lifestyle that they consider inferior. Fascists...

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
500 people? Fuck off, that's nowhere near enough to draw a conclusion. We need a good many thousand to get it anywhere near a respectable experiment.