Science Says Gamers are Fat, Depressed Losers

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
I actually have a BMI that's on the lower end of the healthy range. But BMI does not mean anything. Also, correlation does not imply causation. Just because there is a coincedental trend between two things, does not mean that they are directly related.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Nice to know they got me pegged down with such accuracy. Wait, I'm not depressed (it's even official, got the papers to prove it) nor fat. And loser? Well, I got to wonder about that. I certainly don't count myself as one.

So really, how nice of them to know exactly what I'm supposed to be like when they've never met me. Of course, I could just be the exception to the rule, but somehow I doubt that.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
I prefer to think I have higher expectations of what reality should offer than that I'm depressed. I feel more down than non-gamers because I expect the world to be bigger and better and more beautiful because my mind is open to possibilities...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

hansari

May 31, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
I go to the gym five times a week, out every friday or saturday, and play American Football, and I abuse games. And I know I'm not in the minority...
Thats why I have a hard time taking these things seriously...

Gamers come in all shapes and sizes. Back at the dorms, we set up our systems and some 20-30 people walk in/out any given day. Only two of them are "overweight".

(meanwhile, the guy with a six pack organizes it... :p )

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Wow, I'll sure feel better about my poor grandmother's torn rotator cuff, ruminatioid artheritis, and recurring lung cancer after knowing this!

/sarcasm

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Science is always going to say "gamez r bad, teh gamez make joo de fattie."

But thats because they have nothing better to do than blame everything they can think of on vidio games.

Cancer?
Grand theft auto.

Murder?
Halo.

Fat?
WOW......Ok that one may be true, but still.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Seeing as I'm;

Not fat.

Went to a BBQ with booze last night.

That's a lie, or I'm an anomaly.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Dammit, how did they find out? I was so careful in covering my tracks.

riskroWe

May 12, 2009
I once stopped playing video games for a full few weeks, and I was still a depressed loner. My grades improved though.

DarkLordofDevon

May 11, 2008
Congratulations. They have discovered a stereo-type. Honestly, who funds this kind of research... What are its practical applications? Yes, many gamers are fat, depressed losers. I fail to see how this opens new windows into scientific discovery...

As someone who borders on the anorexic I defy this stereo-type. Just because over 50% of the statistical population follow said trend, doesn't mean everyone does. Besides, they surveyed 500 people. I'd guess they were all from the same area, same cultural background. Not a very conclusive examination I'm sure.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Loser? up to speculation. Depressed? when the mood takes me. Overweight? rule of thumb: If you can still see the full monty, then you're alright.

"I guess the internet for social support" may hold some weight with me.

hansari said:
Gamers come in all shapes and sizes. Back at the dorms, we set up our systems and some 20-30 people walk in/out any given day. Only two of them are "overweight".
(meanwhile, the guy with a six pack organizes it... :p )
Take that Science!

Feb 13, 2008
Ok, EPIC FAIL on 3 counts:

1) Could it be that low health leads to gaming rather than the other way round? Given that sport is quite difficult for those of us, say, that are ill?
2) How is play-related different from play? Oh, I forgot, it's not the GOVERNMENT SANCTIONED PLAY THAT WE SHOULD ALL BE DOING FOR OUR CHILDREN AND OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN. Give me a break.
3) Scientists tell gamers that they should be more social. Personally, that made me lol.
Mr. Pot, I have a Mr. Kettle on MSN. He's informing you that your status is black.

Feb 13, 2008
Actually, and you'll see why this is a separate post, the CDC (How can you have Centers? Surely that's a contradiction?) has some wonderful information on DANGEROUS TERRORS [http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Dog-Bites/biteprevention.html] like ...being bitten by a dog.

To help prevent children from being bitten by dogs, teach the following basic safety tips and review them regularly:

* Do not approach an unfamiliar dog.
* Do not run from a dog or scream.
* Remain motionless (e.g., "be still like a tree") when approached by an unfamiliar dog.
* If knocked over by a dog, roll into a ball and lie still (e.g., "be still like a log").
* Do not play with a dog unless supervised by an adult.
* Immediately report stray dogs or dogs displaying unusual behavior to an adult.
* Avoid direct eye contact with a dog.
* Do not disturb a dog that is sleeping, eating, or caring for puppies.
* Do not pet a dog without allowing it to see and sniff you first.
* If bitten, immediately report the bite to an adult.

How big is the problem?

* About 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year.
* Almost one in five of those who are bitten :a total of 885,000: require medical attention for dog bite-related injuries.
* In 2006, more than 31,000 people underwent reconstructive surgery as a result of being bitten by dogs.
Now, if we roughly assume that reconstructive surgery is not required for gamers, and that BMI is medically inaccurate for a number of reasons I can cite,(Mainly that it's a height/weight ratio rather than a %fat.) wouldn't the CDC's findings show that playing games isn't as dangerous as being bitten by a dog?

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
I may be depressed, and I may be a loser

but I'm not fat!

(Though to be honest, that's probably because I'm too lazy to get up and eat.)