Science Suggests We're Living in the Matrix

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
The whole thing sounds cool and all, just a few criticisms.

If a simulation is shut down, all meta-simulations within it will also cease to exist. How come all simulations above us are held intact?

Also, in order for a simulation to be run, it needs a purpose. As of right now, our universe doesn't seem to have any other purpose other than an accelerating enthropy into the cold, dark nothingness.

Thirdly, if this is a simulation, magic should exist. By magic, I mean phenomenas that cleraly breaks the laws of nature without any possible explanation. The problem is that all 'supernatural' phenomena that has been witness, has also been explained by science.

Another thing that catches my attention, is that this suggestion stems from the fact that the universe contains a limited amount of energy. Wat?

All in all, I consider the idea of simulated realities to be wishful thinking, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless. So I think it's still a good idea if we ponder upon this idea in order to understand the world a little bit better.

Then we run into the question whether we are programs or users.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Honestly, it doesn't remind me of The Matrix as much as it reminds me of The Thirteenth Floor.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139809/

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid. You're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to close this browser. And then I'm gonna show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm gonna show them the world. Without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world... where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I'll leave to you.

Dununun Dununun Dununun

But seriously, I counter this argument with "I think therefore I am". I've heard this theory before and it's great if you're a deep thinker. I however cannot afford that luxury. So I'll continue living my life, not expecting to be jolted awake into futureworld.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
Gee, that sure is...not compelling at all.

Seriously, looking at what the scientists actually say, this is a major stretch and it's nothing knew.

"This might be a simulation?"
"Why?"
"...Because it might be!"

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Gilhelmi said:
YES, PROOF OF GOD!!! OK, but really now. Think about it, someone needs too be on the "outside" observing our behavior. Wipe your memories while in the program too see how you truly behave, then send you too the appropriate "afterlife". This might even explain reincarnation (or rebirth), sending us through the "program" until we complete it (ie universe is destroyed).

I do not believe in this theory, But I do believe in God, and if this were true then the Master truly does have a good sense of humor.
This is taking about an advanced form of shit we can already do (running simulations), not supernatural powers. Not to mention it basically eliminates all the other stuff people like to pretend gods are supposed to be good for (figures of moral superiority and whatnot).

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
Old news is ooooold.

Seriously though, this simulation theory has existed for a while. It's not some new study that just came out. If it is possible to simulate self-awareness and an entire universe, then we are almost certainly in such a simulation right now.

Unless of course, it isn't possible to simulate self-awareness, which I personally believe it isn't.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Scrythe said:
Lectori Salutem said:
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A
IDDQD
greedisgood
it is a good day to die
rosebud
nwcalreadygotone

... Well, damn...
SupahGamuh said:
impulse 101
bewareoblivionisathand
thereisnocowlevel
idkfa

nothing...

power overwheling
corwin of amber
+zool
Square, Triangle, X, Space, Circle

Well, I'm all out of ideas.
number1dacrestreat/reet
dontfearthereaper
*G*-*O*-*D*
set camti
game.cheat

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Finally, a reasonable explanation for those times when I'm about to go to bed and I feel like I'm falling through the bed.

It's just a bug, like when you fall asleep next to a wall in Minecraft and wake up covered in zombies.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Yeah, no. Certain people would be able to bend the rules, and even kids have the determination to try like hell. With the exception of magicians, Jesus, and super martial artists, no one has been able to bend the rules.

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Honestly, it doesn't remind me of The Matrix as much as it reminds me of The Thirteenth Floor.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139809/
I do believe you are correct, although the scale at which it is conducted is quite a bit larger.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
theultimateend said:
Bobic said:
I've always thought the whole Observer Effect (specifically relating to quantum physics) was evidence that we were living in a simulation. The fact that things only choose values (i.e. exist in a defined way) when we observe them. So if no-one is looking, things don't exist. Sounds an awful lot like they're saving on processing power to me.
When you look at something the photons hitting that object will make it heavier. In the case of larger things its not a big deal, nobody notices.

Objects at the size of electrons [quantum particles in general] actually get knocked around by these photons. So just by observing it you move it and it is no longer where you observed it. So basically you can either guess where it is or see where it was, but never where it is.

I am probably forgetting something but as far as I understand it it isn't THAT strange.
From Wiki:

A key topic is that of wave function collapse, for which some interpretations assert that measurement causes a discontinuous change into a non-quantum state, which no longer evolves. The superposition principle (ψ = Σanψn) of quantum physics says that for a wave function ψ, a measurement will give a state of the quantum system of one of the m possible eigenvalues fn, n=1,2...m, of the operator which is part of the eigenfunctions ψn, n=1,2,...n. Once we have measured the system, we know its current state and this stops it from being in one of its other states.[1] This means that the type of measurement that we do on the system affects the end state of the system. An experimentally studied situation related to this is the quantum Zeno effect, in which a quantum state that would decay if left alone but does not decay because of its continuous observation.

Or, in none baffling science terms:

Quantum systems exist as what is known as a probability density (i.e. a system of possibilities, rather than something specific). Observation makes it pick one of these possibilities, and become defined. Therefore Keanu Reeves will lead us to salvation.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
CrazyGirl17 said:
...Well, someone's reaching for a conclusion... I mean, if this was a computer simulation, wouldn't it be, I dunno, more interesting? Hell, I'd love to be able to do all that bullet time stuff...
What if the universe our simulated universe is run by is even LAMER than our simulated universe?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled.
But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any
particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in
a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events
of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose
meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

-- Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Please tell me I'm not only one who thought about Alpha Centauri :)

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'm pretty sure that if you're going to perfectly simulate a whole universe (down to subatomic particles), you'd need to pretty much turn the entire universe into a computer. Which, of course, makes the whole thing pointless.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
JediMB said:
I'm pretty sure that if you're going to perfectly simulate a whole universe (down to subatomic particles), you'd need to pretty much turn the entire universe into a computer. Which, of course, makes the whole thing pointless.
Last I checked the existence of subatomic particles is largely inferred, meaning if they were simulated we wouldn't be able to tell at this point. I haven't checked in a long time though so I wonder if that's still true.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Infernai said:
Can we walk up walls, dodge bullets and do this?

No? Figure out how to do all that first, then maybe we can talk. I can't honestly be the only one who wants all that stuff to happen.

More to the point though: They make a simulation of world of...this!? Seriously, we coulda had an epic sci-fi universe, a badass fantasy world or even just awesome imaginative societies. Instead? We get stuck in this bland little world? I think i need to have a talk with the programmers..
There's actually a great little short story by, well, someone (I forgot), in which the protagonist is slowly defaulting to "our" reality and finding it extremely strange and pretty much goes kookoo just 'cause the world isn't chaotic like his reality. I forgot if this was done through a dream-sequence or not, but he talks to his therapist, in a room full of colors and melting floors and junk, and then goes outside and things just... stop being "weird".

What I'm trying to say is, our world is only as bland as we make it. Live anywhere long enough and it's bland. Hard to judge our reality while being in it.