Science Suggests We're Living in the Matrix

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Skeleon said:
Gets you nothing but an infinite regress.
Pointless mental wankery.
Let's actually investigate this reality and if there are cracks in the "simulation", we'll find them.
Bam. This.

Godol's incompleteness theorem by corollary negates the idea of simulationception.

TeletubbiesGolfGun

Sep 7, 2012
Innegativeion said:
I mean, if this was a simulation, wouldn't it be idealized? I love my video games, but I'd never want to live in one. Wouldn't a race advanced enough to create perfect virtual reality be advanced enough to desire actual fulfillment?
you are quite literally playing all the wrong games then.

every single person i know would fucking love it to live in the world of pokemon/star wars/mass effect.

seriously, how could you NOT want to live in some of those worlds?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Well, that's...um...how do I put this...

Thank you, Rich Little doing a Howard Kosell impression, that's exactly what I was thinking!

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Combine that with the earlier findings that there's an underlying code in the background of the universe that compensates for energy loss in transmission, that resembles a lot the same code used by web browsers to compensate for packet loss sent over the internet, and you've got a freegin sweet mystery to solve.

Oh, if only there were less morons killing each other and making the planet a living hell, this would be such a great goal for humanity.

Thammuz

Nov 21, 2010
Gilhelmi said:
YES, PROOF OF GOD!!! OK, but really now. Think about it, someone needs too be on the "outside" observing our behavior. Wipe your memories while in the program too see how you truly behave, then send you too the appropriate "afterlife". This might even explain reincarnation (or rebirth), sending us through the "program" until we complete it (ie universe is destroyed).

I do not believe in this theory, But I do believe in God, and if this were true then the Master truly does have a good sense of humor.
That wouldn't make it much of a god, though, would it?

It's like saying "YES! The Demiurge exists!" Good for you, now what? It's not an infalliable god, it's not a moral authority and most likely does not interfere because that would kinda fuck up the point of simulation, but if it does, there is no telling whether it considers anything in this universe as more than data points and cannon fodder for testing and such.

Afterall, look at how the average player acts in "Black and White".

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I call Bunk. If this is all a simulation than who made the original simulation? Also the fact that if we were merely simulations, it's unlikely that'd we'd have consciousness and self-awareness, but rather we'd just be going through our programmed routines.

SmegInThePants

Feb 19, 2011
this isn't new, i remember an old thing, some physicist wrote - and i'm probably mangling it a bit, but it made its way around the net and went something like:

if we assume there are other civilizations in existence

if we also assume that making something like the matrix is possible (a simulation so real that those in it are self aware and consider it to be reality)

If the above assumptions are true, then given enough time, many of the above civilizations will make use of this possibility and create one or many such simulations

and thus, for every 1 reality, there would be many such simulations. Many many such simulations. Lets call this number X. X = the number of such simulations in 1 reality.

So if you find yourself existing, your odds of being in reality are only 1/x.

Jacob Iott

Apr 4, 2010
So I guess this means Intelligent Design and Evolution are BOTH true. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go laugh at all the people who have been debating this issue for the last hundred years or so...

WEE HE HE HE HE HE *snort*!
WA HA HA HA HA! (falls off chair)

...ow...my back.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
So... is there a code to make EA do the La Macarena? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anzzNp8HlVQ] Just because.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Bobic said:
I've always thought the whole Observer Effect (specifically relating to quantum physics) was evidence that we were living in a simulation. The fact that things only choose values (i.e. exist in a defined way) when we observe them. So if no-one is looking, things don't exist. Sounds an awful lot like they're saving on processing power to me.
When you look at something the photons hitting that object will make it heavier. In the case of larger things its not a big deal, nobody notices.

Objects at the size of electrons [quantum particles in general] actually get knocked around by these photons. So just by observing it you move it and it is no longer where you observed it. So basically you can either guess where it is or see where it was, but never where it is.

I am probably forgetting something but as far as I understand it it isn't THAT strange.

I can grab some videos on uncertainty but I would suggest checking out some of the periodic table of videos on the subject.

At OP, to this and all other theories similar I raise the question of "So?"

Imagine if you found out that the entire universe was fake, this would mean that the entire universe including you and your feelings would all be reduced in value by the same amount. This means the net result of this discovery is that everything remains exactly the same.

Wow...real progress.

PS. Light acting as both a wave and a particle isn't all the strange either, objects at the extreme ends of scale act in very peculiar ways specifically compared to objects not at the extremes. But to each one their own peculiarities does not denote some level of super importance, its just neat by itself.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
ive known about this for years, and my matrix is lazy as hell, using the same voices and barely changing how people look when i travel, hell there are some times when i see the same damn vehicle 4 times in a row

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
TopazFusion said:
This isn't news to me. I got my trusty tinfoil hat on.

Ohhh, the things I could tell you.

For instance, did you know th- ...

im not sure if you noticed, but the first crashed file is "Hal.dll". this cant be a coincidence [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_9000].

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Interesting idea, but that just raises the question of where the original universe came from, so wouldn't we be kind of back to square one?

Unless it's just an infinite circle of universes, each one simulating the next. Whoa!

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Um... ok, so our universe is based on a set of physical constants, and computers we build function on that same set of physical constants and are also capable of simulating them.

Therefore, we are all inside computers!

Brilliant. Very smart people playing Magic The Gathering with their minds.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
"Any sufficiently advanced civilization" The are assuming such a civilization does or even can exist.

I could use that argument to say that we likely don't exist. After all, any sufficiently advanced civilization would realize what a total bother the whole civilization thing is and just pull the plug on it all.

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
Yup, I thought so. To all the non-believers, God does exist. It's just that the world is just one big game of The Sims to him.

So, if you see a plate of cookies appear in the middle of a room, don't go after the cookies. Because if you do, the only exit to the room will disappear and boxes of fireworks will appear and you won't be able to resist setting them off and burning yourself alive in the room.
That explains why I light everything on fire when I try to cook, or why the pool only has a diving board (seriously, my sister has been swimming for days now, someone send help!)

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
DkLnBr said:
Sonic Doctor said:
That explains why I light everything on fire when I try to cook, or why the pool only has a diving board (seriously, my sister has been swimming for days now, someone send help!)
Wonderful Sim jokes. Oh, the torment we inflict on them.

Excuse me, I've got to go call the clown catchers.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Wow, simulations running inside simulations running inside simulations that abide by the laws of physics... sounds legit.

Thank god, that anyone who believes this shite will most likely never reproduce.

Y'know, I had this neighbor across the street, he had a neo jacket, like the long leather jacket, black sweatshirt, skinny jeans - then we got a Matrix screensaver and used a projector to bring the matrix to him, one night when he was getting out of his car. Wish we'd filmed it for YouTube... he did see the funny side of it :).