Science Suggests We're Living in the Matrix

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
CrazyGirl17 said:
...Well, someone's reaching for a conclusion... I mean, if this was a computer simulation, wouldn't it be, I dunno, more interesting? Hell, I'd love to be able to do all that bullet time stuff...
Yea but then you would know, so you'd become the one and start a war with our bear overlords who run the simulation which in turn would alert the bear's zebra overlords who would unplug the bear's matrix thus killing us.

And that's why bullet time doesn't work.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
TopazFusion said:
This isn't news to me. I got my trusty tinfoil hat on.

Ohhh, the things I could tell you.

For instance, did you know th- ...

bladester1 said:
Dear God! Its Star Ocean: Til the End of Time all over again!! /vomits. On another point was the ps3 international edition of star ocean: a new hope any better than the 360 version?
When in doubt, iddqd.
Not G. Ivingname said:
THIS KNOWLEDGE NEEDS TO BE SPREAD! D:

HOW LONG BEFORE THE MACHINES WIPE OUR MEMORIE-

What were we talking about?
Ahhh, a null pointer is talking !

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
geldonyetich said:
Sounds like a "chicken or the egg" thing to me.
In the sense that it's already "solved" by now as eggs came first given dinosaurs had eggs long before chickens appeared ?

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
TeletubbiesGolfGun said:
you are quite literally playing all the wrong games then.

every single person i know would fucking love it to live in the world of pokemon/star wars/mass effect.

seriously, how could you NOT want to live in some of those worlds?
Well, Nintendo games aside, Mass Effect and and Star Wars are perfect examples of how anyone who's not a hero takes it up the ass.

I'm saying if life was a video game, it'd be the kind where lots of folks die, not the kind where we can talk to animals with magical powers to team up and fight terrorist organizations that don't actually kill people.

You really want to get blown to bits by the reapers?
Christopher Callahan said:
What if this is their idea of fulfillment?
What if the milky way is actually god's right nut?

Now we're in to the realm of conjecture based on nothing.

And we were already pretty close with "energy limit=matrix"

C F

Jan 10, 2012
wildpeaks said:
geldonyetich said:
Sounds like a "chicken or the egg" thing to me.
In the sense that it's already "solved" by now as eggs came first given dinosaurs had eggs long before chickens appeared ?
Unless we find something that precedes entire universes, I don't think it's that simple. The question still stands even if the metaphor's wording doesn't.

But if you ask me: existence came before the simulation.

TeletubbiesGolfGun

Sep 7, 2012
Innegativeion said:
TeletubbiesGolfGun said:
you are quite literally playing all the wrong games then.

every single person i know would fucking love it to live in the world of pokemon/star wars/mass effect.

seriously, how could you NOT want to live in some of those worlds?
Well, Nintendo games aside, Mass Effect and and Star Wars are perfect examples of how anyone who's not a hero takes it up the ass.

I'm saying if life was a video game, it'd be the kind where lots of folks die, not the kind where we can talk to animals with magical powers to team up and fight terrorist organizations that don't actually kill people.

You really want to get blown to bits by the reapers?
Christopher Callahan said:
What if this is their idea of fulfillment?
What if the milky way is actually god's right nut?

Now we're in to the realm of conjecture based on nothing.

And we were already pretty close with "energy limit=matrix"
that is, if you stay EXACTLY to their storyline, if you just use the worlds physics/atmosphere, it doesn't have to be EXACTLY like that, if i took the world of mass effect, i don't have to jump in RIGHT at the reaper part, wait..

you know what, i would fucking love that, i could change that hogwash of a shitstain underwear that ending is, I COULD BE MARAUDER SHIELDS! I COULD STOP IT FROM HAPPENING!

yes...yes...excellent...

LOL now i will forever think of the milky way as the milky nut sack... every time a meteor is gonna hit it's actually a kidney stone taking its course :D

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
ascorbius said:
The_Waspman said:
I'm calling bullshit on this.

If videogames have tought me anything its that you cant even enter a building without a fucking loading screen.

No loading screens in real life? Well then its not a fucking simulation, is it?
Think about it, If there were loading screens, you wouldn't see them - your simulation would be paused while more data is loaded. Only those who made the simulation would notice anything happening at all.
Actually, you'd be experiencing time at a completely different rate to what the creators of the simulation were.

I've thought about this before 13th floor kind-of gave me the nudge..

Consider this: we continue to make advances in science, things are becoming more complex from what we remember growing up - It stands to reason that there is a chance that this is because they keep upgrading the simulation machine and over time it can handle more levels of detail, just like most of us do with our PCs.. We're just in something like a massively complex CryEngine or something like that. We don't notice the upgrade because they pause the simulation for perform them.

And if it was God who crated the simulation, think about this... what happens to computer programs on your PC when you close them down? Do their souls go to your hard drive? No, they stop running and the memory they allocated is used by something else... They never spill out onto your desk. They can never leave the digital world.

There is no afterlife if this is a simulation... Even if there is a God, you're going to heaven no more than Gordon Freeman will - and we like Gordon Freeman - He does noble work. When we close Half-Life, Gordon Freeman ceases to exist in memory and remains only on your hard drive as a set of instructions needed to create Gordon Freeman the next time you want to play.

Also, if this is a simulation, there is no free will as we're set on a pre-programmed path where our actions are based on stimulus and reaction - It's just so complex we perceive it as free will. Think about it, when was the last time you made a truly independent decision which wasn't based on outside factors or a learned response to some other stimulus?
Oh lord. I knew, just knew I shouldn't have commented on this topic. Nothing personal against you mate, but We had a lot of debates about this back when I was at university (shortly after the matrix came out) and most of the arguments haven't changed. Besides, I was just attempting to be snarky. Anyway, to respond to some points...

You say things are becoming more complex. I assume from that you mean our technological advances, and our understanding, on a societal level as opposed to everyone being morons when they were kids. So in a similar way to how graphical improvements have been made in video games, yes? Well, I cant really buy that. Just because we now 'understand' more about subatomic behaviour (or whatever) now than we did 200 years ago, wouldn't really mean that this stuff has just been patched in. There is just far too much complexity for this all to be a simulation, basically because:

Daverson said:
Of course, the theory falls apart when you come to the realization that the hardware for said simulation would have a finite amount of computing power available, so wouldn't be able to run infinite nestled simulations (and, realistically speaking, probably wouldn't be able to run even a single nestled simulation)
This. Even if we were all just programs (as opposed to organisms plugged into some huge virtual reality) there are far far too many of us (as well as every other organism, and hell, everything else in the universe) far any computer system to realistically be able to process. Even if we were all part of some amazingly advanced technological system, we would all be existing within it as it ran in real time, without any glitches at all. At all!?

Nope, still not buying it.

As for your point about our decision making abilities, well, none of us have any individuality anyway. If you look at Memetics (actual memetics, not all this internet shit about Chuck Norris being the worlds most badass pony or whatever) then all any of us are, as 'individuals', are collections of a great number of different social and cultural replicators. Thats one of the reasons we have evolved in the way we have. Does that support your - I dont really want to use the word 'argument', because it carries too much confrontational weight, and as I said, I'm not having a go at you, its more this topic - so lets say your supposition, than it does mine? Well, probably.

Captcha: partly to blame. Yeah, thanks captcha, thanks a lot.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Given how there's mathematical patterns that replicate themselves all the way up to the structures of Galaxies and Dark Matter... I wouldn't be surprised.

Does beg the question what sort of sick bastard is killing people.

It does make you feel slightly guilty about killing NPCs.

Like Terry P's book Only you can Save Mankind.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Science Suggests We're Living in the Matrix

"It may not be proof that we're living in the Matrix, but it is a pretty cool idea."

-____-

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
So all this stuff can imply we're living in a simulation.

And what if we're not? Could this stuff apply even if we're not actually living in a simulation?

Are we right back to square one with "Maybe, but then again maybe not."?

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
thethird0611 said:
This seems alot more like philosophy than science, but with a little science (or theory) thrown in. It sounds just like the brain in a jar theory, and one's like it.
Yeah, both of them seem to just be offshoots of solipsism. But I guess adding a little science is always nice, because philosophy doesn't exactly make the news :p

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Scrythe said:
Lectori Salutem said:
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A
IDDQD
greedisgood
it is a good day to die
rosebud
nwcalreadygotone

... Well, damn...
SupahGamuh said:
impulse 101
bewareoblivionisathand
thereisnocowlevel
idkfa

nothing...

power overwheling
corwin of amber
+zool
Square, Triangle, X, Space, Circle

Well, I'm all out of ideas.
Press X to jason!

AMIDOINGITRIGHT.jpg

OT: This is what science is doing now? Oh how the might have fallen .

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
I've always considered thought experiments like this to be nonsensical and silly. I am not yet swayed from this opinion.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Lemme just try something here...

~
sv_cheats 1

Nope. I don't buy it.

On a more serious note, if we are living in a nested simulation...what is powering it all? What if that power source were to fail? Would the universe just stop? or "turn off"?

Is time perceived slower through a nested simulation (like "Inception")?

These questions need answers...because...why not?