Science Suggests We're Living in the Matrix

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Science, you have failed me.

You are attempting to say the universe is either The Matrix, Star Ocean, or Big O...and it isn't working. Why anyone would want to put this one out there without doing any REAL research (A sim does not a truth make. It merely tests a hypothesis using available data to try and project a might-be, not a definitely.) is beyond me. Yes, let's throw out this little whopper onto the internet. SURELY, NOTHING WILL HAPPEN!

Except that it will. This is a post-modernistic world. What people think matters a helluva lot, because they try to change fiction into reality. In some cases, that can be fun and awesome. Technology and machines based off of and more powerful than things in Star Trek? Wonderful. Real sonic screwdrivers? Brilliant. Russia had a Doomsday Device like in Dr. Strangelove? BAD DAY! BAD DAY! BAD DAY! (Of course, Russia probably thought of it first, but we only found out about it much later...which was a fatal plot-point in the movie.)

People do strange things, sometimes horrible things, when they get an idea in their heads and it w0on't come out. Who would have guessed that some people would realize that the aliens were hiding in the comet passing Earth, and that to meet them you had to commit suicide? (NOTE: Never, never do this.) Throwing around a notion like that with very little to back it up will cause trouble, like trying to quench fire with gasoline.

Have the neutrinos mutated yet?

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
If reality gets shitty sequels too, I'll try to migrate to a neighboring simulation ASAP

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
That could spark an interesting Discussion in Philosophy. We, as "NPC's" in this Simulation are self-aware, or so we tell ourselves. We have our own ethical constructs and moral Codes and although they are very flimsy over the centuries, we do like to pretend that everyone would be granted the same basic rights as a self-aware being.

What if these basic rights where granted to us in every extend we could possibly grasp but we where still "Playthings" to those "above" us?

Would that be ok with our own moral code? We ourselves grant other lifeforms far less rights just because they are less intelligent. I myself am rather ok with the way Animals are treated by my farmer neighbour. His Cows have pretty decent living arrangements, not a Care in the World and as far as i can tell, they're ok with that.
Until they are killed, which happens so fast that their senses are out before they notice that it's over.

What they don't get is Freedom. Then again, we humans have sold out our freedom countless times just for the fleeting Illusion of safety.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Scrythe said:
Lectori Salutem said:
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A
IDDQD
greedisgood
it is a good day to die
rosebud
nwcalreadygotone

... Well, damn...
SupahGamuh said:
impulse 101
bewareoblivionisathand
thereisnocowlevel
idkfa

nothing...

power overwheling
corwin of amber
+zool
Square, Triangle, X, Space, Circle

Well, I'm all out of ideas.
There Is no Cow Level

We're Doomed D:

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
Ickabod said:
Damnit! I'm just another F'n NPC
If we are NPC, then are the historical figures the players? Because in games we're always the one important guy that saves (or destroys) the world.

If the world is a simulation, then the universal speed limit of light speed is an artificially imposed limit, sort of like invisible walls in today's games. The reason why we can't see clearly into the other universes is because they (whoever created this simulation) is using low res textures for the distance objects.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
[], X, /\, X, X, O, [], O, /\.

drat, no infinite health.

Still, maybe it explains why my hands are always cold?

Darth_Murmeltier

Jan 5, 2011
I think, even if it is true, that it doesn't matter and, honestly, I think this is just meaningless wordplay; just as saying that reality is an illusion ("So what?" Could I respond). We still have to go on with our lives etc.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
I guess that's what scientists do, we don't know if it'll even have any useful applications, but maybe it will change the world in a big way. Maybe instead of trying to find cure for disease (equivalent to grinding for potions) we can just change the underlying simulation code (equivalent to save file editing or using trainer).

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Scrythe said:
Lectori Salutem said:
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A
IDDQD
greedisgood
it is a good day to die
rosebud
nwcalreadygotone

... Well, damn...
SupahGamuh said:
impulse 101
bewareoblivionisathand
thereisnocowlevel
idkfa

nothing...

power overwheling
corwin of amber
+zool
Square, Triangle, X, Space, Circle

Well, I'm all out of ideas.
AMATEURS!! ALL OF YOU, AMATEURS!!!

*Turns around three times, steps left right left back forward then jumps with a 180 degrees turn, jumps backward*

Sigh... Can someone make a Save Game editor or Trainer for this? Come on,it can't be that hard.