Scientist Predicts Cargo Zeppelins in the Future

Burnswell

Feb 11, 2009
If you didn't see the doco on the research the Hindenburg went up in flames because the paint used on the outer cover was the same stuff NASA later used for rocket fuel, not because of the Hydrogen. (No really)

Plus... Freaking Awsome! I want one!!!

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
Tales of Golden Sun said:
Sounds cool. It's more a ride, like a boat ride, than a plane. We could have the Flying Titanic! (Though the name Titanic will probably scare people)
Kevlar Eater said:
I like the idea of cargo ships too. What my primary fear about them is:

And that scares the crap out of me.
The lovechild of the Titanic and the Hindenburg can only be a good thing.

Also, airships would be awesome.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
There was a novel I read called "Airship" (I think) by Kenneth Oppel, it was pretty cool. I think I could go for a sky-cruise, especially if it looked like something out of Final Fantasy 9.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It would make sense, I wouldnt mind seeing airships around again, not only would it be really cool, it would also be quite classy I think, lol.

Plus! From what I know, its much cleaner too

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
It was only done so that Warner Bros can milk more money from the Harry Potter film franchise.

I think I speak for everyone when I say what a bunch of f****** twats!

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Isn't this actually quite old news? I was reading about those airship designs early last year - one of them was really interesting, a kind of hybrid that had wings and a fuselage - albeit a very fat, gas-filled one - but operated like an airship.. I can't remember the advantages of optionally being able to take-off and land like a plane if it so-chose but I remember there being some.

Still, that aside, I'd be highly surprised if this didn't eventually happen. Especially with limited fossil fuel supplies becoming a problem at some point, and airships not needing the kind of monstrous thrust planes need and only combustion can provide.

I think if I ever got money enough to start up a business, I'd try and go into shipping. With airships.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
FINAL FANTASY WAS RIGHT!

On a serious note, I actually see the logic behind this. While aircraft are fast and cover great distances, they are also expensive to maintain and not very friendly to the environment. Considering this, airships could represent a much cheaper alternative for the airlines as well as the passengers themselves, at least for continental flights. Afterall, airships are still used today for advertising purposes.

Having said that, I do not see a future for airships beyond passenger travel. While it is true that they could be used for carrying cargo in less-developed areas where they can't afford to maintain airfields, naval and aircraft travel will remain superior elsewhere in that regard. Ships can carry more cargo than airships, while aircraft usually carry the kind of cargo for which it is essential that it arrives at it's destination as soon as possible.

One more thing. The theory that the Hindernburg caught on fire beacuse of the hydrogen is a popular one, but has been disputed many times over the years. Infact, some think that it was the aluminised fabric cover that caught on fire. So it remains a mystery.

bubba145

Jan 4, 2010
Kevlar Eater said:
I like the idea of cargo ships too. What my primary fear about them is:

And that scares the crap out of me.
yah same here. realy Zeplins are we friggen steampunk...wait forget i mentioned that. but really going back to airships.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Burnswell said:
If you didn't see the doco on the research the Hindenburg went up in flames because the paint used on the outer cover was the same stuff NASA later used for rocket fuel, not because of the Hydrogen. (No really)
Not quite. While it's likely the unintentional thermite mixture they coated the Hindenburg with was what first caught fire, it was undoubtedly the hydrogen inside that caused the enormous and near instant blaze that's had people terrified of zeppelins for so long.

All that's needed once I get my airship is a gunblade, an industrial sized container of hair gel and some ridiculous clothing. Soon...

Kilaknux

Jun 16, 2009
As a steampunk lover, I'm greatly excited by this news. These things are both classy and practical, and have been ignored for too long.
On a side note, where does that screenshot come from? Looks mildly familier, although that may be too much Fallout 3 exposure.

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
FUCK YES! However, we do need to watch out for Sky Pirates. I mean, Vaan is harmless enough, but the real ones can actually do some damage.

Luckily, I brought my Ultima Materia... Hooray!

As you can tell, in my mind. Airship == Final Fantasy.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
There is a reason this is going to happen. It's because people love big fucking TITS. (Things In The Sky)

May 28, 2009
I don't know about you guys, but Zeppelins are fucking awesome, and I'm not just saying that because my father was Prince Louis of Battenberg, who was German. No sirree.