Scientist Predicts Cargo Zeppelins in the Future

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Kilaknux said:
As a steampunk lover, I'm greatly excited by this news. These things are both classy and practical, and have been ignored for too long.
On a side note, where does that screenshot come from? Looks mildly familier, although that may be too much Fallout 3 exposure.
It's from Final Fantasy XI

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
MrSnugglesworth said:
Juzari said:
MajoraPersona said:
The lovechild of the Titanic and the Hindenburg can only be a good thing.
So it will explode and crash into an iceberg?
I think it will Explode because it crashed into an iceberg.
'Captain! Look out! We're headed directly for a Skyberg!'

OT: I'd really, very seriously love to see the Zeppelin make a come-back.
I think it's silly that they even stopped being used just because one exploded because the people who designed it lacked the foresight to realise that painting something with the main components of TERMITE when it's kept in the air with Hydrogen was a bad idea...

I'm certain modern knowledge and engineering will ensure safer, better Zeppelin travel.
And I can't wait for it!

AIR-SHIPS! HOOOO!

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
I love zeppelins, the coolest form of air travel. This means that pretty soon, we'll get personal ones. Maybe even ones that replace houses!

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Burnswell said:
If you didn't see the doco on the research the Hindenburg went up in flames because the paint used on the outer cover was the same stuff NASA later used for rocket fuel, not because of the Hydrogen. (No really)

Plus... Freaking Awsome! I want one!!!
No, after further testing, they found that while the paint definitely started the fire, the Hydrogen caused the problem. The paint ignited, made a small hole in the bubble of Hydrogen, Hydrogen + fire = shit.

It helped, but the paint only started the affair.

OT: this is a good idea, Am I the only one thinking: SKY HOTEL!

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
One question, will this result in us dealing a Don Konage? /shot

Who else thought sky pirates after they read this?

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Are Zeppelin's Steampunk or Dieselpunk? I think that I could live with a dieselpunk future while a steampunk future makes me want to go all road warrior on people's brass goggled faces.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007

LZ 129 was one of the most modern most advanced Zeppelins of the day. The kind of thing that would've kept on keepin' on until the 60s- like British Tanks [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_tank] or the 747 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747], with minor changes inside that kept it up to date. (The 747 will celebrate it's 40th year in service on January 22nd)
The bloody thing was even originally designed to be held aloft with helium, but the trade embargo to Germany from USA prevented that.
With a modern image overhaul and design implementations from the past forty years a zeppelin designed ground-up for awesome use in the future would make a success so large that it would make contemporary designs make the comparison equivalent to comparing the RMS Titanic to the Oasis of the Seas [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Oasis_of_the_Seas]

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009

If anyone needs me, I'll be getting my pilot's license and whatever other permits I need to fly one of these things.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Hell no. While they may be cheaper to Jets, they're like what Yahtzee once said, an ant pushing a brick across a desert in comparison to the F1 racers called Jets, the cons outweigh the pro's and you would've lost alot of commercial doing that.

However, if you want to replace boats, then yah you are a winrar.

flipsalty

May 11, 2010
It's called a rigid airship, they're quite safe, just watch the Archer episode called Skytanic.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
The main problem with airships is that they just don't make economic sense. They are slower than modern high speed passenger train and cant carry as many poeple. To transport poeple on the transatlantic route the Oasis of the Sea can move 5600 in around 7 days as opposed 100 people in around 3 days. In terms of cargo, trains easily carry a 1000 tons and at the same kind of speed as an airship. The big bulk carriers can move 350000 tons at half the speed of the airship

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'm only wondering what took them so long. The only serious issue I could forsee is severe weather causing problems. On the other hand, when a 747 goes down, there's a crash and death and heartbreak... when an zeppelin goes down, it squashes Granny Smith's garden and they need a bus to get everyone home.

-=Spy=- said:
3)Zeppelin.
I endorse this as a replacement for the "3) Profit!" meme.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
Yes please! I'd really look forward to having these as our new form of air transit. Keep private planes and such and focus more on passenger models for long haul flights maybe so people can still travel around the world relatively quickly, but definetly replace cargo ones with this. If it takes a couple days so be it, but if it uses significantly less fuel and with more cargo, all the better for it.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
mmmm all this Airship and zepplin news is makeing me wanna go play Crimson Skies.

But if this comes true I call dibs on this...