Scientists Train Computer to Understand "That's What She Said" Jokes

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
Fantastic, now the computers can kill all of mankind just for laughs. They don't even have to do it for logical fallacies anymore.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Wow, that is awesome. Think of the possibilities! Analyzing long texts and speeches for all kinds of things.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
Skynet does not need a sense of humor to fight humanity.

Its bad enough the robots will win, but they're gonna be laughing while winning too?

*Pictures robot that looks like Charlie Sheen with a chainsaw screaming WINNNING!*

Perhaps its time Honda taught the Asimo robot how to teabag people, to complete the suffering.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I don't know if I should be terrified or thinking that this is awesome. Honestly I don't know if I want our future overlords to be able to make jokes, but I think as long as I can still say "that's what she said" while they are taking over, I'm ok with that.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Here's science for you. Because we don't work by consciously setting out on a broad goal. No, we sit back and say "Hey, guys, what if we made the computer do this? Can we do that"?

Good times.

Fade2Moo

Mar 30, 2011
pejhmon said:
OutrageousEmu said:
pejhmon said:
OutrageousEmu said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Seriously? This is what scientists are doing with their time?

Where's the cure for cancer? And more importantly WHERE'S MY FUCKING PORTAL GUN???

Nuff said. ;)
...how would she wear a shirt? She doesn't have shoulders.
Blu-tac the shirt to chest.
She also doesn't have a chest.
The central stick is *technically* a chest :p
Flat chested teehee

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Seriously? This is what scientists are doing with their time?

Where's the cure for cancer? And more importantly WHERE'S MY FUCKING PORTAL GUN???
Computer scientists don't have a lot to do with their time it seems...

Voration

Jan 13, 2010
Yay, now I can have a computer that gets upset when I don't find its jokes funny (or inversely when I laugh at it), and there is the true reason computers want us to go.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
Heuristics for "that what she said jokes"? WHAT HAS COMPUTER SCIENCE DONE!!!!!!

It's interesting research, yeah but I'm not going to shell out the dough for this. There are other avenues that seem more interesting then making computers tell dirty jokes and act like school kids.
I suppose making them act like school kids is the first step towards... world domination?

Shut it down, shut it down dammnit!

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Corekrash said:
This is just pathetic, this is what would happen if beavis and butthead were computer scientists. My respect for mankind drops another notch.
I think the result of that would be a whole lot easier. Just learn it to hear a ton of spefic naughty words, and then reply "hehe hehe, he said [insert naughty word here]"
It wouldn't take any complicated stuff like the other one.
The clever part would be, that it would pick up what it heard, which means that words soundind simmilar enough to dirty words, would trigger the response.

"I can hardly see out the windows for this heavy fog"
PC: "hehe, hehe, he said fuck, hehe, hehe"

Just rip the voice Glados is using.

You could combine the 2 things in a small shiny white box, call it the iDouche and make millions.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
"That's what she said" is the lamest, most overused expression I hear on a daily basis. I applaud their effort and innovation but the application is absolutely retarded.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
I find it funny how many people are making the "why aren't they curing cancer" complaint in this thread when the kinds of scientists who'd be working on AI training are clearly medical professionals and geneticists, amirite?

Lagslayer

Apr 18, 2011
Shjade said:
I find it funny how many people are making the "why aren't they curing cancer" complaint in this thread when the kinds of scientists who'd be working on AI training are clearly medical professionals and geneticists, amirite?
What I find funny is that they actually did find the cure for cancer. And it's not so much funny as it is tragic. However, nobody could get a patent on it, and therefor, nobody would pay to have all the tests done on it. It was on the news for like a day or 2 then everybody dropped it. I mean everybody, and I haven't heard it mentioned since. I could understand some people not wanting to talk about it, but everybody?! If there was ever proof that we needed government run healthcare, this was it, but even the supporters aren't touching this.

Anyways, back on topic. It's kinda funny and harmless now, but at this rate, computers will surpass humans in raw processing power. And it will happen soon. Then we have nothing. Hello robot overlords!