Scientists Want To Put Spiders In Your Blood

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
As a man with a few medical problems that can be colloquially (though inaccurately) referred to as "sports injuries" (unless war is a sport)... I'd just like to say

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Shakomaru said:
Did anyone else read the title and think, "SPIDERS! DO NOT WANT!" Did they really have to say that? and the last paragraph... Anyone else know about or think about these things?
No, I was totally with you on that. The thought of spiders in my veins terrified me for a second, and then I read the article and calmed down.

Also, BIONICLES!!!

OT: Now that I've calmed down, I think that's actually pretty damn cool. As long as they don't start programming people to do their bidding, I'm okay with this

silverdragon9

Aug 25, 2009
"If you've cut yourself in the last couple of hours you may have noticed your blood is filled with spiders. they're supposed to heal your cuts but so far ive got nothing but bad reports;you untrustworthy spider men."

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
If that sounds like the nanobots sci-fi authors have been promising would rejuvenate us for the past quarter century, you've been paying rapt attention. These spiders would function in much the same way as those theoretical 'bots, though the really impressive bit here is that thanks to Penn State scientists, this dream is no longer theoretical.
RESTORER NANOBOTS!

I've wanted these things for years! When anyone asks what I'd wish for from a genie, I tell them blood born restorer nanobots.

Now they just need to figure out how to make these little guys kill cancer cells, manage weight problems, repair the pancreas, and prevent heart attacks and... yeah.

Sign me up! ^^

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
This shit needs a PR boost right now because even though I'm usually the first in line to proclaim the virtues of science and technology to improve human life (or Trans-human life as the case may be) and renounce the fear mongering that stymies it's advancement. Even I have to admit that the idea of Spiders, hypothetical or not, in my blood is fucking atrocious.

jakko12345

Dec 23, 2010
Space Jawa said:
I have a feeling that these things are going to have a lot of bugs to work out before they're ready for use in people.
Okay I laughed, well played

May 20, 2009
Cool. That experiment with telomerase that successfully rejuvenated those lab rats plus these things. Death by old age will eventually not be a problem.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009

Why,why in the name of fucking everything did scientists decide this was a good idea. SPIDERS. IN. YOUR. BLOOD.

I cannot imagine this having a good future impact,but then again,I'm a pessimist.

Aean

Jul 22, 2011
So um... I fail to see the relationship between spiders and what he is actually describing. If those things could be used effectively they could do so many different things...

Viirin

Jul 30, 2011
Here's a compelling reason why curing death by old age is a bad idea [http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1916#comic]

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
I will do it under these conditions:

1) The spiders do not take people over.
2) I will wait 2 years behind every upgrade or whatever to see if they actually don't take other people over.
3) I can shoot webs like Spider Man.

Justanothergamer300

Jul 5, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
On the other hand, if these 'bots suddenly develop a taste for chemicals found in other, non-damaged parts of the body, they could do irreparable harm to their hosts. Unfortunately, I still can't spin that into a hellish future dystopia where we all slowly suffocate inside cocoons while our robot masters daintily sup upon our vital fluids, but here's hoping Sen can get all the kinks worked out before someone ends up with their prostate glued to their left arm.
I was all for the idea until I red the last paragraph

Techsmart07

Mar 5, 2011
So... Pennsylvania State University is working on creating... the Borg. Great idea!
They are no... resistance is futile. you will be assimilated.

Seems kinda cool. I mean, if they can make it work for one problem, they can begin to make it work for more things. I mean, if we have these things in our body containing chemicals, it can be a means to more effectively release medicine, making the same dosage significantly more effective than losing half of it in stomach acids. If they can get this to work well, I think it would be a huge advantage in medicine.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
No no no no no no. I don't care what they sat, no pidwrs in my blood. No spiders in my blood. I hate spiders. They nice to ecosystem bur mean to me. No spiders. Please. Pretty please.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Forget eating you, all they would have to do is spin some blood clots into your brain.