Scientists Want To Put Spiders In Your Blood

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
And to think, we laughed at the concept of taking cover for a few seconds to regain health...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This would be amazingly helpful, but they'd need to also invent a kill switch for these little robots. Like some sort of pill you can take, or a visit to a doctor with a special machine. If these things can repair an internal injury before it gets bad, great. But I don't like the idea of them living in my body forever. Too many things could go wrong.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
About time! My greatest fear is that I'll just miss the whole nanotech thing and live a regular human lifespan. Sure, I'll die sooner or later, but I damn well lan to make a good, long run of it, and nanospiders that keep me in one piece sound like one of the components of a long and healthy life.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
There isn't a hand big enough to apply the facepalm I'ld need to express the amount of fail in this posting.
How in merry hell do osmotic propelled spheres equal spiders ??

Woundtreatment from inside the body sounds spiffy allright - but I have to question the effectivity of the procedure. The machines need to be able to make some complex decisions to be effective - as in how to apply the medical glue to the wound to properly seal it.
Judging from their size, you'ld need a whole damn lot of them, so either you ramp up on the nanotechnology to mass produce these bots or venture into the dreaded grounds of self replication.

I'ld wanna see the face of the poor SOB that has to face the medias with news of self replicating machines.

I can't see how the bots would be benefitial in treating a life threatening wound - I can't see them beeing effective enough to make a difference.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
...I believe this idea has Cave Jonhson's seal of approval.

Though, in all seriousness, sounds like an interesting medical advancement, that's for sure. I'd like to see what become of this.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
LorienvArden said:
There isn't a hand big enough to apply the facepalm I'ld need to express the amount of fail in this posting.
How in merry hell do osmotic propelled spheres equal spiders ??
Title: "Spiders in your blood"

3rd Paragraph: "Not really."

Grrr...

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Somebody's been watching "Fringe".

Evil!Universe Charlie has spiders in *his* blood.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Wait a minute. Is Pennsylvania State University secretly Aperture Labs?

If so, MIT would be Black Mesa.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Finally, people will stop treating me like a crazy person when I say "I GOT SPIDERS IN MAH BRAIN!!!!"

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
On the other hand, if these 'bots suddenly develop a taste for chemicals found in other, non-damaged parts of the body, they could do irreparable harm to their hosts.
This was my first thought as well. I'm also inclined to ask, what happens when they have no more "holes" to repair? And surely identifying problems (and teaching them to microspiders?) to 100% certainty isn't that easy. If they start patching up something they shouldn't, we're fucked.

Another question. Just how would our own bodies feel about hosting these things? The immune system doesn't take kindly to intruders, there is quite a few diseases out there that happen because the body simply thinks it's sick, or under attack, even if it's realistically perfectly fine.

Oh and to mimic what others are already asking (and I've myself pointed out in multiple Escapist News posts so far), where does the original article mention, allude to or has anything to do with spiders?

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Spider Pig.
Spider Pig.
Does whatever a
Spider pig does.
Can he swing,
from a web?
No he can't
He's a pig.
Loooook ouuutttt.
He is the spider pig.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
kannibus said:
And to think, we laughed at the concept of taking cover for a few seconds to regain health...
I lol'd, good one.

OP: This is... cool. And I'd imagine it would be very useful. Now, time to work on my doomsday EMP device...

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Witty Name Here said:
Don't worry, the chances of the blood spiders rising up against their human overlords from the inside is only around 17% now!

But in all seriousness, even if this cured all diseases, I would not want a bunch of spiders crawling around inside my blood, microscopic or not.
I suppose you'd be one of those people who decided to die of infection because penicillin was created from fungi and fungi is "icky".

I really hope people talking about how they fear being controlled by these things are joking, I really do. Otherwise there are some just tremendously stupid people here.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Doclector said:
No no no no no no. I don't care what they sat, no pidwrs in my blood. No spiders in my blood. I hate spiders. They nice to ecosystem bur mean to me. No spiders. Please. Pretty please.
They're not spiders for god sake. They're no more spiders then Bacteriophages are.

Why the hell does this article pointlessly sensationalize aspects of this, and why the hell do people fall for it?

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Having played a lot of Cyberpunk 2020 in my youth all I can say is get fucking cracking on this one guys. Next thing I want is a skinweave, muscle and bone lace level 3 and... a Mr STUDD. *cough*

Piecewise said:
Why the hell does this article pointlessly sensationalize aspects of this, and why the hell do people fall for it?
It's called nerd humour.