Scorned Girlfriend Deletes WoW characters

Elle-Jai

Mar 26, 2010
While tempting, I wouldn't delete his characters. Ruin his computer, sure (Here little Trojan.... *disable anti-virus*). You can always get another computer, but the time put into those characters (even at the expense of your relationship) can't be gotten back. NOT TO MENTION, as has been said, sitting down and talking about your relationship works much better. If you can't resolve it, LEAVE AND FIND SOMEONE TO DATE WHO HATES WOW. Job done.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Oh come on, he plays a night elf rogue, he deserves to have his characters deleted! Everyone knows the only reason you roll a night elf is to be a druid.

/nelsonlaugh

WirlWind

Jun 2, 2010
I've had this happen to me. Crazy ex #2 decided that 6 hours a week raiding (over 3 nights)was WAY too much time away from her and deleted my (at the time) 4 lev 70's.

Now, I'm not a violent guy. I've hit maybe 3 people total in my life from sheer anger and even then stopped after the first hit. But I walked in, saw a note saying "I told you I'd do it". After logging in and seeing no characters, I was so infuriated by the fact that she'd done it, I punched a hole in the wall and threw my mouse because it was the closest thing to me.

I didn't get angry because of the chars being gone, I got them back. I got angry because she betrayed me in the most petty and profane way possible; destroying something I enjoyed as a hobby.

We'd had the whole "You play WoW too much" convo before, but I pointed out to her that this was my equivalent of her watching TV, but she couldn't grasp the concept. She did the whole "One day I'll delete your account" and I replied with something like "Well, I'll sell the TV" and we parted company to cool off. I never actually thought she would do it.

Her reasons for wanting me to stop weren't coherent in any sense of normality. All I wanted was 6 hours a week of alone time to do a hobby I enjoyed.

And before the whole "How did she log in?" thing, I tried to get her into WoW when we moved in together. She played on my account for a while but ultimately lost interest.

So I do know how this guy felt. I can understand the anger. I almost put my fist through my monitor but thankfully I have a LOT of self control. The wall and mouse were much cheaper to repair, so I took it out on those instead.

And yes, I sent her packing the next day. And yes, she took the TV -_-

Jenova65

Oct 3, 2009
WirlWind said:
I've had this happen to me. Crazy ex #2 decided that 6 hours a week raiding (over 3 nights)was WAY too much time away from her and deleted my (at the time) 4 lev 70's.

Now, I'm not a violent guy. I've hit maybe 3 people total in my life from sheer anger and even then stopped after the first hit. But I walked in, saw a note saying "I told you I'd do it". After logging in and seeing no characters, I was so infuriated by the fact that she'd done it, I punched a hole in the wall and threw my mouse because it was the closest thing to me.

I didn't get angry because of the chars being gone, I got them back. I got angry because she betrayed me in the most petty and profane way possible; destroying something I enjoyed as a hobby.

We'd had the whole "You play WoW too much" convo before, but I pointed out to her that this was my equivalent of her watching TV, but she couldn't grasp the concept. She did the whole "One day I'll delete your account" and I replied with something like "Well, I'll sell the TV" and we parted company to cool off. I never actually thought she would do it.

Her reasons for wanting me to stop weren't coherent in any sense of normality. All I wanted was 6 hours a week of alone time to do a hobby I enjoyed.

And before the whole "How did she log in?" thing, I tried to get her into WoW when we moved in together. She played on my account for a while but ultimately lost interest.

So I do know how this guy felt. I can understand the anger. I almost put my fist through my monitor but thankfully I have a LOT of self control. The wall and mouse were much cheaper to repair, so I took it out on those instead.

And yes, I sent her packing the next day. And yes, she took the TV -_-
That's too bad dude. But honestly if she was that demanding that 6 hours a week was too much, you are better of without, I can't stand people who watch TV for hours moaning about games, it is the worst example of having no self awareness ;-)

WirlWind

Jun 2, 2010
Oh believe me, I am much happier now :) I barely even play WoW now because I don't have a clingy slightly psychotic gf to escape from. Funny how they only show their crazy once you move in with them, eh?

Jenova65

Oct 3, 2009
WirlWind said:
Oh believe me, I am much happier now :) I barely even play WoW now because I don't have a clingy slightly psychotic gf to escape from. Funny how they only show their crazy once you move in with them, eh?
Lol, I know what you mean (but being female, from the other side) Fortunately I have a very understanding husband - He understands if I can't play then I might decide we don't need Sky and cancel it ;-) Seriously though having a partner who gets why you play is great. I'm glad you are happier :)

Sep 17, 2009
apsham said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
She probably just deleted a decade of his life right there, maybe he deserved it, but she could have just broken up with him and not have been petty about it.
How in the name of god is a video game - any video game, a decade of someone's life?
Because he probably has played WoW for at least a couple years based on his amount of level 80s and his reaction?

I was obviously being hyperbolic (WoW hasn't even been out for 10 years), all I was trying to say is that his girlfriend deleted something that took him a lot of time.

She should have just broken up with him and not have been petty.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
I've been in a similar situation but this guy shouldn't have exploded like that. All he'd have to do is wait a few days at the most for Blizzard to recover his characters. But no, he went ape and kicked his monitor across the room. It doesn't surprise me that she wanted to leave him if that's how he reacted, but that doesn't excuse her either. I haven't been in a relationship before, but I'd say it's both their fault that their relationship is done. The guy probably had anger issues and the girl antagonized him. Either way, they both acted immaturely. The guy obviously handled that situation poorly and the girl filming it and posting it on YouTube isn't exactly good either.

Stuff like this gives World of Warcraft players a bad name. Still, it isn't as bad as this:

UkibyTheMaid

Aug 11, 2009
Cheveyo said:
UkibyTheMaid said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Okay....I think the girlfriend just showed a sign of immaturity right there. If you feel your boyfriend is spending more time with WoW then you, then you don't just delete it all to piss him off. You walk away and find someone new, someone who won't ditch you for a computer game. All she showed me was that when she gets angry, she's just gonna destroy something you worked hard for.
This.

Although I was never in a 'realationship', I believe that's some really stupid move. So, if my guy pays more attention to, let's say, the TV than me, does that mean, I have to tear the TV apart with a chainsaw?

Just walk away with your dignity and maturity intact, that's all I say.
Or talk about it.
As long as you're not:
1. an idiot
2. crazy

You will come to an understanding and either things will change or you'll receive your cue to exit.
Oh, talking would be a quite nice alternative. I would go for that mostly, only if I saw that the guy isn't a moron.

And, if he is, why am I with him to begin with?????

Mr. In-between

Apr 7, 2010
I think it's pretty hilarious, no one should take a game that seriously. I don't care if he's "hardcore" nor if he has "asperger's", it's still funny as all hell.

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
Coop83 said:
Looking at the video, he just went to get some cigarettes and left himself logged in.

He was the architect of his own destruction in two ways.

1) Ignoring his girlfriend for playing time on the computer

2) Leaving her the means to collectively dump a steaming pile of revenge in his lap.

Someone needs to track down this woman and make this into a Mastercard Advert

Sophisticated computer system: £1,000
World of Warcraft Subscription: £20 per month
Packet of 20 cigarettes: £7
Leaving your girlfriend to delete months of your hard grinding: Priceless.
I agree with you completely, sir.

I've never understood the obsession and unyielding, relentless, insane dedication that comes with it. To me, it's just a game =/

WirlWind

Jun 2, 2010
Much worse, sin. MUCH worse. By like triple the amount of time at bare minimum. I have like 87 days /played on my oldest character (since 2005). But it's not just time, you kinda build up an attachment to your toons. You get items that aren't common etc.

It sucks bad logging in to find all that work gone.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Jenova65 said:
Radelaide said:
Sorry, if you ignore your girlfriend for a god damned video game, you deserve that.
No he didn't. He maybe deserved to get dumped IF (and only if) she had raised the issue with him and he didn't listen. Not to mention a lot of people who get fed up about 'obsessive gaming', are the kind of people who want their partner to stop playing and sit watching TV all night, this is the worst kind of hypocrisy - asking someone to trade doing something they have to think about for something that requires no effort at all in a vague attempt to 'spend time together'! At the end of the day we don't know what she thinks is fun, but that was premeditated malicious act that she would know wasn't going to improve their relationship. I ask you, who is at fault really?
Still him. Why should she be made to put up with being ignored by a video game. She probably had spoken to him about it and he still chose to play WoW. What's the bet that he's ignored her on times that are important to her because of WoW?

Has ANYONE in this thread actually thought about her?

Jenova65

Oct 3, 2009
Radelaide said:
Jenova65 said:
Radelaide said:
Sorry, if you ignore your girlfriend for a god damned video game, you deserve that.
No he didn't. He maybe deserved to get dumped IF (and only if) she had raised the issue with him and he didn't listen. Not to mention a lot of people who get fed up about 'obsessive gaming', are the kind of people who want their partner to stop playing and sit watching TV all night, this is the worst kind of hypocrisy - asking someone to trade doing something they have to think about for something that requires no effort at all in a vague attempt to 'spend time together'! At the end of the day we don't know what she thinks is fun, but that was premeditated malicious act that she would know wasn't going to improve their relationship. I ask you, who is at fault really?
Still him. Why should she be made to put up with being ignored by a video game. She probably had spoken to him about it and he still chose to play WoW. What's the bet that he's ignored her on times that are important to her because of WoW?

Has ANYONE in this thread actually thought about her?
Why is he at fault? What did he do to her apart from not pay her more attention, look I am woman and even my attitude is ''Oh, boohoo, if you don't like it - leave. You don't have to be a twat about it'', IF she had spoken to him and asked him not to play so much and he ignored her, and if had done it at 'important times', then more fool her for sticking around, she could always find someone else, it's not like he is the only guy left in the world, FFS.
FWIW, I have tried (as a woman) to see her view, my natural bias should be her point of view, but what she did was petty, childish and vindictive. Ho hum, Karma is a beautiful thing and it will catch up with her. I'm not gonna quibble with you about it though, so let's agree to disagree :)

Sep 17, 2009
apsham said:
apsham said:
She probably just deleted a decade of his life right there, maybe he deserved it, but she could have just broken up with him and not have been petty about it.
How in the name of god is a video game - any video game, a decade of someone's life?
Because he probably has played WoW for at least a couple years based on his amount of level 80s and his reaction?

I was obviously being hyperbolic (WoW hasn't even been out for 10 years), all I was trying to say is that his girlfriend deleted something that took him a lot of time.

She should have just broken up with him and not have been petty.
Or he could have done what any normal person would have done - pretty simple solution that has already been mentioned here multiple times. And that's even if he still has a bit of crazy left in him - if that happened to me I really wouldn't have freaked out.
Yea, but this guy is obviously not a normal person. I wouldn't have freaked out either, but I am sure you can admit that you would be at least a bit pissed haha

Sep 14, 2009
is it just me or is his keyboard LOUD AS FUCK? it sounds like a damn typewriter

although this does suck..and man if a ***** did that to me. i would rage the shit out of her shit

(and by rage i mean have a quiet calm conversation with her and about how she is going to set fire to her entire collection of *insert favorite thing here*)