Scott Cawthon (FNaF guy) cancelled

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The term "cancelling" originated in the black community in the US to refer, literally, to the act of distancing yourself from a person who you no longer want to interact with. Cancelling someone, in this sense, means cutting them out of your life. Like many black vernacular terms, the word was later incorporated into online activism, with broadly the same implications. If you cancel a celebrity, it means you've made a personal decision to cut that person out of your life.

Cancel culture does not exist. It's the invention of right wing provocateurs and celebrities who pretend they love free speech but also don't like people publicly voicing criticism of them.
And the meaning of the term has very much evolved as many terms do. Being triggered used to have a very specific meaning in psychology, these days it's extremely rare the phrase is actually used in that context.

JK Rowling doesn't need to cancel anyone. The people she goes after, the "trans activists" she seems to blame for all societal ills, were kind of already pre-cancelled by virtue of already existing on the margins of public discourse. The trans kids she fought so hard to deny medical care to don't have a voice, they can't question her weird and bizarre antipathy towards them. JK Rowling doesn't have to cut anyone out of her life, she certainly doesn't need to cut anyone out of public discussion, she merely wants to keep people who already don't have the influence or political agency that she has from ever gaining a voice that can contradict her.

If you want to pretend that cancel culture is real, then fine, we can all play pretend, but if you want to pretend that cancel culture is real and yet doesn't include what JK Rowling does, then you're essentially saying that, in the context of public space, might makes right, and that we only owe sympathy to people who already have the influence and the public visibility to tell us how hard done by they are. But then, that's kind of what I've suspected was happening all along..
Are you saying there are no toxic trans activists who are causing issues in society? No others like Jessica Yaniv? That J.K. Rowling is making up all the stalking and threats?

The Trans Kids don't have parent's to talk for them?

J.K. Rowling was concerned because there was very much a push claiming non gender conforming behaviour was evidence of a person being Trans.

I asked who J.K. Rowling has actually cancelled and you can't seem to give an example other than trying to use a far broader definition of cancel culture whereby merely speaking out about something is cancel culture. It would seem despite your claims about Hawki it's very much you who wants certain criticism to not be allowed or you consider it all already a free for all.

What the fuck.

Firstly, is it genuinely that difficult to believe that a group of people who work in the third sector and who are concerned with making the world a better and more equal place might simply adopt inclusive language because it is a good gesture, or, failing that, because it is technically correct. A lot of the people I went to university with ended up in international development, we're talking about highly educated people who often have backgrounds in gender and sexuality studies because these are directly relevant to the work they do. They may be dealing with regions or situations where getting access to sanitary products is particularly difficult or unsafe for trans men and other gender variant and intersexed people, so it's directly relevant to their work.

And they did face backlash and accusations. They faced backlash and accusations because JK Rowling (or, let's be real, her TERF friends on mumsnet) decided to go trawling the internet for some article in a professional journal for people working in development because that was apparently the only place she could go to get angry about people not affirming her view that only women menstruate.

Do you not even see the irony in saying "oh, well this proves how people are shamed and coerced over their use of language" when the people you're defending literally tried to shame and coerce this random article because it didn't use the exact words they wanted, even though they are technically wrong and the readers of that journal would probably have known why.
And yet the language was done initially out of fear of being accused of not being inclusive enough and I hate to say it but I doubt in 3rd world countries that international development groups run into that many Trans men, maybe 1 in their entire careers because most of the time people are just struggling to survive let alone being in much of a position to explore their gender identity.

I'll give you this, people who menstruate isn't quite as insane as "Birthing people" as a term.

She has made her own views, and the degree to which they accord with those of her general circuit, quite clear. Even if we assume she agrees with absolutely nothing else, it's still entirely deserving of harsh criticism.
For being associated with them?

Sadly, it goes a bit beyond that.

For example, "rapid onset gender dysphoria" is a phrase that should set off alarm bells every time you hear it. There's a deliberate, intentional malice to the way ROGD was manufactured, and I say manufactured because they used exactly the same technique as the Andrew Wakefield used to manufacture the claim that the MMR vaccine causes autism.

There are people out there, quite a lot of people actually, who are so invested in their hatred of trans people that they don't actually care whether or not their hatred is justified. They don't even need to be convinced, instead they will invent whatever excuse and whatever evidence they need in order to eliminate sympathy and promote antipathy towards trans people. I don't think JK Rowling is one of those people, but despite her claims at having researched this issue and despite her alleged sympathy, she's being played. The problem is, it doesn't really matter if she still repeats the same things and still perpetuates an incredibly hateful worldview.
I mean technically there's a term called I think it's Gender non identification it's not actually dysphoria but has been mistaken for it a lot (see the stuff about gender non conforming behaviour I posted earlier). It can be a somewhat temporary state, how quickly it cam come on I'm not 100% sure but it wouldn't surprise me if that not actual dysphoria is what they're really on about.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
that would be a Tuquoque.
Oh, this is absolute gold. So you accusing me of drunk-posting four times is absolutely fine, but me doing it isn't. You hypocrite.

You've been choosing so often to read malice into my responses and claim I have ulterior motives to me posting and some hidden agenda.
I used the same line because as you say it was rather clear your were ignoring it and thus ignoring quite a big point in favour of your own narrative.
If "hurrr hurr you sound drunk" is a "big point" of yours, then it must be a very weak argument overall, mustn't it?

I was ignoring it because it was immature drivel.

The logic that means you refuse to accept my stated position as my on despite it being stated 17 times. The logic that I secretly hold some evil alternative agenda here.
I think you've forgotten what this was actually in response to, because this doesn't address the point at all.

I'll repeat the question, but I'll remove me and you from the hypothetical, since that seemed to distract you.

Person A says to person B, "Oh, so you're in favour of demolishing schools, are you!?"

My question: Is person A insinuating that person B supports demolishing schools, or not?

He also presented it in the video as him being fine with and thus fine to support genocide as I already showed evidence for.
You didn't "show evidence". You pointed at the video and just asserted it. The video doesn't contain that claim. This is a lie, and anyone can just watch the video to check.

No they were idiots and I'd say it would reflect badly on them if they were then celebrating the removal that only happened due to the threats. It would suggest they don't care how their intended goals were achieved.
OK, so there's no connection between these criminals and anyone else, then. Let's get back to the topic.

And yet you still refuse to offer any alternative explanations for the positions you seemingly took. Still refuse to clarify your actual position on said things. Refused to take the outs I offered as possible reasons.

The "No bad tactics only bad targets" position is one that some people do very much hold.

So far you've been very unwilling to state an actual position and been trying seemingly to dismiss threats or try to present present criticism as what people are objecting to.

If you went to be and said "You wrote something about Mark Ruffalo and didn't mention how he eats babies, you should mention that" and I think it's complete bullshit and call it out as such that wasn't criticism of me it was trying to get me to join in spreading claims and helping try to shame or demonise Mark Ruffalo for something that there's no evidence for. Hence when claiming that Uncle Bob is harmful and saying some-one should add warnings is equally bullshit.
My position: people can criticise stuff however they wish online, so long as there aren't any criminal or quasi-violent behaviours such as harassment, doxxing or abuse. Such criticism does not constitute "cancel culture".

The creators/ devs/ producers/ whoever-in-the-public-eye then can respond to the criticism, or not. And the critics are then free to buy the products if they want, or not to buy the products if they don't want.

Your Ruffalo/ Uncle Bob comparison is transparent batshittery so it doesn't really warrant a measured reply. At some point, I'm going to just have to start filtering out all the pointless tangential nonsense like that little nugget.

No it does allow the developer to respond and call it bullshit as the developer chose to.
Uh... yes. Obviously. Though since he chose to do so in a way that's incompatible with the subreddit's rules (Rule #4: "Be Nice"), the comment was removed.

So we agree, then. That comment wasn't unlawful in the slightest, despite your bizarre claim to the contrary. Glad that's sorted out.

Turn off the Gaslight it won't work here.
"Everyone who doesn't buy into my utterly extreme interpretation of events, including the attribution of a mob to a single comment, is a psychological abuser!"

Pull the other one, this is pathetic.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Oh, this is absolute gold. So you accusing me of drunk-posting four times is absolutely fine, but me doing it isn't. You hypocrite.
Oh you can accuse me of it. It's just a argumental fallacy often employed by people with no actual cogent points left who just want to try and score cheap points in return to throw the same thing back at a person they perceive as being thrown at them.

Hell fun fact at least one of my replies to you was written after a pint of Gin and Tonic. Though good luck figuring out which one as I'm just as weird while fully sober.

If "hurrr hurr you sound drunk" is a "big point" of yours, then it must be a very weak argument overall, mustn't it?

I was ignoring it because it was immature drivel.
No it's saying your reasoning is very weak in your arguments and the kind of reasoning that can be best explained in a way that is less offensive by the introduction of alcohol when compared to other explanations.

Drunk posting wasn't a "Big point" of mine, it was an out I was giving that you took such offence at and have chosen to focus on rather strongly.

I think you've forgotten what this was actually in response to, because this doesn't address the point at all.

I'll repeat the question, but I'll remove me and you from the hypothetical, since that seemed to distract you.

Person A says to person B, "Oh, so you're in favour of demolishing schools, are you!?"

My question: Is person A insinuating that person B supports demolishing schools, or not?
So why do you keep claiming I'm in favour of demolishing schools because that would be how things fit in this metaphor as you've kept accusing me of wanting to stop all criticism and 17 times I've had to say I'm not? 18 times now.
That's you answer.

You didn't "show evidence". You pointed at the video and just asserted it. The video doesn't contain that claim. This is a lie, and anyone can just watch the video to check.
I literally posed a screencapture from the video with captions on so people could read and see what was being said.........Are you accusing me of going to the effort to fake the caption picture now?
If not then you have no legs to stand on in regards to this point. It was there. You can deny reality or try all the semantic arguments you like but what I claimed was said was said.

OK, so there's no connection between these criminals and anyone else, then. Let's get back to the topic.
Except the people actively celebrating the actions of said criminals because if furthered their goals or objectives...........

My position: people can criticise stuff however they wish online, so long as there aren't any criminal or quasi-violent behaviours such as harassment, doxxing or abuse. Such criticism does not constitute "cancel culture".

The creators/ devs/ producers/ whoever-in-the-public-eye then can respond to the criticism, or not. And the critics are then free to buy the products if they want, or not to buy the products if they don't want.

Your Ruffalo/ Uncle Bob comparison is transparent batshittery so it doesn't really warrant a measured reply. At some point, I'm going to just have to start filtering out all the pointless tangential nonsense like that little nugget.
The Ruffalo / Uncle Bob thing is batshit but it's what has been going on. Uncle Bob is being accused by people of not being safe to be around. What do they expect e's going to pull out an AK-47 and gun down a room full of people for not being Christian enough for his liking? Dude has shown no proclivity for violence at all.

Also the issue comes up regarding libel because if the criticism is based on a lie and the person claiming it knows it's a lie then it's very much not valid criticism.

Uh... yes. Obviously. Though since he chose to do so in a way that's incompatible with the subreddit's rules (Rule #4: "Be Nice"), the comment was removed.

So we agree, then. That comment wasn't unlawful in the slightest, despite your bizarre claim to the contrary. Glad that's sorted out.
Except the commenter they responded to wasn't being nice either but were masking how nasty their were under the veil of civility and politeness. It's like how "The Right honourable......" in UK parliament is used often in a sarcastic manner because they don't believe their opponents are honourable at all lol

"Everyone who doesn't buy into my utterly extreme interpretation of events, including the attribution of a mob to a single comment, is a psychological abuser!"

Pull the other one, this is pathetic.
Me: *points out multiple sources showing concerted effort to cancel Uncle Bob by many individuals. To show the wider context said comment was made in and exists as part of*
You: There was no mob it was a single comment

Did you just not bother to even glance over what I posted there and realise that far more has gone on than a single comment on the Factorio Subreddit or are you really going to try and bang this drum more? Because if so you choose the latter it is gaslighting and I will call it out as such.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Oh you can accuse me of it. It's just a argumental fallacy often employed by people with no actual cogent points left [...]
An accurate description so far...

Drunk posting wasn't a "Big point" of mine, it was an out I was giving that you took such offence at and have chosen to focus on rather strongly.
On a side-note, I find it endlessly amusing when you bang on about something for page after page, bringing it up over and over, and then if anyone else so much as mentions it you accuse them of "focusing on it strongly". There's enough projection in these posts to open a commercial cinema.

So why do you keep claiming I'm in favour of demolishing schools because that would be how things fit in this metaphor as you've kept accusing me of wanting to stop all criticism and 17 times I've had to say I'm not? 18 times now.
That's you answer.
I haven't claimed you're in favour of demolishing schools. That wasn't the purpose of the question. I think the point of the hypothetical has gone entirely over your head.

Can I take, from this, that you agree it constitutes an accusation of demolishing schools, then? I.E., saying to somebody, "Oh, so you support X, do you?" constitutes an accusation that the person supports X?

I literally posed a screencapture from the video with captions on so people could read and see what was being said.........Are you accusing me of going to the effort to fake the caption picture now?
If not then you have no legs to stand on in regards to this point. It was there. You can deny reality or try all the semantic arguments you like but what I claimed was said was said.
You posted a screen-capture of a part of the video where he's talking about legislative attempts to discriminate and deny health coverage etc.

The terminology use can be criticised as inaccurate. Which strikes me as a bit of a glib point to make, in the face of.... legislative attempts to discriminate and deny health coverage, which is somewhat more serious.

Except the people actively celebrating the actions of said criminals because if furthered their goals or objectives...........
I'm sure you have examples.

Also the issue comes up regarding libel because if the criticism is based on a lie and the person claiming it knows it's a lie then it's very much not valid criticism.
By any legal definition, the mild criticism on that forum is not libellous. It contains a value judgement. It does not contain a false factual claim.

Except the commenter they responded to wasn't being nice either but were masking how nasty their were under the veil of civility and politeness. It's like how "The Right honourable......" in UK parliament is used often in a sarcastic manner because they don't believe their opponents are honourable at all lol
This is a perfect example of how you can find ways to decry any criticism you dislike as not "valid".

If it's not abusive, you can just say it's hiding it under a "veil of civility". If it's just a single comment, you can just say it's "appealing to the mob" (no need for an actual mob to be there, of course). etc, etc, etc.

In this manner, you can say you recognise the difference between abusive cancel culture and legitimate criticism... but then you can stretch the definition of the former as much as you like, to apply to any examples you don't personally like.

Me: *points out multiple sources showing concerted effort to cancel Uncle Bob by many individuals. To show the wider context said comment was made in and exists as part of*
You: There was no mob it was a single comment
Ah, so a single commenter can be held responsible for the actions and behaviour of countless others, with whom they're not affiliated in any way, because it's the wider context.

Well, I'm sure you'll be more than happy for me to see your comment as appealing to the mob, too, then. After all, there exists a wider context (on other forums, on other online communities) of right-wing mobby behaviour. I see your comment as part of that context.

Very convenient, isn't it?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
An accurate description so far...
Nice of you to admit you have no actual points left then. Rather unexpected I must say.

On a side-note, I find it endlessly amusing when you bang on about something for page after page, bringing it up over and over, and then if anyone else so much as mentions it you accuse them of "focusing on it strongly". There's enough projection in these posts to open a commercial cinema.
Yet when you first objected to it I'd brought up the idea up what twice in maybe 17 posts at that point?
The idea occupying maybe 1 line out of 30 in the response.
Yet you chose to focus on that specific thing not the points being raised.

Now you're going to present it as me focussing on it when you specifically chose to call that out and present me saying it as some grand attack on your character. When you do such a thing no shit am I going to talk about that aspect and it will become a focus because you chose to use it as the focus of your narrative building here. What am I not allowed to object to your claims? Or is this a case of you trying to use me objecting as evidence in which case that would be a Kafka Trap fallacy.

I haven't claimed you're in favour of demolishing schools. That wasn't the purpose of the question. I think the point of the hypothetical has gone entirely over your head.

Can I take, from this, that you agree it constitutes an accusation of demolishing schools, then? I.E., saying to somebody, "Oh, so you support X, do you?" constitutes an accusation that the person supports X?
Oh no I entirely got the point. I chose to rework the question to direct it back at you. A move which very much seems to have actually gone over your own head. You've kept presenting my position as opposing all criticism being allowed. I've kept refuting that claim (saying in the metaphor "No I'm not in favour of demolishing schools") only for you to refuse to accept it and keep making the same claim against me.

I've refuted your claim 18 times now. 18 times.
That is why I say once again THERE ARE 4 LIGHTS.

You posted a screen-capture of a part of the video where he's talking about legislative attempts to discriminate and deny health coverage etc.

The terminology use can be criticised as inaccurate. Which strikes me as a bit of a glib point to make, in the face of.... legislative attempts to discriminate and deny health coverage, which is somewhat more serious.
You previously claimed he never mentioned Genocide yet there it is in that screencapture. Jim said words to the effect of Scott either endorsed said actions or was fine with them happening.

I'm sure you have examples.
You really want to go down this line?
Really?
Because you know I can and will and then you'll have to pull the "Oh they don't count because they're not authoritative or in enough of a position of power". So shalle we save one another the time and I you realise I probably will be able to present them and I save you the time by me saying even if I find them you still won't accept them or do I have to do this same dance again?

There a token gesture

By any legal definition, the mild criticism on that forum is not libellous. It contains a value judgement. It does not contain a false factual claim.
Yes because that's how the game is plaid with nebulous claims.

His actions and words have hurt a lot of (typically) underrepresented people
So what action has he taken to hurt people and not merely their feelings?
You can claim it's not libellous but it's very close to it and Weasel worded enough to deliberately give the wrong impression.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
This is a perfect example of how you can find ways to decry any criticism you dislike as not "valid".

If it's not abusive, you can just say it's hiding it under a "veil of civility". If it's just a single comment, you can just say it's "appealing to the mob" (no need for an actual mob to be there, of course). etc, etc, etc.

In this manner, you can say you recognise the difference between abusive cancel culture and legitimate criticism... but then you can stretch the definition of the former as much as you like, to apply to any examples you don't personally like.

Tell me how is it civil to present Uncle Bob as having harmed people when at worst he's hurt their feelings?

Tell me how in the greater context of the pushes to cancel Uncle Bob that this example can be considered entirely independent from the rest of the effort and wider context?

I guess no-one can ever be cancelled because every persons saying something is just 1 comment right? Not part of anything larger, no co-ordination at all or concerted group efforts?

That comment was guilded on reddit so some-one supported it.

Ah, so a single commenter can be held responsible for the actions and behaviour of countless others, with whom they're not affiliated in any way, because it's the wider context.

Well, I'm sure you'll be more than happy for me to see your comment as appealing to the mob, too, then. After all, there exists a wider context (on other forums, on other online communities) of right-wing mobby behaviour. I see your comment as part of that context.

Very convenient, isn't it?
Funny how the single commenter acted in line with and parroted the line of countless others elsewhere but somehow they have to be considered their own independent person despite showing 0 evidence of a more nuanced position being held nor having stated otherwise at any point........ All affiliated by their dislike of Uncle Bob and desire to see him deplatformed.

If you'd like to try and accuse me of being part of a right wing mob I hope you have some very very specific evidence where I'm parroting exact things they say with no nuance, best of luck lol

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I was pushing back on your idea that "Cancel Culture" makes people irredeemable. If you get heckled and boycotted online for being a jackass, and people stop heckling and boycotting you after you stop being a jackass, that's hardly "irredeemable" now is it?
Because we're talking about more than harassment, right?
Yes, we are, but you seem to conflate the two.

First, who, out of all the people mentioned in this thread, has been a jackass? And if they were, how many years was it between them being a jackass, and people discovering that they'd been a jackass?

Second, who exactly stopped being a jackass after they were heckled for it? Like, if I do/say something ten years ago, and people discover it, and they heckle me to stop...okay, stop what? Stop what I'm doing to build a time machine, to stop myself being a jackass back then?

Yes, I consider people with a bad take on books and fandoms to be fundamentally different than grifting political operatives fighting for partisan political objectives
And I don't consider people who interpret things in the worst possible light to ruin people's lives, in order to get them and/or their work removed, to be any different. Not unless you adopt the position of "no bad tactics, only bad targets."

Also, "a bad take on books." Wow. That's all it was, is it? Just a bad take.

You might think my take on X-Men is "just a bad take." I knew someone who read Brave New World and saw it as an endorsement of the society depicted - in my mind, that was "just a bad take." I've reviewed stuff and given my intreptation of what the author meant, and they told me I was wrong. That was, in their mind, "just a bad take." When your 'take' is to the extent that you want the book removed and the author's life ruined, we're well beyond "a bad take."

Y'know, it's funny. In one of the libraries I work at, there were poster displays on books that people have attempted to be banned. I went into work today, and found where the posters were still displayed, on everything from The Diary of Anne Frank, to The Wizard of Oz, to The Chronicles of Narnia. I never thought I'd see the day where people have pushed for that, and were excused with "just a bad take."

Reactions: Ender910

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yes, we are, but you seem to conflate the two.

First, who, out of all the people mentioned in this thread, has been a jackass? And if they were, how many years was it between them being a jackass, and people discovering that they'd been a jackass?

Second, who exactly stopped being a jackass after they were heckled for it? Like, if I do/say something ten years ago, and people discover it, and they heckle me to stop...okay, stop what? Stop what I'm doing to build a time machine, to stop myself being a jackass back then?
Gunn did. Before he was hired by Disney. Which is why people were okay with that.
It only became an avenue for a dishonest attack by political agents later.
And I don't consider people who interpret things in the worst possible light to ruin people's lives, in order to get them and/or their work removed, to be any different. Not unless you adopt the position of "no bad tactics, only bad targets."

Also, "a bad take on books." Wow. That's all it was, is it? Just a bad take.

You might think my take on X-Men is "just a bad take." I knew someone who read Brave New World and saw it as an endorsement of the society depicted - in my mind, that was "just a bad take." I've reviewed stuff and given my intreptation of what the author meant, and they told me I was wrong. That was, in their mind, "just a bad take." When your 'take' is to the extent that you want the book removed and the author's life ruined, we're well beyond "a bad take."
Nobody wanted Zhao's life ruined and her book was not involuntarily removed.
Y'know, it's funny. In one of the libraries I work at, there were poster displays on books that people have attempted to be banned. I went into work today, and found where the posters were still displayed, on everything from The Diary of Anne Frank, to The Wizard of Oz, to The Chronicles of Narnia. I never thought I'd see the day where people have pushed for that, and were excused with "just a bad take."
Anyway, Blood Heir was released in November 2019 to decent sales and precisely zero controversy.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Gunn did. Before he was hired by Disney. Which is why people were okay with that.
Really Troma era Gunn is seen as a jackass by some now?

How times changed very quickly from I think it was Yahtzee saying how Splatterhouse was almost quaint it how it was trying to be edgy in modern times and how society was far beyond seeing it as edgy. But now Troma era Gunn is seen as a Jackass for his edgy stuff?

See Stanley Kubrick "Voluntarily" removing A Clockwork Orange from distribution due to threats of what would happen if he refused.

Anyway, Blood Heir was released in November 2019 to decent sales and precisely zero controversy.
Because the majority of the mob had likely moved on my then and because she pulled the book initially she placated them and showed they have power which is often all the mob cares for, making people seem to bend the knee sufficiently to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawki

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
It only became an avenue for a dishonest attack by political agents later.
And what was the result of that attack?

If anything, it's a bizzare scenario where an apology is accepted at one point in time, then it isn't accepted at another point in time for the same thing.

First, among the firestorm were tweets of "she's finished." Tweets that, incidentally, were similar to the ones Ellis received ("you're next"). If people celebrate the removal of a work/person, you don't think that's maybe what they wanted?

Second, "not involuntarily removed." Yeah, sure. If I put a gun to a cab driver's head, but don't say anything as he gets out, did he "involuntarily" get out of the cab? Or did I need to outright say "I want you to get out?"

Are we seriously playing the game of "well, the person didn't outright say something, so we therefore can't prove it?"

A lot of those books I listed are released to zero controversy now, it doesn't change the controversy they had THEN. And the 'controversy' was, in all these cases, something that should have never occurred.

If you disagree with what a work says, or a person says, there's avenues you can follow that don't involve harassment or cancellation.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
And what was the result of that attack?

If anything, it's a bizzare scenario where an apology is accepted at one point in time, then it isn't accepted at another point in time for the same thing.
Yes. It is almost like is was a blatantly astroturfed political attack and not an organic social media culture thing
First, among the firestorm were tweets of "she's finished." Tweets that, incidentally, were similar to the ones Ellis received ("you're next"). If people celebrate the removal of a work/person, you don't think that's maybe what they wanted?

Second, "not involuntarily removed." Yeah, sure. If I put a gun to a cab driver's head, but don't say anything as he gets out, did he "involuntarily" get out of the cab? Or did I need to outright say "I want you to get out?"

Are we seriously playing the game of "well, the person didn't outright say something, so we therefore can't prove it?"

A lot of those books I listed are released to zero controversy now, it doesn't change the controversy they had THEN. And the 'controversy' was, in all these cases, something that should have never occurred.

If you disagree with what a work says, or a person says, there's avenues you can follow that don't involve harassment or cancellation.
Harassment is bad but...nobody was cancelled. This has the same energy as ye olde "somebody said something in a game was bad and the devs changed it and that's censorship" arguments. And you keep getting offended on people's behalf despite then saying what happened wasn't Cancel Culture. There's a fairly popular anti-SJW meme comic floating around that describes that.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yes. It is almost like is was a blatantly astroturfed political attack and not an organic social media culture thing
Well, we're at a crossroads, because I simply don't see it as being organic.

Harassment is bad but...nobody was cancelled.
Then we've got very different definitions of cancelling.

This has the same energy as ye olde "somebody said something in a game was bad and the devs changed it and that's censorship" arguments.
No, it really isn't. Not unless you're conflating "I think X in this game is bad" with me going out of my way to shut the game down and/or ruin the lives of the developers.

And you keep getting offended on people's behalf despite then saying what happened wasn't Cancel Culture. There's a fairly popular anti-SJW meme comic floating around that describes that.
You keep saying people who said that this wasn't cancel culture, when all so far, you've given one example.

Anyway, there's also the concept of cancel culture itself - like, the actual culture and set of beliefs/practices that go with it. Like, if a concept exists, but doesn't harm anyone, does that mean the concept is above reproach? Chances are you're going to respond by saying that cancel culture isn't real, in which case, we're again at a crossroads.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Well, we're at a crossroads, because I simply don't see it as being organic.
Then who launched the attack and why? Because I've got those answers for Gunn. It's very obvious.
Then we've got very different definitions of cancelling.
Yes, you have a very different definition of canceling than Lindsey Ellis, James Gunn, and I do
No, it really isn't. Not unless you're conflating "I think X in this game is bad" with me going out of my way to shut the game down and/or ruin the lives of the developers.
While people not buying the games of somebody they don't like is ruinous for a developer that depends on those sales, it is likewise weird to demand people spend money on things they do not want. If nobody wants to buy your game or book or whatever because you make a habit of showing your whole ass online, that's the market at work. Scott Cawthon's games have not been removed from any platforms, nor have any significant number of people demanded it.
Anyway, there's also the concept of cancel culture itself - like, the actual culture and set of beliefs/practices that go with it. Like, if a concept exists, but doesn't harm anyone, does that mean the concept is above reproach? Chances are you're going to respond by saying that cancel culture isn't real, in which case, we're again at a crossroads.
If a concept doesn't harm anyone, what is there to reproach? I really don't care if somebody believes in something that ultimately doesn't harm anybody. Some people think the earth is flat after all.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Then who launched the attack and why? Because I've got those answers for Gunn. It's very obvious.
Well, I'm tempted to say SJWs (in the same way I'd call the people who attacked Gunn SQWs), but to be more specific, anti-racist activists. And when I say that, I don't mean people who genuinely try to help disadvantaged groups, I mean the people whose idea of justice is to go after easy targets in the name of a cause, who, more often than not, adopt a zero-tolerance, zero-nuance approach, who think they're doing good. The type of people who went after people like Patricia Simon, Greg Patton, and Bret Weinstein. People who take up the mantle of "intentions don't matter, only impact does."

As to why such attacks are launched, I've laid it out plenty of times in this thread. Like, again, with all these examples, we're left with the following possibilities:

1: The activists are sincere in their beliefs, that their line of 'ism' or 'obia' is so severe that the target is deemed to have bypassed it.

2: They're using the veneer of anti-ism/obia to cover for their attacks.

That there isn't a set group doesn't diminish the shared ideology (in lieu of the first possibility). For instance, looking at SQW cancelling, there wasn't a set group that went after people like Sarkeesian or Kapernick, but certainly a set of shared beliefs that drove their actions.

While people not buying the games of somebody they don't like is ruinous for a developer that depends on those sales, it is likewise weird to demand people spend money on things they do not want. If nobody wants to buy your game or book or whatever because you make a habit of showing your whole ass online, that's the market at work. Scott Cawthon's games have not been removed from any platforms, nor have any significant number of people demanded it.
I fully agree.

I mean, to be clear, if I say "I'm not buying X because I don't like the views of the author," that isn't cancel culture. I think it's scummy to likewise demand that people consume a particular media as demanding that they don't. By all means, lay out your views as to why people shouldn't/should, but if you're going to force people to do it, then yikes.

As for Scott Cawthon, the first post I made in this thread was that Cawthon hadn't been cancelled. I mean, dwarf's tweets show people sort of cheering for that, but as far as I'm aware, there's been no demonstrated effort to bring Cawthon down. If people don't buy FNAF, that is absolutely their business, and no-one should criticize them for doing so.

If a concept doesn't harm anyone, what is there to reproach? I really don't care if somebody believes in something that ultimately doesn't harm anybody. Some people think the earth is flat after all.
Well first, cancel culture does do harm. But in the hypothetical scenario that it doesn't, does it make it beyond reproach? I'd argue no, and I'll use the flat earth example as to why.

Some people think the earth is flat. The earth is demonstrably not flat, ergo, flat-earthism is demonstrably a false belief. Why then, would the belief be above critique? Even if it wasn't demonstrably wrong, should we be forbidden from criticizing the idea?

This isn't a licence to attack flat earthers or try and shut down their conferences (yes, there's flat-earth conferences), but I don't buy the idea that ideas and beliefs are above scrutiny. To borrow a quote, "no idea is above scrutiny, just as no person is below dignity." Cancel culture rejects the second part of that idea.

And okay, sure, maybe that idea is wrong. Maybe my oft-centered mantra of "attack the product, not the person" is wrong. But if it is wrong, then where does that leave us? Presumably in a scenario where there's no holds barred, anything goes approach.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
You want an answer for some of the others?
The next person in line hoping to save their neck is the likely answer
Wiston-Churchill appeaser2021-May.jpg

Yes, you have a very different definition of canceling than Lindsey Ellis, James Gunn, and I do
Pretty sure Lindsey Ellis did present what was done to her as cancel culture.

Oh so he death threats and doxxing don't matter and weren't trying to force him to step down from his platform in some capacity? Hell Scott didn't show his ass online some-one found security camera footage of private actions where his ass was visible and waved it round the internet. The free market can choose if people wish to buy your product or not buy it and no-one is arguing any-one should be forced to buy it.

Still doesn't change the fact Scott facing threats, abuse and malicious false claims against him chose to step down to protect his family as he was concerned and had a choice between risk his family or step back from the property he'd built up into a massive franchise.

On some level everything harms people. That is the position seemingly at present. If words can harm and disagreeing views are so so dangerous then every action will harm some-one on some level. The mere act of existing and breathing is adding more CO2 to the atmosphere and slowly helping harm people. Who decides what harm is acceptable? Before as a society we chose the law but as we are now told the law isn't adequate hence we see the mobs choosing their own brand of "justice". But what of those who oppose such a mob? What of those who do not speak up yet for they fear nothing from the mob seeing nout but friendly faces not suspecting they may one day turn when they begin to fear the crocodile themselves?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Well, I'm tempted to say SJWs (in the same way I'd call the people who attacked Gunn SQWs), but to be more specific, anti-racist activists.
No, no, not some undefinable group of "the bad people" who's membership fluctuates based on how you personally feel about their criticism, I mean actual definable people. In Gunn's case, it was Mike Cernovich that pulled the trigger.
Because right now, you're looking an awful lot like you think the people who went through it are wrong and that you know better

Well first, cancel culture does do harm. But in the hypothetical scenario that it doesn't, does it make it beyond reproach? I'd argue no, and I'll use the flat earth example as to why.

Some people think the earth is flat. The earth is demonstrably not flat, ergo, flat-earthism is demonstrably a false belief. Why then, would the belief be above critique? Even if it wasn't demonstrably wrong, should we be forbidden from criticizing the idea?
Literally nobody said you should be forbidden from criticizing it, but if it isn't hurting anybody then who cares?
Long as you aren't harassing anybody over pro/anti it and you aren't the new-nazi vegan rapper, who cares?
And okay, sure, maybe that idea is wrong. Maybe my oft-centered mantra of "attack the product, not the person" is wrong. But if it is wrong, then where does that leave us? Presumably in a scenario where there's no holds barred, anything goes approach.
Aka, the state of affairs that has existed literally forever. You just don't need your own radio show to participate anymore.
"Attack the product not the person" is a fine mantra as long as you don't care who you're giving money to.

Attachments

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
No, no, not some undefinable group of "the bad people" who's membership fluctuates based on how you personally feel about their criticism, I mean actual definable people. In Gunn's case, it was Mike Cernovich that pulled the trigger.
If you're limiting this to actual, definable people, then no-one is accountable. If anything, you're suggesting that if I can get away with shit anonymously, then it's a non-issue.

If I'm part of a group that partakes in an action, but the group doesn't have a defined leader, does that make the group non-accountable? If our actions are heinous, but were done without a set chain of command, does that somehow alleviate it?

The fact that you can identify a ringleader in one scenario and not the other doesn't alleviate the impact of the actions, or the morality.

Because right now, you're looking an awful lot like you think the people who went through it are wrong and that you know better
Right now, you appear to be endorsing doxxing, harassment, and everything else.

Clearly I "don't know better" about every issue in the world, but if the people we're talking about were in the right, then that turns any conventional sense of morality on its head.

...you know, I'll ask it. The people who attacked Zhao. Were they in the right, or the wrong? I asked ages back whether I should have been fired in similar circumstances to a lot of other people on this thread, and so far, no-one's answered.

Literally nobody said you should be forbidden from criticizing it, but if it isn't hurting anybody then who cares?
Are we talking about flat eartherism or cancel culture? Because one of those things is hurting, and the other isn't.

If it's the former, well, it's an idea, and a demonstrably wrong one at that. Even if we're talking about an idea that's not been disproven or is unfalsifiable, are you saying that we shouldn't bother? If it's the latter, then we're dealing with actual harm. If there's harm being done, are you saying that we shouldn't worry about it?

Long as you aren't harassing anybody over pro/anti it and you aren't the new-nazi vegan rapper, who cares?
Well, as this entire thread has demonstrated, clearly a lot of people do care about people who aren't Nazis, but have gone after them anyway.

Aka, the state of affairs that has existed literally forever. You just don't need your own radio show to participate anymore.
I've said before that cancel culture as a practice has been for us forever in some form or another, that doesn't make the practice defensible. You think that other practices like rape and murder being as old as time are therefore justified?

Just because I CAN participate, doesn't mean that I do. And frankly, that shouldn't be worthy of praise, that should be the barest expectation of basic decency.

"Attack the product not the person" is a fine mantra as long as you don't care who you're giving money to.
It's rarely about money.

Take The Last Jedi. Suppose I hate it. I hate it so much that I'm one of the twats who goes after the people who worked on it. Meanwhile, Disney has my money all the same.

We can critique works and absolutely despise them without attacking the people who made them, or the people who consume them.

I don't care about anyone who doesn't partake in something based on their beliefs. They can even start a movement to urge people not to take part in it. But if you're going to start attacking individual people over it, then we've got a problem. Especially if it's a case of people not having power over the product.

For instance, when George Lucas made the prequels, what was his 'crime' that necessitated such vile? Not that anyone tried to cancel him (that I'm aware of), but his crime, as far as I can tell, was making movies that a lot of people didn't like. Ooh, the horror.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Keep telling yourself that.
Not even remotely necessary.

Saying "I disagree with you and here's why" is speech. Making every effort in my power to ruin your life, to prevent you from talking, to getting you fired, is hardly "speech."
What about "X should be fired, and here's why".

Because that's what we're actually talking about, and that is speech. It's literally just speech. The only power it has is the possibility that someone might listen to it. Again, where exactly is this magical line where speech somehow becomes more than speech?

What we're dealing with isn't expression though, it's anti-expression.
I mean, at absolute best its both, but not really.

Also, you still need to define what exactly we're dealing with, because I'm not engaging in this bizarre idea that speech can magically become more than speech if it has negative consequences for someone you think we should care about.

Who's "we?"
Believe it or not, I can see what's going on in this thread, and I can see that you're not convincing anyone, not that you've really tried.

The fact that you can take that tweet and cosntrue it as racist says everything I need to know about how warped your definition of racism is.
If you believe that, then fine, but do you not feel some compelling need to defend to the death my right to have a warped definition of racism?

Like, the point isn't that you don't understand free speech and that's inherently bad and laughable, the point is that you seem on one hand you have this idea that you are a paragon of free speech, that unlike me with my puritanical black and white mentality you can see the shades of grey and find the value even in positions that you disagree with. But you're also concretely and obviously not doing that, at least in this case.

You're upset because people made a criticism of Richard Dawkins that you don't agree with and which you don't think should have happened. Now, to me that's normal, it's a normal expression of a normal opinion. It's exactly what the people criticizing Dawkins were themselves doing. What's weird to me is that you have made it very clear that you don't see this as normal behaviour, that it somehow crosses some line. So, where is the line?

You're trying to equivocate that all cancel culture is violence.
No, I'm not. Again, I don't know how many times I have to say this, but I don't think cancel culture exists at all. I'm just trying to understand why you keep insisting it does, because we seem to be on agreement on this. Speech is speech and violence is violence, and despite the fact they sometimes overlap that doesn't mean that speech can somehow become more than speech, or become some form of implied violence deserving a response beyond that of speech itself.

The contradiction in your position is that, to you, condemning someone for things they say is antithetical for free speech. However, that statement, in and of itself, is condemning someone for their speech. Therefore, you're trying to invent this category of speech that is not really speech (cancel culture) that it's okay to condemn while still being consistent with free expression.

You keep trying to imply that this "cancelling" is more than just speech by trying to equate it with violence or coercion, but it literally is just speech. Many of the examples you're using are literally just people criticizing someone in ways you think they shouldn't.

You're implications for free expression are clear, because you're apparently content for a free for all, no holds barred approach.
I don't think I've made myself entirely clear, so this is probably a good time to explain. I'm not telling you how I think society should be. I'm telling you how I think society actually is, and how it has always been for as long as anyone can remember. There is always a window of acceptable discourse, and stepping outside that window is always dangerous. The idea that saying the wrong thing can result in you getting mobbed or losing your job is nothing new.

The main difference in recent years, and the only possible explanation for the sudden panic around "cancel culture", is that the internet has made public discourse more accessible to a broader range of people. Back when the only way to speak publicly was through newspapers and television, it probably looked as if there was less conflict in society because conflicting opinions were kept out of the media, but that was absolutely a lie. The same conflicts which exist today also existed then, people with the wrong opinions were just deliberately suppressed. The only reason it might ever have seemed like that it wasn't no holds barred is because the people whose holds were being barred couldn't tell you about it.

That's what makes this so ironic to me as a defence of free speech. You're literally seeing a world in which people previously denied any voice or expression are suddenly allowed to speak through the magic of the internet, in a way that was previously only available to a tiny minority. It is probably the greatest expansion of the actual capacity for public free expression in history.

The issue was the sheer hypocrisy involved. Dawkins has been criticizing Islam and Christianity for years, but THAT is what set people off? We're at the point where preferring one form of music to another is a form of racism, which would mean everyone everywhere is racist by the same criteria.
Was Dawkins criticizing Islam, or was he just expressing his preference in music? It can't be both.

If he was criticizing Islam, what was the criticism?

Lots of people discussed here aren't authority figures. If anything, the less authority you have, the more vulnerable you are.
I agree to an extent, but I don't think it's that simple.

Because the people you're talking about do have influence. Even people like Lindsey Ellis and Amelie Zhao have far more influence, as individuals, than their critics, a fact which ironically only increases when they get "cancelled". Lindsey has over a million subscribers (including me). Her response video to her "cancellation" has received over 2 million views, higher than the circulation of any national newspaper here in the UK. That's not to deny that what happened to her was bad, and part of why it's bad is that many people who said the same thing got away with it, which makes it very obvious that certain factors (particularly gender) make some people more vulnerable to this kind of treatment, but it's easy to see how the people responsible could imagine their actions as a critique of authority, as a form of punching up, because they're not entirely wrong.

You mean the tweet where she commented that the Holocaust didn't begin with gas chambers, but rather demonization? Commenting that the shift in US political discourse had become toxic and polarized?
She posted a photo of Jewish people being beaten in the streets by their neighbours, she claimed that the Nazi party "made their own neighbours hate Jews" and then asks how this is different from hating someone for their political beliefs. Which political beliefs do you think she is talking about? Because if you think she is talking about the republicans accusing anti-racist and left-wing activists of being part of some secret communist plot to destroy the country (something which the Nazis, by the way, also actually did) then I've got some magic beans to sell you.

I should not have to explain to you, a supposed adult, the sheer, unbelievable stupidity of that tweet. The Nazis had political beliefs. The idea that Jews were inferior, parasitic beings who needed to be ethnically cleansed was one of their political beliefs. Hating people for their political beliefs is actually kind of important and a thing you absolutely should do. I really struggle to imagine a person so sheltered that they can adopt the facetious position that all hatred is equally unjustified.

You really want to employ that position? You work at a university after all.
I don't at present, I'm currently taking some time out and will probably end up moving out of academia. But if I was still working in a university, I assure you I'd have bigger things to worry about than the possibility of getting "cancelled".

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Because that's what we're actually talking about, and that is speech. It's literally just speech. The only power it has is the possibility that someone might listen to it. Again, where exactly is this magical line where speech somehow becomes more than speech?
Depends on if the claims are:
True
Based in reality
Actually about their job not just some unrelated stuff
Actually connected to their job
Oh and importantly not done just out of spite to screw over a person.

In some circumstances such actions could constitute tortious interference in you're screwing over a rival for a contract or trying to harm an established contract for your own gain.

"Hey this guy should be fired cause he's stealing from you" probably a decently valid reason.
"Hey this guy should be fired cause he's a Nazi the evidence he's a Nazi is that he made a video criticising a prominent feminist on the internet" probably not a valid reason outside of some very specific edge cases.

Right, but if you want me to accept that it's real, you need to be able to define it, which is not something you've managed to do with any consistency.
Yet I did.

Believe it or not, I can see what's going on in this thread, and I can see that you're not convincing anyone, not that you've really tried.
Shit covers blown
*Com crackle*
Requesting immediate Evac to the mars base. use the hollow earth launch site........

If you believe that, then fine, but do you not feel some compelling need to defend to the death my right to have a warped definition of racism?
Doesn't mean people can't tell you it's warped when you express it though

Like, the point isn't that you don't understand free speech and that's inherently bad and laughable, the point is that you seem on one hand you have this idea that you are a paragon of free speech, that unlike me with my puritanical black and white mentality you can see the shades of grey and find the value even in positions that you disagree with. But you're also concretely and obviously not doing that, at least in this case.
Likely mostly because there's plenty of history on the dangers of the roads you seem to wish people to take.
What gloriously compelling argument can you offer for adding more laws to curtail what people can say?
People shouldn't be allowed to say things that make people feel bad?
That people are somehow magically not able to speak while others are still allowed to?

You're upset because people made a criticism of Richard Dawkins that you don't agree with and which you don't think should have happened. Now, to me that's normal, it's a normal expression of a normal opinion. It's exactly what the people criticizing Dawkins were themselves doing. What's weird to me is that you have made it very clear that you don't see this as normal behaviour, that it somehow crosses some line. So, where is the line?
Except they were accusing him of being a secret racist and having some secret nefarious purpose or reasoning to his expressing a mere preference.

No, I'm not. Again, I don't know how many times I have to say this, but I don't think cancel culture exists at all. I'm just trying to understand why you keep insisting it does, because we seem to be on agreement on this. Speech is speech and violence is violence, and despite the fact they sometimes overlap that doesn't mean that speech can somehow become more than speech, or become some form of implied violence deserving a response beyond that of speech itself.
Ok would it help if we called it Drumheading?

How about modern struggle sessions?
Laws were made for a reason to show some cases that some speech is not protect and can harm. It seems more your objections are over what in reality should be considered harm.

The contradiction in your position is that, to you, condemning someone for things they say is antithetical for free speech. However, that statement, in and of itself, is condemning someone for their speech. Therefore, you're trying to invent this category of speech that is not really speech (cancel culture) that it's okay to condemn while still being consistent with free expression.

You keep trying to imply that this "cancelling" is more than just speech by trying to equate it with violence or coercion, but it literally is just speech. Many of the examples you're using are literally just people criticizing someone in ways you think they shouldn't.
So you think people shouldn't be allowed to criticise people and you just actually do oppose all criticism being allowed?
The laws we have are designed to protect everyone's rights and prevent people abusing their right to try and trample over others though some protection of employees would likely help improve protect those rights a bit more, I mean the UK already has some such bits of law.

I don't think I've made myself entirely clear, so this is probably a good time to explain. I'm not telling you how I think society should be. I'm telling you how I think society actually is, and how it has always been for as long as anyone can remember. There is always a window of acceptable discourse, and stepping outside that window is always dangerous. The idea that saying the wrong thing can result in you getting mobbed or losing your job is nothing new.
No but it is more so now people are looking to make sure people get fired. This isn't merely some-one saying F You to the boss or similar. This is a fairly concentrated effort to have people removed from jobs and harm them financially for their speech that might have hurt some overly sensitive persons feelings.
E.G. Ben Kuchera when he tried to get a guy fired because the guy called him an idiot online when Ben Kuchera was yelling about how Tetris was soviet propaganda.
Or the head of Walmart firing people because he was offended by the idea of people using contraceptives at one point.

The main difference in recent years, and the only possible explanation for the sudden panic around "cancel culture", is that the internet has made public discourse more accessible to a broader range of people. Back when the only way to speak publicly was through newspapers and television, it probably looked as if there was less conflict in society because conflicting opinions were kept out of the media, but that was absolutely a lie. The same conflicts which exist today also existed then, people with the wrong opinions were just deliberately suppressed. The only reason it might ever have seemed like that it wasn't no holds barred is because the people whose holds were being barred couldn't tell you about it.

That's what makes this so ironic to me as a defence of free speech. You're literally seeing a world in which previously denied any voice or expression are suddenly allowed to speak, and to criticize, in a way that was previously only available to a tiny minority. It is probably the greatest expansion of the actual capacity for public free expression in history.
Or it's actually ramped up and people have seen how successfully it can be weaponised online in a climate where people expect more instant results and actions to be taken on platforms that more strongly reward knee jerk reaction far more. Also the mobs can be built far more and thanks to echo chambers online the narratives built faster and people less able to easily explore things themselves and less encouraged to do so.

The media loves conflict they love stoking the fires. They did it in the Mary Whitehouse era in the UK so no it wasn't hidden away.

I agree to an extent, but I don't think it's that simple.

Because the people you're talking about do have influence. Even people like Lindsey Ellis and Amelie Zhao have far more influence, as individuals, than their critics, a fact which ironically only increases when they get "cancelled". Lindsey has over a million subscribers (including me). Her response video to her "cancellation" has received over 2 million views, higher than the circulation of any national newspaper here in the UK. That's not to deny that what happened to her was bad, and part of why it's bad is that many people who said the same thing got away with it, which makes it very obvious that certain factors (particularly gender) make some people more vulnerable to this kind of treatment, but it's easy to see how the people responsible could imagine their actions as a critique of authority, as a form of punching up, because they're not entirely wrong.
Yeh no I'm not playing the power dynamics games. The Mob generally always will be able to shout louder and drown out the individual.

She posted a photo of Jewish people being beaten in the streets by their neighbours, she claimed that the Nazi party "made their own neighbours hate Jews" and then asks how this is different from hating someone for their political beliefs. Which political beliefs do you think she is talking about? Because if you think she is talking about the republicans accusing anti-racist and left-wing activists of being part of some secret communist plot to destroy the country (something which the Nazis, by the way, also actually did) then I've got some magic beans to sell you.

I should not have to explain to you, a supposed adult, the sheer, unbelievable stupidity of that tweet. The Nazis had political beliefs. The idea that Jews were inferior, parasitic beings who needed to be ethnically cleansed was one of their political beliefs.
If Biden can call for unity why couldn't Gina too? Is calling for unity only allowed by 1 party? She specifically didn't mention a party.
Also fun fact the Nazis also weaponised calls for empathy to shut down and silence people and used claims about how certain comments lacked appropriate empathy and could offend so weren't allowed.

I don't at present, I'm currently taking some time out and will probably end up moving out of academia. But if I was still working in a university, I assure you I'd have bigger things to worry about than the possibility of getting "cancelled".
Until it came for you that is.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well that depends on the "why" part. Like, what did they do, and what's my rationale for saying it?

Most of the examples in this thread are of people writing/saying something. We're not talking about actual crimes.

I don't know if I'd use the metaphor of "more than speech," but I'd say the line is when one form of speech is used to shut down another form of speech, rather than contesting it.

Like, if there's a person I disagree with, I can either:

a) Contest the idea

b) Prevent them from expressing the idea

I'd say there's a line between those two concepts. It's a line that's not always clear, but it's a line that exists.

I mean, at absolute best its both, but not really.

Also, you still need to define what exactly we're dealing with, because I'm not engaging in this bizarre idea that speech can magically become more than speech if it has negative consequences for someone you think we should care about.
I've defined it over and over, and set the line. You don't see a line. I mean...okay, sure, but that does mean that again, we're at a crossroads.

Also, "someone you think we should care about." Okay, first of all, it's clear that there's some overlap as to the people we do care about - you care about Ellis, and while she isn't the first person who would come to mind for me (as I said, she really didn't need a 1hr video), you and I agree that what happened was shit, so we're not really in the extent of mutual disagreement you seem to imply.

Second, there's lots of people on this thread that I don't particuarly care about. That isn't the point. It's the principle. Because if I'm operating on the principle of "well, it's only bad when it happens to X, but sucks if it happens to Y," then that isn't really a principle that's being applied.

Okay, hand on my heart, in all sincerity, I don't know what you mean.

You...think this is some kind of self-preservation thing? Am I worried that people in my 'group' are suddenly at risk? I can sort of infer that, but again, hand on my heart, it isn't. Most of the people on this thread live in different countries, are of different backgrounds, with a sizable portion of the opposite gender, and different ethnicities. I've always been aware of cancel culture in form, if not in name (book banning, social ostracization, etc.), but I honestly thought that society was getting past that. Then Gamergate happened, and since then, it hasn't really abated. Maybe it's never reached that level of intensity, but the practice has become solidified. What's more, judging by this thread, a lot of people either don't see it, or at worse, endorse it.

As I laid out below, what sucks about cancel culture is that the less power you have, the less protection you have against it. I'm also not fond of the idea of shutting down debate, because that's not how ideas should be discussed. And while this has kicked into overdrive in two key countries (the US, and UK), that does make me worried for a number of reasons. First, what happens there will eventually come here, and I dread to think if I actually had to live through the toxic polarization of the US, and now, according to recent reports, the UK. Second, I do have some emotional investment in the UK since I'm British on my father's side, so yes, I've only been there a few times in my life, but I have a level of emotional investment as to what goes on. Third, I'm no stranger to bullying, and while I'm not calling myself a victim, cancel culture pisses me off because not only is it so often cruel, and petty, and vindictive, it's done under the veneer of being just, and often assumes the worst in people (by extension, this ties into the idea of intent vs. impact, and the idea of the former being irrelevant). There's no shortage of people in the world who've suppressed ideas and ostracized people with, at times, the best intentions, so why would we endorse that practice now? Fourth, it's a disaster for discourse - I've read no shortage of letters from professors and teachers (almost always published under pseudonyms) who are basically treading on eggshells lest they do something that offends their students. Fifth, and from a purely partisan point of view, while the right is no stranger to cancel culture, how does it look when the left engages in the same practice? When you have mobs of screaming students on campus, or infighting and cancellation on people who'd actually agree, how does that go down in politics? I mean, you live in the UK, how's Labour doing these days?

Obviously not everyone in history has had the same access to voice their thoughts and opinions, but if you want to level the playing field, it strikes me as a terrible idea to do so by tearing people down rather than raising other people.

Whether you believe me or not is up to you, but that's the honest truth. Cancel culture, at this point in time, is very unlikely to affect me, even if I'm aware of the possibility. It's everyone else I'm concerned about, and yes, that does mean everyone.

Don't know if I'd do it to the death, but absolutely I'd defend your right to that definition.

Well first, I'm hardly a paragon, though I've certainly felt it on this thread at times. FFS, I can't even get GX to condemn what happened to Zhao, and no-one has yet answered the question of whether I wrote/said something the equivalent of what's got other people fired. Like, I could at least appreciate the moral consistency there.

Second, I don't think you have a puritanical black and white mentality per se, if anything, it's all grey. For instance, as has been established, I believe cancel culture is a thing, and hate speech is a thing, and while the lines can often be blurry, the lines are SOMEWHERE. You, however, seem to have this view of "speech is speech." Which, taken to its conclusion, means anything goes. If you're giving a lecture, and I do everything in my power to shut you down, I don't think you'd appreciate the excuse of "well, I'm just executing my right to free speech."

The criticism of Dawkins for that specific tweet isn't the issue, it's the double-standards that the whole affair represented that irritates me.

Dawkins has been criticizing Christianity for ages, and no-one bat an eyelid. I mean, okay, maybe some people did, but it never really set off a controversy. Then he started criticizing Islam. Again, not really sure how much of a controversy it stirred, but probably not much. However, then we get to this one, single tweet, where Dawkins states that he prefers church bells to the adhan. That's what sets off the controversy. I mean, really? This guy's been criticizing Christianity and Islam for years, you're only now going to start calling him an Islamophobe? And if you are calling him an Islamophobe, then explain his anti-Christian stance. He's been equally scathing of both religions (actually, more anti-Christian, at least by time), but it's the "Islamophobia" that sets you off?

Peering into the outrage and the articles penned, I looked around and saw a clear pattern. People didn't have any real problem with Dawkins criticizing Christianity (if they did, they never mentioned it), but Islam? That's what set off the alarm bells for people. You can't hide hypocrisy forever.

The Batley Grammar School incident is another example of both cancel culture and hypocrisy. I thought we were well past the days when Christian puritans had power to dictate what was taught in schools (intelligent design) or wasn't (sex ed), but now people are bending over backwards and allowing another Abrahamic religion to call the shots. The act itself is bad enough, but like I said, double standards.

Well, again, we're at a crossroads. I've laid out how I'd define cancel culture numerous times. You may disagree, but I can't really elaborate any more on my position that I already have.

So why support the practice then? If we agree that it's bad (and we seem to), why not try and alleviate it?

That's what makes this so ironic to me as a defence of free speech. You're literally seeing a world in which people previously denied any voice or expression are suddenly allowed to speak through the magic of the internet, in a way that was previously only available to a tiny minority. It is probably the greatest expansion of the actual capacity for public free expression in history.
You know, I actually agree with you that the Internet has been a net positive, in that, among other things, it's allowed more voices to be added to the overall discussion, including voices that may not have had platforms originally. However, two things. One, if you suddenly have the power to wield influence, it doesn't excuse you using that influence for malign purposes. Two, a lot of the examples of cancel culture aren't really 'good' targets. I mean, say you're against some 'ism or 'obia or whatever. Say you want it to end. Okay, fair enough, that's a sound goal. How the hell is going after stuff like Ellis, Zhao, Gunn, or so many other people listed here, actually going to help?

I mean, I can either put this to the other side of the political spectrum. You have Sarkeesian, who claims that games are full of misogeny. You get outraged, attack her, try to cancel her, and in doing so, are proving her point. Well done, genius.

I don't believe in the idea of "no bad tactics, only bad targets," but FFS, how is this helping anyone? It would be bad enough by itself, but attach a cause to it, and, well, there's no shortage of disasters in history that were caused by good intentions, and that remains true on the micro-scale as well.

Was Dawkins criticizing Islam, or was he just expressing his preference in music? It can't be both.

If he was criticizing Islam, what was the criticism?
In that specific tweet, making a music comparison.

Like, I can entertain the notion of someone seeing it as Islamophobic. There's a train of logic you can follow. But why that tweet? Why now?

Again, say you want Islamophobia to end. Okay, sound goal - "Islamophobia" is a term that's used way too much IMO (same way people may cry out anti-semitism as a method of shielding Israel from criticism), but any harassment of someone based on their religion is harassment I'll never condone. Okay. So your means to alleviating Islamophobia is...attacking someone for preferring church bells to the adhan.

I haven't really touched on the 'tactics side' of thing this thread, but there's no shortage of dunderhead moves that people have made when following a cause.

I should not have to explain to you, a supposed adult, the sheer, unbelievable stupidity of that tweet. The Nazis had political beliefs. The idea that Jews were inferior, parasitic beings who needed to be ethnically cleansed was one of their political beliefs. Hating people for their political beliefs is actually kind of important and a thing you absolutely should do. I really struggle to imagine a person so sheltered that they can adopt the facetious position that all hatred is equally unjustified.
I've said that I wouldn't make the Holocaust comparison, because as bad as things are in the US right now, it hasn't reached 1930s Germany levels of hatred. However, I do stand by the sentiment of the tweet.

Like, for reference, here's the tweet:

Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors... even by children... Because history is edited, most people today don't realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?"

To me, the sentiment is clear. Polarization in the US is high, to the point where Democracts and Republicans (or people generally on either side of the spectrum) hate and distrust each other so much that they see the other side as being a threat to the country (you can check the surveys, this isn't an exageration). Clearly, one 'side' doesn't have power over the other to the extent that they can round them up at will, and Carano is likely more concerned about her own 'side' than the other, but what's objectionable? If you have a situation where people loathe one another to the extent that they do, in a country as divided as this...maybe that's something to worry about?

Heck, I worry about it, and I don't even live in the US. I've made no secret of my disdain for the GOP, but I'm not going to cast everyone who falls on the right as an inherent monster/enemy to the country.

Alright, but that doesn't answer the question.

If I make all effort to get you removed/censured, using any and all means possible (including things you might have said a decade ago, and/or presenting stuff you've written/said in the worst possible light), you don't think that maybe, possibly, I wasn't acting in good faith? That there wasn't a difference between that and me simply giving views in opposition to yours?

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble